Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, 1 more 38 Special load

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    Dont know if you have ever used Hogdons HP38 or not but I use it on just about all my pistol loads , can be used for 99 % of all handgun cartridges , its good stuff and easy to meter.
    Yea, I use it all of the time, it's called WW231

Boolit Master
    358429 3.5 gr red dot. about 850 fps. has worked great I every pistol I have used it in. from a colt police positive special. to all my ruger .357 mags.

that colt and load is in the pantry by the kitchen door right now. and it is in my hand when there is a knock on the door late at night.

Hmmm. No one said Titegroup. I like that powder, yes it is small charge so it is harder to spot a double or short charge, it is not always a best choice at near max loads but a little goes a long way but can do what it takes to have a solid load. Seems to work well in short barrel revolvers. It has to me a distinctly different recoil feel than Unique. One I like better. I'm loading on a turret not a progressive and that might be one reason I don't mind having to watch the powder so closely.

I did pick up some Red Dot to try, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

^^^^^ I use a lot of titeGroup in both 38spl and 357mag. When Bullseye became unavailable during the shortage I bought several pounds and it goes a long way when only using 3 to 6gr. Gp

Titegroup works fine for 38 special. It is often found priced lower than other pistol powders.
    I use a lot of it for every pistol cartridge I have(38 special, 9mm, 45ACP).
    The only drawback to Titegroup is my pistols get hot faster when using it.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Titegroup works fine for 38 special. It is often found priced lower than other pistol powders.
    I use a lot of it for every pistol cartridge I have(38 special, 9mm, 45ACP).
    Nawp...it ain't like that...Al Gore said it was the weather! Whew! Had me worried for a second there! Gotta a lotta Titegroup on the shelf!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I also use Titegroup in 38 Special. It was available when nothing else could be found and a little goes a long way. I don't notice on my revolvers them getting any hotter than with other powders,but I'm not slinging lead as fast as I can pull the bang switch either.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Someone is having either too much fun or a really bad time. Pretty sure when the gun gets hot that it's one of those two things causing it.

I could find it when couldn't find a lot of pistol powders and it just works well for my uses. I did buy 8# of unique as a general purpose fall back but comparing my plinking load of Unique against same in Titegroup I liked TG better. Dang it now I'm curious, will have to go out and shoot fast to see how fast the gun heats up! Tazman you just made more work for me
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Do a search on this site for :Titegroup burns hot" and look at some of the many responses you will get. I am not the only one who noticed this tendency.
    It hasn't been an issue for me yet, but after a magazine full, the barrel and ejected cases are much warmer than with other powders. It also works that way with revolvers. Usually takes 2 cylinders full to be noticeable.
    Do a test against 231 or Bullseye if you have any available. The difference in heat is distinct.
    Titegroup is a very accurate and reliable powder and functions well. If you aren't running a lot of ammunition in a hurry, it isn't a problem. It never got my guns hot enough to cause any malfunctions.

Boolit Master
    Love Titegroup, I have a ton of it and use it in both my .38 sp and .357 mag. But, I only use it with coated projectiles, not cast lead. Crazy thing is, as fast a powder as it is it even works great in my Henry. Plus, even though the charges are relatively small, it doesn't seem to be case sensitive at all. I have 14# on hand plus about 3000 loaded rounds so I'm good for a while.

I have heard titegroup will eat your powder hopper if left in in too long. Anyone else hear this?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I have heard titegroup will eat your powder hopper if left in in too long. Anyone else hear this?
    Any double-base powder with high nitroglycerine content will. NG is a plasticizer.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have used titegroup from 2 lots . The first did heat the brass & barrel more than B.E. or Unique, the other lot didn't. It produced lower velocities and was heaver for equal volume. I called Hodgen, they said I was mistaken.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Buddy

I wondered when Titegroup would get mentioned. I use it in 38 to 45LC. I like it, and it was around when other powders were not. Have not noticed heat factor yet, but will pay more attention.

Well now I have to try Titegroup if it is cheaper. I've never noticed it to be so. I'll look at my LGS tomorrow. Enablers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    8lb jugs of Red Dot were available a few years ago around here when nothing else was. So I switched from HP38/W231. Now I use 2.4gr Red Dot for powder puff wadcutter loads for my dear wife; 3.0 gr Red Dot for regular wadcutter loads; 3.6 gr Red Dot for standard 158ish grain loads; 4.2 gr to duplicate velocity of Remington FBI load; 13 grains for 30.06 fun load. Works great!
    Last edited by Low Budget Shooter; 08-12-2017 at 03:35 AM.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Banned
    Update, 3.3 grains of Bullseye is working well behind a 160gr SWC and a 155ish grain full wadcutter. Looks like I'll be able to lock it down at 3.3 grains for both of those bullets.

another vote for Bullseye. 148gr DEWC in front of 2.9gr. Works well in my S&W 686, Dan Wesson 715 and Ruger LCRx3. One size, at least in this case, does fit all. Good accuracy out to 25 yards and mild enough you can shoot them all day. Depending on the firearm I'm getting around 635 fps.

Let's say you had 231, Unique, and Titegroup on-hand. Would you still purchase Bullseye?

I ask because that's currently my situation. Somehow I ended up with 25+ pounds of Unique, and I'm planning on treating it like the Chevy LS motor and sticking it in everything.

That's basically what I did with Bullseye until some other powders came out.
    I have 231, Bullseye, CFE Pistol, WST, HS6, SR4756, and a couple of others I can use in 38 Special.
    I mostly use Bullseye for target and light loads, CFE Pistol for full power. Any of them will work though.
    Do you NEED Bullseye, No.
    I would get some anyway because Bullseye is never a bad choice for 38 Special.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast