MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

New Marlins from Ruger

So as I walked into the Ruger Booth at SHOT about 10 AM on Tuesday Morning I was greeted by Eric Lundgren who is the head guy on the Marlin Project. Eric recognized my name off my badge and started vigorously shaking my hand, then drug me over to meet Nate Brown.

I am buddies with Mark Gurney who is the Head of Marketing for Ruger, and I met him when he was #2 man on the Scout Rifle Project in 2010 and we've been friends ever since. When I contacted him about the Marlin project he sent my name and phone # to Eric So they could get my input...

Eric called me one day and we talked for 45 minutes on the phone about what needed to be done to improve the Marlin Leverguns. Turns out all he did was write down everything I said to him and pass it along to Nate Brown who is Head of Engineering for the Marlin Project. Nate then went over everything along with all the other input they got from various people they considered to be knowledgeable on the subject.

Some of the ideas that came only from me were the Chamber Chamfer, the Radius on the Hammer Face, Cleaning up the Groove on the Bolt that the Extractor rides in, and Tumble Deburring of all small internal parts.

Other changes were 1:20 twist in the .44 and .45 barrels, Radius on the Snail Cam to prevent wearing of the bottom of the Lifter causing the "Marlin Jam." Redesign of the Loading Gate so it wouldn't dig into your thumbnail, changing the way most of the parts were machined, and making of all the internal parts out of Pre Hardened materials for dimensional stability. also the Internal Machining of the Receiver was a far cry from the Crap Marlin and Remington produced. I was amazed that the underside of the receiver top was smooth,,, making the insertion of a cartridge into the chamber smooth as glass. No rough Broach Marks because they weren't done with a worn out broach! They were all done on a Multi Axis CNC Machining Centers. Pretty much all of the Machines, Tooling and Programs to run them are all new!

I talked to Nate for the better part of an hour about all the fine points in the Production Process and he was very forth coming with answers to all of my pretty technical questions. I left Swelled up like a toad!

I picked up several 1894's and 1895's and they all ran smoothly. Only slightly stiffer than my personal guns which had been reworked by me years ago and had also had many rounds thru them. These new guns will run similar to mine with very little "break in." The fit and finish on the metal and wood was as close to perfect as you could ever expect from a Generic Firearm**. And the whole Idea was to remove as much of the hand work (Preferably all of it!) as possible, so the guns could be assembled with parts from a bin with no hand fitting required. This should have taken place 25 years ago, but nobody cared enough to push it thru at the previous Mfg's.

I have no reservation in saying "These are the Best Made Marlin Rifles ever produced by anyone !!! PERIOD!"

The 1894's are just going into production as we speak and look for them on the shelves in the Spring.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-21-2023 at 09:45 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

That's good news indeed!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks so much! I'm glad to see Ruger is going to do it right. And hopefully my meager budget will allow me to buy one at some point. Ruger please bring back the 1895CBA!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing. Good things happen when Engineers have the humility to listen to people with experience. I’m a Ruger fan, so this is double good for me.

There is one other major point included in this process. The people making these guns actually care about what they are doing!!!

They are actually trying to make perfect guns, which is not possible. But it still must be Pursued Relentlessly! You can never achieve perfection, but you can get damn close if you try hard enough !

They are trying really hard, and unlike previous Mfg's, Everyone wants to be there ! NO Union problems !!!

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I believe I shot moonpie's. It was great!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    My palms are itching to coon finger one of the 1894.

I wonder if they will ever be available at the MSRP, they seem to be made of unobtainium, except on Gun Broker at inflated prices.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to get me one if for no other reason than to compare it with my older Marlins.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The 1894's are just going into production as we speak and look for them on the shelves in the Spring.
    Great news! I'm actually waiting eagerly for the 336's, but I'm glad to see them moving down the list.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would rather they do it right and we have to wait awhile and pay higher prices than release hurriedly slapped together junk like Remlin or the last years of New Haven Winchester.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks for your work to have a better rifle made. I like Rugers ,I wonder if you can try to talk them into make a 327mag in a lever . For how they will make the rifles it would be a nice one that I would like to get if they were to come out with one. No I do have a Henry in it , Just had a friend of my make one out of the Handi Rifle from H&R . I can shoot anything that I can in my BH .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    Good to hear!!!
    Don Verna

Guess I gotta start saving some pennies again.........

I'm drooling.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

I'm curious if there will one day be a 336 available in either, or even both, 35 Remington and 360 Buck hammer.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

I'm not interested until they get rid of that stoopid safety. I'll just keep shooting my antique Marlins.

Great to hear that Ruger is listening to those with experience!
    Keep it up please.
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Yes all the 1894's I saw at SHOT were .357's and in Carbine configuration.. What you are going to see first is .357's .44's and .45's.

I personally want a 1894 CB Short Rifle (20" Octagon) in .44 Spec/Mag.

Eventually all of the blanks will get filled in. I expect 336's in .30-30, and .35 Remington. Obviously the 1895's will be mostly .45-70 and I personally don't see any reason for any other caliber in that one. But .444 Marlin could be a possibility. But they do need a Rifle version with a 24 or 26" bbl. right now they have the 18" Guide Gun and 16" Trapper. I don't care for the Big Loop Lever but it is still quite popular.

1894's should get a Carbine with 16 or 18 or 20" bbl and Barrel Band, Short Rifles with 18 or 20" Octagon Barrels and 24" Octagon Rifles.

Anyway lots to look forward to.

Randy

Randy,
    GMTA! (great minds think alike), I've got an Marlin1894CB in 44 with a 24" octagon, but would love a 20" as well. Take down would be the icing on the cake for me! Any opinions on the Chiappa 1892s in a take down? The only version is an "Alaskan" which is satin chrome I believe. They do a 20" octagon gun in 44Mag.
    Cheers!
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

I already have an older "JM" in 45 long colt. Here is hoping Ruger eventually make 24" octagonal models in 44/40 and 38/40!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast