Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: using shot data to load buck and ball

using shot data to load buck and ball

hi hope someone can help i am looking to load a buck and ball and my total weight is 1 3/8 i was wondering if i can use shot data of the same weight as my load data subtracting 10% charge to start what are your thoughts thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a book of buckshot loads. If you can be a bit more specific about the components I may be able to pass on some data.
    The answer to your question hinges on the components you plan to use. You need to provide more detailed info.

An ounce is an ounce is an ounce. As long as your components are the same as published you can (almost) use any projectile of given weight.

This is done for Lee 1 oz slugs. You can do a straight substitute shot/slug for any one ounce recipe

Boolit Grand Master
    No need to start 10% under IF all the other components are the same as the shot load.

In any case, you cannot tell if you have an over pressure load with shot shells as they run at too low a pressure. Not like rifle loads where you get flattened primers.

Use published data and you will always be safe. And by "published" I do not mean anything written on forums like this. Use manufacturers data.
    Don Verna

Great thanks dverna for the help the reason for the 10% reduced is because I'm using a different wad. But the primer,powder, and lead weight is the same thanks again

Boolit Master

Yep, changing of the wad is usually what causes the most drastic change in pressure with the shotgun. Are you checking velocity of the load against published data?

I loaded a few to try to see were is my velocity so I can compare thanks

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    In UK we have a very old and well tried shotshell loading regime we term Long Range/Low Velocity that was originally adopted for loading heavy shot charges for wild fowling, etc. in standard guns. How it works is that recognising large shot (US 5 and larger) retains velocity/energy much better than small shot, a load of this larger shot can be started slower (say 1000fps), and therefore at a lower pressure, but still retain required striking velocity/energy on target.
    A bonus to this is usually a better and tighter pattern spread.
    I have used this system for buck shot with good results and well within pressure limits.
    For tightest patterns with buckshot I have found a very open choke to be best.