Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaporust

Boolit Master

Evaporust

I bought a Magma mold off of eBay for my Master Caster. Fortunately, I didn't need it desperately because it was old and sad. I have been trying to get it to drop usable bullets on and off for a while. The mold cavities seem to be rougher than my other Magma molds. I've tried cleaning it with everything from mild soap and water to oven cleaner. No change.

Out of desperation I dropped it into a container of Evaporaust and left it overnight. The next morning I was surprised to find the solution had dramatically changed color. It was very cloudy and contaminated.

I fished it out, a black slime covered it. I cleaned it up. At least it looked better. Was it a miracle? Nah, it is better though. At least it did something. If I pay strict attention to my casting speed/temp I can get OK bullets out of it.

The better answer was that Evaporust didn't hurt it. I'm not sure I would recommend it for routine cleaning but for problematic molds that are less shop worn, it may well be a pretty good answer.
    [

Boolit Master
    I found Evaporust works very well On my stuff.. The black slime Is left if you use the Evapo rust Over and Over again.
    I try depending On the piece put the parts in small Containers and keeping the clean stuff from the used. for some reason The black slime get More and More on the used solution
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

I use CLR rust remover. It works like magic for me but your description of the mold sounds worse than anything I have seen.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Why did you think it would harm the mold? Evaporust is specifically designed to not harm parts.

Boolit Master
    I've used Evaporust on many items but not molds, although I would on a rusted one if Kroil and a gentle brushing did not fix it. If I did use Evaporust, I'd follow up with Kroil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Why did you think it would harm the mold? Evaporust is specifically designed to not harm parts.
    Meh? The way molds work or not work are sometimes like voodoo. I would bet there are a fair number of folks who would sooner have you dunk one of their kids in Evaporust than one of their molds.
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I found Evaporust works very well On my stuff.. The black slime Is left if you use the Evapo rust Over and Over again.
    I try depending On the piece put the parts in small Containers and keeping the clean stuff from the used. for some reason The black slime get More and More on the used solution
    I'm glad you told me that...this Evaporust was previously used...it looked clean but I guess not enough.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Meh? The way molds work or not work are sometimes like voodoo. I would bet there are a fair number of folks who would sooner have you dunk one of their kids in Evaporust than one of their molds.
    That's really absurd. It's a simple casting mold. Evaporust isn't going to harm it. If the mold has been damaged by the rust Evaporust can't fix it. It's the best option for rusted items.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's the best option for rusted items.

DITTO ! !

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's really absurd. It's a simple casting mold. Evaporust isn't going to harm it. If the mold has been damaged by the rust Evaporust can't fix it. It's the best option for rusted items.
    X3. I've used it several times and like it a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a wire wheel on my grinder. It gets any rust and small stuck pieces of lead. Does not harm my molds.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am a big fan of white vinegar... I have used it to clean all sorts of steel,and rusty stuff... even old axe heads come out free of rust... I have a coffee can in my shop with a lid... drop in the rusted crummy whatever, and remove it the next day, completely rust free.. never failed me yet, and it's dang cheap..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    The black slime that needs washing off is normal. Evaporust isn't "spent" until it turns a rusty color. Then you get no black slime, and no rust removal, either.

Sometimes when the pitting is the right size, removing the rust will empty out the pits and make a stickier surface for the molten lead to interlock with. It then takes more effort to release the casting. A minor amount of lapping or polishing usually cures this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    I use a wire wheel on my grinder. It gets any rust and small stuck pieces of lead. Does not harm my molds.
    You forgot the purple text color to indicate sarcasm.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

Its good to hear that Evaporust is that safe. I would be really hesitant to use a wire wheel on a bullet mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    Always wanted to try it.
    Could never find it here.
    Walmart, Home Depot show they have it, but they don't.
    Vinegar is a strong acid. Won't it hurt the metal?????

Boolit Master
    Evaporust has gone mainstream in the past couple years. Used to have to be ordered, but lately I've seen it at Lowe's and even at Harbor Freight.

Acetic acid (vinegar) is a weak acid, and shouldn't hurt an iron mould with moderate exposure and careful watching. You might do better with citric acid, which is an even weaker acid, but a good complexing agent. It will carry off the rust and not touch the iron.

Evaporust has some kind of preservative in it that keeps after-rusting at bay until and unless the part is washed off. Then it needs drying and oiling. But it's perfect for people like me who forget what I have put in the derusting bucket for days at a time. It's also Natural&Organic, and one of the very few things in that category that actually work well.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Rotary Tumbler - ceramic media - Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution:

Several hundreds of dollars of parts brought back to life!
    Regards
    John

Harbor freight carries it also. First thing to do with evaporust, if you want the longest lifeis to remove any, and all grease and oil. Especially grease. It will quickly contaminate and make solution ineffective. Won't harm any metal. Ive used to restore several severely rusted machines. Great stuff.

Boolit Master

EVAPO-rust is also great for removing bluing,which was where the black slime most likely came from.it washes off easy,I us we it for lots of stuff.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast