Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for cast in a 7.5x55 Swiss K31 ?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll third the Lee 155
    Awesome in my K31

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    That scope mount is interesting. I've never considered a scope for the K31, but aging eyes might appreciate it.

Any photos? The review at Graf and Sons left me with some questions. Does it mount over the bore or is it off to the side?
    This one is not a Swiss Products, it's the cheaper one off ebay, Accumounts, fellow by the name of John Zhu who was at war with Swiss Products for awhile. They are are available in alloy or steel. I've gone with a low powered scope, shown is a Rudolph Noske 2.5x Hunter. Likely made during WWII. Noske was in CA. His scopes were tested by the army in the late 30s, but Noske was a German. If you ask me, it is a much better scope than either the Lyman Alaskan or the Norman Ford Texan. The objective lens can be adjusted, even for my right eye which sees nothing but a blur for the front sight. Scope weighs only 6.5oz. I've had a 6x24 Tasco on it for use in the CBA matches up at Washtenaw. That didn't go well, alloy was too soft for the 2000fps load. When I first put it on, I found I didn't have enough windage adjustment to get on target at 100yds. I found the problem, the mount was touching the bolt release lever, just enough to throw things off. I took a tiny amount off the edge of the mount and now it's a-ok. Being on the opposite side for a right handed shooter works pretty well. Cheek weld becomes a chin weld. I've even used it in a 88rd NRA Highpower Match with no difficulty. Generally, I'm the only person there shooting a bolt gun as about all now use their ARs. I win my class every time! It's not far off center at all Sharf, for awhile I thought something was on the lens of the scope. Turned out to be the image of the right front sight ear!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails noskek31 003.jpg  
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

K31

here is the clamp on mount I made up, no mod to the rifle and the Swenson or Redfield sights will fasten on ( or something similar ). also a Lyman 17 sight will wedge nicely between the ears of the front sight. ( just cut a notch in the bottom of the Lyman to clear the original sight blade.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 043.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	201967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 042.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	201968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 039.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	201969

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

The mount I had was similar. It clamped securely on the bolt guide on the right side of the rifle. Strange that it has 3/8" groove instead of Weaver base but I pegged in a ring stop just in case. It and the scope add a lot of weight but it does work well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I use the lee 160-312 sized .310 with great results

Boolit Buddy
    I write from Italy: First of all I apologize for my English! I speak very little this language, and use the translator computer. But this translator speaks English worse than me!
    I own a K31 of 1957 which is really brand new!

For the scope I used base of S & K, which is mounted in place of the rear sight: no modification is needed, and also allows for the adjustment of the rings!

As a scope I took a Burris 3-12 x 42 handgun scope.

I've mounted everything using a gun-vice made by me, level and kit from Weeler.

The weapon is equipped with a Brownell 100-002-993 Swiss Products Brake Clutch.

As dies I bought the Redding Competition
    As a mold I took the Lee 312-160-2R: it has a very aerodynamic shape and microbands groves for Alox. + Charles Darnall's Free check III

But in Italy there are not many powders available: I have available TECNA, X-800 Dupont and old Norm 203 (NOT NEW 203 !!!): but not the data for reload with cast bullets! (I have as I said Lee 160 gr g.c.)

Can somebody help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Iron Sights View Post
    I second the Lee 155 gr mold made for the sks. Works in a lot of my 30 calibers. My K11 is actually more accurate than my k31.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    This one? https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...d-c312-155-2r-

Boolit Buddy
    That's the one I use

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Yes, thats it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Well now, may have to buy me one of those then. Thanks guys! I have two K31's and several other .30's.

Boolit Master
    Airone46,the Lyman Cast Bullet manual, third edition, shows .30-06 loads using Herco and SR4756. The powder burn rate charts show IMR 800-x between those powders, so a starting load of 12.5 grains should work well. I would not go above 15.5-16, please understand I have never loaded this powder in 7.5 Swiss, I've only tried 800-x in the 30-06 up to 14 grains. Please tell us of your results with this powder.

Boolit Master
    Offset rings are available to bring the scope very close to the line of the bore...............
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    I write from Italy: First of all I apologize for my English! I speak very little this language, and use the translator computer. But this translator speaks English worse than me!
    I own a K31 of 1957 which is really brand new!

For the scope I used base of S & K, which is mounted in place of the rear sight: no modification is needed, and also allows for the adjustment of the rings!

As a scope I took a Burris 3-12 x 42 handgun scope.

I've mounted everything using a gun-vice made by me, level and kit from Weeler.

The weapon is equipped with a Brownell 100-002-993 Swiss Products Brake Clutch.

As dies I bought the Redding Competition
    As a mold I took the Lee 312-160-2R: it has a very aerodynamic shape and microbands groves for Alox. + Charles Darnall's Free check III

But in Italy there are not many powders available: I have available TECNA, X-800 Dupont and old Norm 203 (NOT NEW 203 !!!): but not the data for reload with cast bullets! (I have as I said Lee 160 gr g.c.)

Can somebody help me?
    That's a tough one as I've never shot any Norma 203, but being of 4064 approx speed you could use 4064 cast data for 308 and work up your loads. I would start at 25 grs and see what it shoots like, WAG 1750 fps, you may want to use a dacron filler, if not familier with using it there are instructions in the stickies. Nobel TECNA is another powder not commonly encountered here in the US, from what I can find it looks to be a single base flake powder of approx SR4756 speed?? might be useful to you as could 800x also. I think some careful experimentation is in your future. I know, I know that should be wine not beer.
    Last edited by swheeler; 11-09-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

I like that China Closet, nice rifle too. Good scope choice, does it give you enough eye relief? Reason I ask is I have Nikon 2.5x8, and it is a pistol scope, but the eye relief little less then 9 inches on 8 power. I hate the scope for that reason, otherwise it's pretty decent.

If you have the RCBS 30-165 Sil. mould try 16.0 to 16.5 grs. of 2400. This shoots good enough on the 600 yard reduced MR31 target to score 97 plus. This in Military matches so its sort of on demand not just a good score or group out of many shot.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master

Yes, I also found the Lee 312-155 bullet to work well in my k31. I size mine .311" only because that is the sizer I have, .310" may be better.

Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12