Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC coated cast boolits velocity

PC coated cast boolits velocity

How fast can a powder coated boolit be pushed? Not gas checked just powder coated. I would like to work up a load for hunting but would rather not gas check if possible. Just an expense thing and I don't have any gc molds.

thanks

Boolit Master

That will depend on a couple of different factors.

What bullet in what kind of firearm with what rifling twist in what calibre?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

240gr Lee mold truncated cone wheel weights. 1894 Marlin .44 mag Ballard rifling. I believe it's 1:38 twist.
    Last edited by thumbs; 07-29-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master

You can push that bullet as hard as you want in that rifle.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Vendor Sponsor

I am confident that with right alloy, a good fitting bullet and properly pc'ed bullet you can
    find a load at 1600-1700 fps
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Ok now remember these will be just powder coated not gas checked. I have never had any problems with pc bullets but I have never recovered one. Im just going by the looks of the barrel. No signs of gas cutting. Read an article, true or false, that pc eliminates the need for gas checks. Never pushed my cast boolits fast enough to see. I guess I'll be finding out.
    thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'll be finding out

That's the correct answer as you can push them as "fast" as safe loads will permit. The real question is; what kind of accuracy are you willing to accept?

Now I have to ask; you want to work up a load for hunting....correct? If so then how many bullets do you use a year "hunting"?

Many years ago I bought a 429244 GC mould and a box of 1,000 Hornady GCs to use for hunting. I developed the load and got in a bit of range practice with it out to 100 yards (max range for me with a revolver). Still had 2/3s of those GCs left. They lasted a long time, several years actually, since I used a PB'd Keith bullet for most of my "shooting". I got a M94 carbine and used quite a few of those GCs on the 429244. Then I got the 429640HP Devastator and another box of Hornady GCs but still had a hundred or so of the original box left. Done a lot of shooting/testing, mostly testing, of the Devastator over the last few years and just finished off that 2nd box a few months back and go another box.

I've shot a lot of PC'd bullets testing them (rifle and handgun, GC'd and PB) and frankly see no "improvement" in accuracy or anything else over regular lubed bullets GC'd or not. Actually the GC'd lubed cast bullet is still the best performer for accuracy, non fouling and terminal performance on game. Maybe someday that will change(?) but so far I've not seen it. So how much does a GC'd mould and 1,000 GCs cost compared to PC?

Anyway the point I'm making is; for "hunting" 1,000 GCs will last a long, long time, probably numerous years if just used for "hunting".....the GC'd lubed bullet cast soft will give the best accuracy you'll get out of your rifle with a cast bullet........ and will give superior terminal results. So is $30 +/- really that much of an expense to get the best out of your rifle?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Yep your right. I would like to be accurate but as much energy as possible. Kinda a trade off. It really makes no sense to spend tons on setting up for hunting bullets. I know most of my stuff shoots better than store bought ammo. I guess thats the point right. Anyway again the idea is if I can push them to 1600fps then 1300 should be no problem. Now I'm about 1050fps just plinking rounds. Fun rounds to shoot. Good accuracy but I just would like a little more power for hogs and deer. Accuracy is always #1. If you can place it right what I am shooting now is enough.
    Just wanted to be safe no matter where I ended up velocity wise. I have a couple of loads I want to try in the 1300fps range. Just didn't want to over push the PC.

Now, thumbs, I'd like you to keep things in perspective here, you sound a bit like me. If I shot a 1 1/2" group, I've had a banner day, even with just three shots.
    Now Larry on the other hand, if he shoots an 11/2" group with ten shots, he's pissed and trying to figure out why he had a flyer! Most of these guys attain a level I can only dream of!
    Not trying to baxmouth anyone, just keeping things in perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Should be able to get full jacketed fps. I push a 145gr with H110 to 2100 in BO, 30/30 180gr RD to ~1800. Both PCd and PB. It will depend on alloy & fit. I'm not a very good lever gun shooter but this was @ 50 may years ago when i first started PC. Didn't chrony that load but 15gr gives 1750 in the 30/30. 17 should be 1900? PC is not the limiting factor, boolit fit and alloy are.
    Attachment 200830
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Now sawinredneck, I too keep things in perspective. Let's just take the 44 Magnum in a rifle for instance....A Rossi M92 rifle with 24" barrel in this instance. Some time last year a local guy called me and asked what top end magnum load I recommended with the Lee C429-240-SWC cast of COWWs + 2% tin. I recommended 22 gr A2400 or 23 gr H110. Called me back a few days later and said that was the worst load he'd ever shot. I queried as to the load specifics. He used 23 gr H110, WLP primers in R-P cases. I asked if he was using Hornady GCs. Said he didn't need to as he was PCing them. I told him to bring some over along with his cases and the rifle.

His bullets were a very pretty green color and looked good. He had sized them at .432". I sized 10 at .430", lubed with BAC and put Hornady GCs on them. Loaded another 10 just as he had. We then slipped off to the range (it's only 10 minutes away). He shot the 10 w/o GCs and lube at 100 yards ....barely held minute of 5 gallon bucket.....he was not impressed nor was I....! Then we cleaned the barrel and got the fouling out, no leading but you could feel the fouling with the 1st wet patch pushed through. Then he shot the 10 that I had GC'd, lubed and size at .430". They went into 5" overall with 8 of the 10 being in right at 3". He was elated as that was the best he'd ever shot with that rifle using the factory sights. I thought it was pretty good also given the sights......

Ran into him at the range a few weeks back......he said he gave up on PCing for his top end loads. He still uses it for his blastin ammo though.........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Ha thanks guys. Yeah I'm not happy until I get what I think is the best I can do. Shooting from the bench and at game in the bush are two entirely different things. I just want to get a load I can believe in and feel comfortable with. Heck to tell the truth not even sure what I should be happy with at 50yds with the .44 1894.

Banned

you'll be fine.
    you don't need powder coating nor a gas check to do what you want.
    don't over think it.

Boolit Master
    Is there any general accuracy advantage to powder coated bullets over conventionally sized and lubricated bullets? I have no experience with the powder coating process.

Boolit Bub
    I would say load a few and see what happens.

lotech - I haven't found any. But I can only compare T/L with coating. I am finding that PC for softer alloy works where T/L without GC doesn't. I mean like nearly pure Pb. Seems the T/L can't survive the gas cutting as well as PC.
    Reminds me of an experiment, IIRC Gearnasher, glued some paper punch dots on the base which worked at moderate fps. Hmm, just dip the base in HiTek, cook and BLL?
    Whatever!

lotec

I too can not say about the accuracy. I'm not a competition bench rest shooter. My problem was leading. I could not get lead bullets to shoot and not lead the barrel. I went to PC and it stopped the leading. The loads are pretty accurate although I don't have any data using lead or pc bullets to compare to. I do know they are more accurate in my firearms than factory.

Popper

Thanks. I was considering going gc pullets. Funny I get close to your accuracy with my .44 but I am getting flyers. I just started playing with these loads so it very well may be barrel heating. I just didn't know if you can push these to hunting velocities. I started with plinking loads. Gonna up the game soon and see what happens. I'm using wheel weights

Banned

you don't need a ton of velocity to hunt with.
    I don't use my 2400 or H-110 loads for hunting.
    9.3grs of unique is more than plenty to make holes in a 2-250 lb deer.
    you also don't need 300gr bullets.
    you just need to have a deer come within 100 yds of where you happen to be standing/sitting at the time.

Boolit Grand Master

"9.3grs of unique is more than plenty to make holes in a 2-250 lb deer.
    you also don't need 300gr bullets
    ."

2nd post you could get burned at the stake for.....heresy.....to many.....

I always figured the deer I killed with 7.5 gr under a 429421 (Skeeter's 44 SPL load) before the internet just died from ignorance........again, another post well put runfiverun.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast