WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Q: newer vs older Shiloh 74?

Boolit Bub

Quick Q: newer vs older Shiloh 74?

Real quick question, if one were trying to decide between a slightly older Shiloh (B2xxx) in gently used but near-new condition, and a newer 4xxxB '74 in pretty-much-NIB condition, which would you pick? both are similarly equipped, so a very good apples-to-apples comparison. Modest price difference for the older one but not dramatically so.

I guess the question is there any reason to favor the newer rifle in terms of more modern build quality versus the older one from 15-ish (?) years ago?

thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
    RP

Shiloh has a reputation for first rate quality from day one until now. Also, 15 years is not very long ago. I recommend picking the one you like better. If it was me, age would play no part in my decision.

Boolit Grand Master

Unlike the originals to now diffrences in steels, hardening, and manufacturing. The 15 or so years your talking isn't that much difference. I doubt that steel alloys or hardening has changed very much and in reality both may have been made on the same fixtures LOL.

Boolit Bub
    generally speaking, have rates of twist gotten faster in that time? these are both 40-65, I've read older ones were 16" twist but more recently people have ordered them with faster rates of twist, wondering if that might be a factor?

Regardless of maker, I'd normally buy a brand new clone vs. used, IF the price break for the used is small. If the older Shiloh is a lot cheaper, then the decision to buy it would be easy. I'm always happier just stepping up a bit more and being the first owner. But I also love saving gun money, so if the difference is large, or the older gun has some nice sights, that's the only thing that would make me buy the older Shiloh.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Regardless of maker, I'd normally buy a brand new clone vs. used, IF the price break for the used is small. If the older Shiloh is a lot cheaper, then the decision to buy it would be easy. I'm always happier just stepping up a bit more and being the first owner. But I also love saving gun money, so if the difference is large, or the older gun has some nice sights, that's the only thing that would make me buy the older Shiloh.
    yep, ordinarily that's kind of my thinking too. The sights are close, the older gun does have a spirit level and windage adjustment on the front globe. The newer rifle has the pewter forend tip, the older a plain wood schnabel forend. Approx. $500 difference in asking price between the two.

I Have one of each vintage--------------there is no difference other than the add on's !!!!!!!!

mine are 45-70's 1 x 18 twist in both cases

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

The other thing to remember is the used one goes home with you when you buy it or is there realitivly quickly. Ordering a new Shiloh can be a longer wait and more fiddling around with the order payment final payment and then the shipping to a dealer. Some makers are 8-10 weeks not sure what Shiloh is running now.

Pick the one with the nicest wood. Windage adjustable front sight....Danger Will Robinson!!! That says the rear sight is deficient on deflection adjustment and adjusting a front sight is going to be a real pain in the butt. If the gun is .40-85, be sure it has the faster 1:12 or 1:14 twist to handle heavy bullets. If .45, it is already set to go with 1:18 and you will be good to go with 550 spire point bullets. You probably don't need to worry about buying a used Shiloh as the owners tend to be very fussy and tender with them. You don't beat or neglect a $2000+ gun.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Windage adjustable front sight.... That says the rear sight is deficient on deflection adjustment and adjusting a front sight is going to be a real pain in the butt.
    Windage adjustment at the front sight is very useful, in that it allows for the rear sight to be zeroed at the center of its adjustment range. I routinely set the rear sight on a new gun at mechanical center and at or near the bottom of its adjustment range. Then I sight in the gun by drifting and filing the front sight. Afterwards the gun can be resighted for any range or wind condition, and returned to mechanical zero quickly and easily.

Boolit Master
    I have an older Shiloh ( not a Farmingdale built rifle with freebore ) and it is excellently accurate. The only difference with the newer ones is that quite recently the barrels have a little bit of choke to them which is nice. For silhouette or midrange BPTR matches, a 1:16 twist .40-65 Shiloh will work extremely well. Most newly manufactured Shiloh .40-65 rifles are still 1:16 twist.

Personally I'd choose the newer one.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Oh, what rear sights are on the rifles? Ideally you'll want a midrange Soule. I wouldn't worry about a windgage front. I've never even come close to maxing out windage at 600 yards on my .40-65. Long range is a different story, but I wouldn't shoot a .40-65 for long range anyway. There is one slight detriment to the windgage front sight and that is that they are taller so your rear sight settings will be higher for any given distance, which will make your cheek weld slightly less good.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    This is all really helpful. Studied the pics a bit more closely, the older rifle with the windage front globe has a mid-range Soule, the newer rifle with just a front globe has a long-range. Go figure. These are both .40-65, and here in the east the longest ranges are ~600 yards, so mid-range would be fine. Good to know about the 16" twist.

Boolit Master
    Yeah a midrange Soule has plenty of elevation for 600. I'd have to look at my notes, but my rear elevation is a bit less than 0.90 for 600 yards. That's with an MVA low profile front sight. I have shot my .45-70 Shiloh to 880 yards with a midrange Soule on a 34" barrel. It'd reach 900 but I don't think it'd make 1000.

Vendor Sponsor

given your above newfound specs and if the older one is $500.00 cheaper I say go older and go home happy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Parker View Post
    Real quick question, if one were trying to decide between a slightly older Shiloh (B2xxx) in gently used but near-new condition, and a newer 4xxxB '74 in pretty-much-NIB condition, which would you pick? both are similarly equipped, so a very good apples-to-apples comparison. Modest price difference for the older one but not dramatically so.

I guess the question is there any reason to favor the newer rifle in terms of more modern build quality versus the older one from 15-ish (?) years ago?

thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
    RP
    While there isn't a ton of difference in them, I would opt for the B suffix gun. Kirk has this barrel making thing down pat, and in the last few years, I don't think there's a better bpcr barrel out there.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    Well as luck would have it, another rifle intervened which will likely put the Shiloh purchase off for at least a little while. A Browning BPCR highwall in 40-65 popped up yesterday for a real good price, didn't feel like I could pass on it. Been looking for one for almost a year. Hopefully it's as nice as the seller says it is. So . . . Don, I really waffled on the Shiloh decision based on the barrel vintage, I kind of agree the B suffix guns might have ever-so-slight an edge. But probably slight.

At any rate at this point I'm trying to figure out if maybe I've got enough cash in the kitty to still do the older Shiloh (fwiw the seller does do layaway.) Anyone ever in the position of trying to figure out two new rifles at the same time? although that would probably be biting off a bit more than I can chew. Hopefully someone here can talk me out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Forget the Browning and get the newer Shiloh. You'll thank me later.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You're not in the right company to be talked out of buying 2 rifles.... I would actually suggest buying all 3 and covering all the bases.. for now..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Don I see you and I do things the same way .

I agree with you on the Shiloh barrels, I don't think anyone is building anything superior to them. I'm slowly switching over to being nearly 100% Shiloh for my competition rifles.

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast