MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, 1 more 38 Special load

Banned

OK, 1 more 38 Special load

I try to keep the number of variations I load for each cartridge to a minimum. I like to keep my logistics simple but I've decided to load one more variant of 38 Special. (Agggh !! it never remains simple )

Here's my dilemma, my current loads shoot great but are a bit on the warm side. Nothing outside of acceptable limits but some are at or near max for standard pressure 38 Spl. and some may be in +P territory. Most of the guns are Ruger GP variants, Service-Six's or +P rated S&W's; so no problem there. However, I have some alloy framed snubnose revolvers that I don't want to stress while just practicing.

I'm seeking a practice load using a 158-160grain LSWC that is accurate and easier on the gun. I'm not looking for powder puff loads, just something that's not maximum but shoots well.

My attempts with ww231 [HP-38] powder at the lower charge weights have not been satisfactory. The accuracy drops off with reduced charge weights and I get unburned powder. I've burnt a LOT of 231 in my life and it works great at the higher end of the scale but not so much with minimum charge weights.

I'd prefer to stay away from Unique because of the way it meters.
    Bullseye is an option.

Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Universal good replacement for Unique. Measures better and cleaner burning

Boolit Master

I have never found anything better in the .38 spl and .45ACP than Bullseye. It will cover the whole spectrum of cast bullets from powder puff to +P in both cartridges with excellent accuracy and uniform ballistics. I buy it in 4 and 8 lb. kegs.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I use a light load of bullseye with both 148gr wad cutters and the 158gr TL lee bullet. I like the classic 2.7 gr target load for my little J-frame S&W AirWeight. With those light loads, I can shoot it all day long.

Boolit Master

I am a Bullseye junkie.

For many years I loaded 2.7 for wad cutter. 3.0 for plinker and 3.5 for normal.

Eventually I noticed the wad cutters were tumbling at 50 yards. Some stricking completely sideways. Then I noticed slightly oval holes from the 3.0 loads.

I started testing at 50 yards and increased it one tenth until there were perfectly round holes at 50 yards with every Bullet I cast from, 124 to 160 grains.

The magic number was 3.2. Now that is the only powder charge I use in the 38 Special. Regardless of bullet.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Not much to look at...but...

Attachment 200724

3.0 g. Bullseye & Lyman 148 g. #358091, PC'd of course...they have a pretty good 'pop' and fun to shoot. An economical load too if you worry about that aspect...

Recently acquired a Green Machine, set it up to do just .38 Special wadcutters and am very happy with the ammo.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Bullseye works great for 38 special and has for a looooong time. When I look for a super clean shooting lighter load powder these days I reach for WST. It burns exceptionally clean in light load pistol and revolver loads.
    I use it for 38 Special and 45ACP when I want light up to just under full power loads.

Banned
    THANKS for the replies !

Looks like Bullseye will be the powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Since the .38 S&W Special's very earliest days, closing rapidly on 120 years now, 3.0 to 3.5 grains of Bullseye has been THE go-to load with 158 grain bullets. You just have to work out what your revolver likes best.

Boolit Master

I'm also a Bullseye fan for the 38 Special, either 148 grain WCs or 158 grain projectiles.

As I'm not loading 12 gauge shotgun at the moment (not cost effective given the low prices of factory shells right now) I've tried my 12 gauge powder, Hogdgon's Clays, with some success. Slightly less per charge with about the same results as Bullseye. It measures well and burns well at the lower end 38 Special pressures.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

May as well add my 2 cents; some where in the neighborhood of 3.3-3.5 of bullseye has been doing a good job for over a hundred years,bullseye and unique are my only powders in 38 special!

Boolit Master

Bullseye, as has already been said. I like it in the .38 above all others. It works well in .45, .380, .40 etc. etc.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    3.5 grains of Bullseye with 146-grain double-end wadcutter is standard pressure, but full-charge, effective and accurate load.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/...rge-wadcutter/

Also approximates factory ballistics for the 158-grain standard velocity lead ammo with a 150-160 grain lead flatnose or WC.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I am a Bullseye junkie... Eventually I noticed the wad cutters were tumbling at 50 yards. Some stricking completely sideways. Then I noticed slightly oval holes from the 3.0 loads. I started testing at 50 yards and increased it one tenth until there were perfectly round holes at 50 yards with every Bullet I cast from, 124 to 160 grains. The magic number was 3.2. Now that is the only powder charge I use in the 38 Special. Regardless of bullet.
    For a light alloy frame gun which you intend to shoot alot, this is great advice AND i AGREE!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Uniques 4.6 for 38spcl, 6.4 for .357 mag 158 grn

Boolit Bub
    I use 3.2 gr Bullseye for 148 gr. Wadcutters and 3.5-3.6 gr. for a Saeco 382 158 gr. semi-wadcutter. Used to use Unique for .38 , .45 etc. I will never go back to it Bullseye meters so much nicer. Also, I have pretty much no unburned powder with Bullseye.

Boolit Buddy
    I too, like Bullseye loads but a couple years back when powders were scarce, I started experimenting with subs for old standbys. What I found was that HS-6 is agood replacement for Unique in my 38s, 357s, 44 spl and 45 acp. I'm real fond of 6gr under a 158 Lee TL boolit in a 38 case for 930 fps out of my S&W model 15. Cover 5 shots with a quarter @ 50 ft.

I shoot allot of 38 Specials and am down to two handloads and one factory load.

1. 3.0/BE with any RN or SWC 150-160 cast bullet. This is my range and practice load.

2. 3.5/BE with a good solid base wadcutter for defense and field use.

I use a good factory +P JHP for urban social situations where over penetrations might hit a good person.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Thanks Outpost, I've read that Grant Cunningham article several times. I wasn't sure if the 3.5 grains of Bullseye would duplicate the 148 WC performance with a 160ish grain SWC but it sounds like it will.

Banned
    Thanks Char-Gar.
    Does that 3.0 gr BE load shoot to the sights of a fixed sighted snubnose when using 160 gr bullets?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast