Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Marlin 1895 in 45-70

Boolit Master

Time for a Marlin 1895 in 45-70

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I love mine! I shoot an Accurate 460-405V plain base boolit sized to .460" lubed with 2500+ and loaded over 42gr of IMR3031 With killer accuracy!
    Attachment 200668Attachment 200669Attachment 200670Attachment 200671
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Anyone have any experience ordering from those guys??

It's Fri PM, doubt you could get it done by the 7/30 rebate deadline. But tempting...

The Sportsman's Den in Shelby OH had them for $400 after rebate. Im a big Henry fan but It was tempting.

Kids bought me a Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70 for fathers day. Sadly it was a *** and had to be sent back for repairs. The barrel was so badly cut that there were chunks missing from the rifling and not just little ones but 1/8th inch ones out of the lands as deep as the rifling. I'm just a little POed at Remington at the moment. This rifle was built in 2012 and I have to wonder how many times it's been recycled to dealers hoping someone won't know any better or just buys it and sticks it in the safe. Dealer said 3 to 4 weeks turn around and it arrived back at Remington over four weeks now. Spend your money and take your chance if you like. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure of the vendor, however, I love each of my 1895 models. I have 4 and they all shoot mighty fine with the same boolit Waco illustrated. Mine are the GC variety however.

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Kids bought me a Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70 for fathers day. Sadly it was a *** and had to be sent back for repairs. The barrel was so badly cut that there were chunks missing from the rifling and not just little ones but 1/8th inch ones out of the lands as deep as the rifling. I'm just a little POed at Remington at the moment. This rifle was built in 2012 and I have to wonder how many times it's been recycled to dealers hoping someone won't know any better or just buys it and sticks it in the safe. Dealer said 3 to 4 weeks turn around and it arrived back at Remington over four weeks now. Spend your money and take your chance if you like. Gp
    I'm thinking they might have some of those problems ironed out since 2012. It is a shame what Remington did to Marlins reputation. Good luck to you and keep us informed how it turns out.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-28-2017 at 09:26 PM.

If it matters. Mine is a JM barrel I bought in 2005.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post

It's Fri PM, doubt you could get it done by the 7/30 rebate deadline. But tempting...

Direct quote from Marlin's site, hence the cap's.

Rifle Rebates

CASH BACK BY MAIL WITH THE PURCHASE OF ANY 336W, 1895 OR 1894 RIFLE. MAY 15, - JULY 30, 2017 (ALL REQUESTS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY 8/30/17)

So, not sure when the postmark is supposed to be.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post

Rifle Rebates

CASH BACK BY MAIL WITH THE PURCHASE OF ANY 336W, 1895 OR 1894 RIFLE. MAY 15, - JULY 30, 2017 (ALL REQUESTS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY 8/30/17) https://www.marlinfirearms.com/resou...tes-promotions

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coloraydo View Post

Rifle Rebates

CASH BACK BY MAIL WITH THE PURCHASE OF ANY 336W, 1895 OR 1894 RIFLE. MAY 15, - JULY 30, 2017 (ALL REQUESTS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY 8/30/17) https://www.marlinfirearms.com/resou...tes-promotions

I saw the postmark date. Having submitted a rebate or two in the past, I know that the receipt/bill of sale MUST be dated before the end of the rebate period. In this case, that is tomorrow. I doubt if you could buy the rifle on-line and have the receipt come to you dated by 7/30/17. The 8/30/17 date just gives you a month to get things in the mail.

Boolit Buddy
    Gunprodeals are pushing the Marlin rifles right now, and they have a count down clock running to show time left to take advantage of the rebates.
    They are still showing 1 day plus left.
    I took a chance and ordered one of the 22" barreled models. It came out to $438 +$14.95 shipping, and I get free transfers, so mine will come in around $360 after rebate.

I placed my order about 4pm est Friday.
    Gunprodeals website shows they are open Saturdays until 7pm so I'm hoping they'll process my order before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    Gunprodeals are pushing the Marlin rifles right now, and they have a count down clock running to show time left to take advantage of the rebates.
    They are still showing 1 day plus left.
    I took a chance and ordered one of the 22" barreled models. It came out to $438 +$14.95 shipping, and I get free transfers, so mine will come in around $360 after rebate.

I placed my order about 4pm est Friday.
    Gunprodeals website shows they are open Saturdays until 7pm so I'm hoping they'll process my order before the deadline.
    That is a great deal. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I have seen several NEW Marlins and all of them have been really nice. If I was ordering a new gun from anyone who had to get it from a distributor I would certainly specify a no earlier than a 2016 date for manufacture.

I'm sure some of the big distributors have guns in stock from way back.

The ones made during the transition were iffy sometimes. All the new stuff I've seen lately, (looked at a new 336 today) and everything about the guns were nice.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    OK, you guys talked me into it. Supposedly my receipt will be dated today. If Rem actually sends me the rebate I will end up with an 1895 Rifle for $368 shipped and transferred. I should probably get another one!!

Boolit Bub
    Man I should got one but too late now I thought I wouldn't have the receipt

Boolit Grand Master

Well, whichever you pick, you can't go wrong. Even the current Remlins are decent. My favorite is my JM 1895GS.

The 1895 Cowboy is my favorite .45-70 of the few I've fired over the years. I had an original 1895 reissue in the 80's that I converted to trapper style by cutting the barrel to 17" and dovetailing the front sight back in. A cowboy in the Rockies wanted it bad so I sold it to him.
    I hope It's served it's owners well.
    I like the way that long octagon barrel on the cb hangs on target.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 1895 Cowboy is my favorite .45-70 of the few I've fired over the years. I had an original 1895 reissue in the 80's that I converted to trapper style by cutting the barrel to 17" and dovetailing the front sight back in. A cowboy in the Rockies wanted it bad so I sold it to him.
    I hope It's served it's owners well.
    I like the way that long octagon barrel on the cb hangs on target.
    Best, Thomas.

Take a look at the 1895 CBA if you're wanting to replace the shorter octagonal barreled CB.

The one I like is the 26" octagon. A buddy had one and we loaded some 340 Lees
    over Unique and we were hitting clays at 100 yrs after the drop was figured. I asked for dibs if he ever sold it- he raffles it. I hate that guy.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast