Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for cast in a 7.5x55 Swiss K31 ?

Banned

Advice for cast in a 7.5x55 Swiss K31 ?

Found a great one that's only been shot with military ammo. After research, bought the correct Hornady dies for the K31. The military bullets mike .3082-5 so is it safe to believe "30" caliber cast will work ? Have a Lee GC mold, pointed for the Mosin 154 gr. (?) (yard sale) and a 190 NEI GC long round nose bought for the Krag by a pal.

Better choices ? Load data ? Thanks.

p.s. Best way to scope it is ?

Boolit Master

K31

The K31 has a very short or non-existent lead or throat.

For plinking loads I use a 115 grain 32/20 bullet, but for heavier loads, NOE makes a specific K31 design.

Here's a link for the 311 K-31 bullet mould: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/advance...jb2qg2&x=4&y=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swiss K31 01-800.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Brownells used to sell a right side mount that worked but the irons are excellent on the K31. Maybe the best groups I've ever shot at 100 yds with open sights were with K31s and GP11 surplus ammo. Amen about that short throat. Hornady Spire points worked well for me. The only cast I tried had to be seated too deep for my liking. Wonderful guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried the K31 specific boolit from NOE but I need to nose size or gas check is below the neck on cartridge which I don't like. I have been fiddling around with Lyman 311466 at 155 grains and have a dummy cartridge made up that the gas check is right at the bottom of the neck. I will try to work up some loads when it cools down a bit and post them here if they shoot worth a darn. My first foray into a Loverin style boolit but I really like the design. By the way the NOE K31 shoots really good with 12 grains of Red Dot, 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds sand bagged just don't like the gas check below neck. Don't know of a good way to scope the K31 with a conventional scope as ejecting brass will hit your scope and cause damage after awhile. I believe my scout mount is S&K and replaces your rear sight. No permanent alteration to your gun and rock solid.LER scopes tend to be a little pricey as I have tried 2 cheapo scopes from Simmons and BSA and neither lasted more than 20 rounds before having some kind of problem with GP11 ammo. Neck sizing is the way to go with 7.5X55 and cast boolits but full length sizing will work too. Slug your bore and size your boolits 2 thousands over bore diameter and get a Lyman M die or a NOE equivalent to size your necks 2 thousands under boolit diameter Make sure you clean copper fouling out of your bore before you start with cast. Sometimes this can cause erratic groups. Bores on K31s tend to be very clean but copper fouling is still there. Foaming bore cleaners work very well for this. Follow instructions from can and let it set until you can see through bore and then run a brush through it then a patch until you get no green color on patch. Make sure you oil bore after cleaning. Most K31s are very accurate even with iron sights which are very good.Try shooting with your issue sights for awhile before mounting a scope as you may not need one unless you are as old as me and eyesight is diminishing LOL

Here's your scope mount: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/17797

Clamps to the receiver, no damage and no holes to drill. Solid.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    Here's your scope mount: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/17797

Clamps to the receiver, no damage and no holes to drill. Solid.
    Yup. Got that one. Very solid.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot both the lyman 311413 and 311299, pc. either works great in the k31. in fact, I've yet to find a load it doesn't like.

Banned
    Eldon,

Imo, once you find a suitable CB load I suspect that you will shoot your Swiss rifle a LOT. = I've never seen a K31 that didn't shoot well.

yours, tex

Boolit Master

That scope mount is interesting. I've never considered a scope for the K31, but aging eyes might appreciate it.

Any photos? The review at Graf and Sons left me with some questions. Does it mount over the bore or is it off to the side?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Eldon, I once owned 2 of those rifles, but didn't add a scope or scope mount. Through a good bit of experimentation, I found that both would shoot most CB designs as long as they were sized to .309". Among my favorites were the 113gr. "soup can," Lee C-309-180-R, Saeco #315, Lyman #311291, Lyman #311466. None of these was pushed beyond whatever velocity 22gr. 5744 generated or the 21gr. WC 820/AA #9. Search this site for lots of info on K31 loads.

Any photos? The review at Graf and Sons left me with some questions. Does it mount over the bore or is it off to the side?
    I don't have any pics of mine mounted, but if you google 'swiss products scope mount', there are lots of pics. The scope mounts offset to the right side of the rifle, so that you can still load it with strippers.
    It's not that bad, just have to cant your head over a bit...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    I don't have any pics of mine mounted, but if you google 'swiss products scope mount', there are lots of pics. The scope mounts offset to the right side of the rifle, so that you can still load it with strippers.
    It's not that bad, just have to cant your head over a bit...
    Thanks for the fast response. I was afraid of that. I have difficulty with my M1D's offset scope on the left side, so one on the right side is probably not in the cards for me.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    The NOE 315 may work well too...I have a simular issue with my m1917 Eddystone...30 bore ..313 grooves...shoots under an inch at 100 yds with that bullit.

Banned
    Thanks ! Came across a Swiss rifles website. They are going nuts with these in Europe. Fantastic stocks, rebarreled to exotic chamberings, $400 scope mounts and so on. Makes me understand how lucky we are to have all the choices we do !

The rebarreling is interesting. Because of the cuts in the barrel, they cut off the existing bbl and use it as a stub to thread the new one into. Guess it's not like popping one into a K98.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpwoQKcXAM.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	200826
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Thanks for the fast response. I was afraid of that. I have difficulty with my M1D's offset scope on the left side, so one on the right side is probably not in the cards for me.
    I use the Lee 155gn spire point bullet, as it suits the short throat of the K31.

The Swiss products scope mount is a great piece of kit, I can remove mine and it virtually zeros every time I re-fit it to the rifle.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post

Name:	phpwoQKcXAM.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	200826

I use the Lee 155gn spire point bullet, as it suits the short throat of the K31.

The Swiss products scope mount is a great piece of kit, I can remove mine and it virtually zeros every time I re-fit it to the rifle.

ukrifleman
    Thanks for the photo. As always, it's worth a thousand words. Well, that mount just might be in the cards for me as it doesn't look that far off center line.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Look at Accurate Mold http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-185S-D.png Made for K31 and if sized and paper patched, works well in several other Cal. 30 rifles.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Name:	SDC19955.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	201031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC19956.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	201032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC19951.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	201033

Some additional shots of the K31 Swiss Products mount with my new Hawke 5-15x50 scope.

ukrifleman

I second the Lee 155 gr mold made for the sks. Works in a lot of my 30 calibers. My K11 is actually more accurate than my k31.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast