RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for a Marlin 1895 in 45-70

Boolit Master
    Mine arrived today, standard 1895 Rifle. Must say, I am quite pleased with it. If Rem actually gives me the $100 rebate, that will put me at $368 shipped and transferred. Can't complain about that.

Didn't come with the offset hammer (which I'm gonna call about, just becasue) but other than that I can't find any flaws. Thought I did, but the bright spots on the safety were the words SAFE. All screw heads and seats are great, blueing is good, and the stock even has some grain to it. Not sure I like the "dry" look of the stock and may put a couple of coast of oil on it later but for now it is fine. Working hard at getting the grease out of the barrel. Production date is Jan 2014 so it has been sitting for about 3 1/2 years.

I was really worried after reading all the poor reviews of the Remlins, but I guess I lucked out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1895.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	201057

Remlin shipped our 45-70 back and said they found nothing wrong with the rifle so it went back to the dealer where the gun was bought and they were shown the gouges and missing chunks of rifling with an endoscope. They will refund the money and deal with Remington on this matter. Along with the returned but unfixed rifle was a five shot target that supposedly was fired by them to prove the rifle was ok. I guess it is if all you expect from a new rifle is that bullets will exit the bore. Pretty sad what Remington has done to the Marlin brand. I'm done buying anything from Remington it seems they just keep recycling there ****-ups until some poor soul gets stuck with a new but junk rifle. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    My new 1895 arrived last week.
    Fit and finish look perfect.
    The action was just a bit stiff, but I attribute this to being new and uncleaned.

After a rudimentary cleaning/oiling and a small amount of working the lever, things have smoothed out nicely.
    Haven't had the chance to take it to the range for accuracy yet.

I did fire just a handful of rounds before I decided I need to change the recoil pad.

All in all, after taxes and shipping, I gave $483 out the door.
    If Remlin honors the rebate my 1895 will end up costing me less than I gave for my 1894 (.44mag) more than a decade ago!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12