Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, 1 more 38 Special load

Bullseye. But I'm liking Red Dot lately but Bullseye IS the .38 sol powder IME.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I use 3.3 gr of Clays in both 38 LC and 38SPL and 158 gr SWC and RN. Velocities are in the 830 ft/sec with excellent groups at 50 yards. This is my ICORE load with low smoke and no ash under the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Thanks Char-Gar.
    Does that 3.0 gr BE load shoot to the sights of a fixed sighted snubnose when using 160 gr bullets?
    It does in my pistols, but snubs can be problematic. The load does shoot to the sights olf my longer barrel Colts and Smiths. As you know all can be sensitive to how they are held.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Thanks Char-Gar

I have a 4" Model 64 that will not shoot a 160 grain SWC to the sights until you get the load at or near max velocity for standard pressure 38 Special. However it shoots beautifully once you get the load up to speed. The load for that gun seems to be a 160gr. SWC over 4.4 grains of WW231. That load is at the upper end of standard pressure and may be +P, depending on which manual you believe. I use that same load in a couple of Service-Six's and GP-100's; and it's not even close to stressing those strong guns. Plus it shoots great!
    In other guns that load is a bit warm for long term use. My solution was to go to a solid wadcutter and drop the powder charge back but when I got under 4.0 grains of WW231 - those loads got squirrelly in some of the guns (although not in others). Again, most of the guns are more than strong enough to handle those loads but I don't wish to abuse the alloy framed revolvers in the stable.

So, It looks like I'm headed for a 158-160 grain SWC with somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5 grains of Bullseye. I have a couple of hundred nickel plated cases and I think I'll use those to differentiate the Bullseye loads from the WW231 loads.

I use Bullseye from time to time and always keep a pound or two on the shelf but WW231 has always been my choice for 38 Special. I may be a little too set in my ways.
    Thanks to all that offered advice.

I'm having fun with 4.6 grs Bullseye and the 105 swc Lee. I hurt my shoulder so haven't been shooting but I shot 12 rds in 2" yesterday at twenty feet offhand. I have lots of 158swc over 3.5grs Red Dot to try today.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    I use 3.3 gr of Clays in both 38 LC and 38SPL and 158 gr SWC and RN. Velocities are in the 830 ft/sec with excellent groups at 50 yards. This is my ICORE load with low smoke and no ash under the extractor.
    I have also used Clays very effectively.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Update - loaded some 38 Spl with a LSWC (161 gr) and 3.5gr of Bullseye. Those shot great but still seemed a little snappy when fired in a 2" model 12. [didn't have a chronograph available]

Dropped the charge to 3.3 gr of Bullseye and those were right on the money. Think I've found my practice load for the alloy framed revolvers.

Thanks to all that gave input.

I still have a lot of WW231 but I'm giving Bullseye a more serious look.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I have never found anything better in the .38 spl and .45ACP than Bullseye. It will cover the whole spectrum of cast bullets from powder puff to +P in both cartridges with excellent accuracy and uniform ballistics. I buy it in 4 and 8 lb. kegs.
    I use it in everything from 32 ACP to 44 magnum. Best all around pistol powder there is in my opinion.

My 3.5 hrs Red Dot/ LSWCHP load turned in great groups out of my Blackhawk .357 today.
    Now to try it in the S&W m15 next. The bullet is the swaged/graphite Hornady.

Boolit Master
    Gotta luv that Red Dot...

I do..
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Any of these three would work. Clays, although I save mine for 9mm so I haven't tried It yet, 3.3 gr of Red Dot is great and 3.4 of BE for a little more oomph.

Boolit Master

I really like Clay's in my 38 Specials. Light shooting, accurate and clean.

No surprise the S&W M15 loved the Red Dot. I had 5 loosely connecting and I got excited and threw a flyer. My new big four for .38 special:
    1. Bullseye
    2. Red Dot
    3.Unique
    4. FFFG- gotta raise hell sometimes!

Enjoy the revolver. The S&W 15 is a great gun and will serve you well.
    The powders you mention will do anything that needs doing with a 38 special.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I try to keep the number of variations I load for each cartridge to a minimum. I like to keep my logistics simple but I've decided to load one more variant of 38 Special. (Agggh !! it never remains simple )

Here's my dilemma, my current loads shoot great but are a bit on the warm side. Nothing outside of acceptable limits but some are at or near max for standard pressure 38 Spl. and some may be in +P territory. Most of the guns are Ruger GP variants, Service-Six's or +P rated S&W's; so no problem there. However, I have some alloy framed snubnose revolvers that I don't want to stress while just practicing.

I'm seeking a practice load using a 158-160grain LSWC that is accurate and easier on the gun. I'm not looking for powder puff loads, just something that's not maximum but shoots well.

My attempts with ww231 [HP-38] powder at the lower charge weights have not been satisfactory. The accuracy drops off with reduced charge weights and I get unburned powder. I've burnt a LOT of 231 in my life and it works great at the higher end of the scale but not so much with minimum charge weights.

I'd prefer to stay away from Unique because of the way it meters.
    Bullseye is an option.

Any thoughts?
    Out of curiosity, which powder measure is giving you trouble with Unique?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Out of curiosity, which powder measure is giving you trouble with Unique?
    The measure on my Dillon 550B. My Redding bench mounted measure does a little better

The Dillon measure will easily hold within 1/10 of a grain with most ball powders but Unique is a tough powder for any measure.

Thank you, sir.

FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with the Hornady LNL and Lee Perfect powder measures holding pretty close to dead on with Unique. This is with charges in the 4-6 grain range. Haven't ventured outside of those weights yet.

Banned
    I'm not condemning Unique but it's a tough powder to trust when thrown through a powder measure. I will use Unique with a bench mounted measure when I'm well under max weights. When I get close to max charges of Unique I'll set the measure slightly under the desired weight and use a powder tickler to bring the charge up to the exact weight for each cartridge. It might be overkill but I've never had an accidentally over charged case.

I like Unique in some applications but I don't like it in a progressive press.

Boolit Master

I use my Lee Perfect Powder Measure for Unique. It does very well. I use the Pacific for Bullseye.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

Dont know if you have ever used Hogdons HP38 or not but I use it on just about all my pistol loads , can be used for 99 % of all handgun cartridges , its good stuff and easy to meter.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast