Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Another old Ideal powder measure...

Boolit Buddy

Another old Ideal powder measure...

The Ideal Powder Flask...
    Attachment 200725

Patented in 1889 by Francis J. Rabbeth, a noted marksman of old who wrote under the pen name of "J. Francis", and appearing in the Ideal Handbooks from No.1 (1891) through No.11 (1899). The flask would hold 3/4 of a pound of Black Powder, and the adjustable measure was graduated from 5 to 135 grains, and from 1/4 to 5 drams. The novel feature of the Ideal Flask was the internal drop tube which passed through the body of the flask, which aided in settling the black powder in cartridge case, and the "shaker" on the bottom which was to be rotated by holding the cartridge case tight against it and giving it a turn. This served to help further settle the powder in the case.

This one turned up on one of the auction sites recently:
    Attachment 200727 Attachment 200728 Attachment 200729 Attachment 200730

Originally, this would have been completely nickel plated. Its present condition leads me to wonder just how much use was necessary to wear the plating almost completely away... must have been a favored tool for someone in days gone by!

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a great flask for BP shooters, nice condition too!

It looks like it was never plated or it was stripped due to flaking maybe? Either way, it is still a great piece.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned
    I have heard that Hoppe's or something like that would take the plating off.
    But that one is totally devoid of plating.
    Makes me wonder?
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    It doesn't show well in the photos, but the nickel - although ex-TREME-ly thin - can still be seen on the surface of the flask body, under just the right light. Greater traces yet remain on the ends of the flask, although suffering from what must have been a great deal of use. Of course, the possibility exists that some previous hands set to work to purposefully remove the plating, but I'd prefer to think the old flask was a favored tool that was used for many decades and the plating simply - and naturally - wore away due to constant use and handling.

Banned
    It does look different. Thats a lot of use to wear away all the plating.

On a somewhat different topic I won a #1 lubesizer last night with a brass hopper. And a different type of wrench. It will be here next weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw that No.1 with the brass reservoir. I wonder if the different style handle (looked to be machined from a flat bar of steel) was a late Lyman move away from the cast iron handle, perhaps as a cost reduction. Was curious, also, if the reservoir was left unplated as another cost reduction? Would lead me to think it may be from one of the last runs of the old No.1.