Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: current Lyman 429421 DC Mold offering

Boolit Buddy

current Lyman 429421 DC Mold offering

Looking to replace a 429421 mold that I sold several years ago and was wondering if Lyman's current version they have now is still true to form ie; squared lube groove and equal thickness on driving bands? If not, does anyone have experience with the NOE H&G 503 clone mold? Only wanting solid bullet, no hollow points. Thanks.

Over the past few years I've heard both good and bad about Lyman molds, mostly about them being undersized. I've been casting for over 30 years now and when I first started, Lyman (and a couple of LEE) molds were all I used.

I own 5 or 6 NOE molds and have yet to be less than happy with them. Given a choice between the two, I would purchase the NOE mold without hesitation.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the RCBS mold is currently consistent with the original.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

I know Tom at Accurate will cut one however you want and get it to you in 2 weeks.

Boolit Master

The current Lyman doesn't have square lube grooves.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE's mould is marked Keith and does have the square bottomed lube grooves. A recreation of the original Lyman 429421 w/ flat bottom grooves.
    I purchased an NOE Keith signature series mould recently for my 41 magnum and it does have the original flat bottom lube grooves also . Mine is a 3 cavity and I like it a lot ! Check out their store.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Gentlemen, looks like NOE or Accurate is my answer. Will check with both and go from there. I love Miha's molds but just looking for a solid for a "one bullet does all" to keep cost down.

Boolit Buddy
    UPDATE: While I was looking over my options on NOE and Accurate molds, I took one more glance at Miha's offerings and he had the H&G 503 clone in a DC for 83 bucks and some change. Comes with the pins so if I had to use HPs I will be able to. Again, thanks everyone for your input. Nice to have a place to go and get some credible advice.

Boolit Master
    Can't go wrong with MiHec eigher. His molds are really nice indeed.

The NOE 432-277 (Keith )is a bit heavier than the 429421. Incidentally I just gave the NOE Keith boolit another go today, and so far have not been able to turn out acceptable accuracy from just about any combo, mild to wild. This is out of a S&W 629 and a Ruger Super Blackhawk w/ 4x optics. In the SWC zone, Mihec's #503 clone has run rings around the "Keith" boolit for me (irony?). It's a shame, because that 4 cavity Keith molds is almost hard to get a bad boolit out of, casts wonderfully. You could also look at a 429421 copy from Arsenal Molds if that is the specific profile your heart is set on.

I think Mihec still has a few #503s in stock, and they're 25% off right now. They're HP, but you could always just use the FP pins.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the relating your experience. I only noticed the other day that Miha had a sale on his molds and opted for his only because I had past experience with it. It was a 220 gr solid with the assorted pins. Cast a beautiful 205gr (approx)(depending on your alloy) that shot like a laser. I am quite sure all of the other molds are excellent molds, I just went on past experience. A friend has a "heavy" Keith bullet mold, but since I am only loading for a 44Spec, wanted something more true to weight. My old Lyman 429421 ran out after sizing and lubing around 252 - 255grs and shot excellent w/o leading at most any velocity I loaded for (I do not load the Keith load. 15.5grs 2400 is my top load and it is more than enough). I want to Thank each of y'all for your help. I truly love this forum and the way you guys help each other out with problems. Keep up the good work.

Boolit Buddy
    KVO, just recognized that you are from Round Rock. Been thru there a few times back in the late 60s. I finished up my Air Force tour of duty at Bergstrom AFB, Austin, TX. Wife and I loved it out there. We had relatives living in San Marcos and Brady. It was a welcome breath of fresh air after 2 yrs stationed in Hawaii. Done tech school at Amarillo AFB, another nice place. Be proud of your state, it is beautiful.

Smokeater, I foolishly left TX in my not too distant youth, but made back as fast as I could. Moved to Round Rock about six years ago for many reasons. It helped the decision having a rifle range reaching out to 1,000yd about an hour's drive away. Hope you enjoy that new Mihec mold!

Why take a chance on something? Order it once. Right the first time, every time. Accurate Molds.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-240K-D.png
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-250K-D.png
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

I've used several Lyman 429421 moulds since '68 and they all cast 250 - 255 gr bullets with COWW and COWW + 2% tin. My RCBS 44-250-K drops them at 250 with the same alloy. I read an awful lot of Keith's writing over the years.......he always mentioned 240 - 255 gr SWCs......

Which brings me to my question; since when did a "Keith" 44 bullet start weighing 277 - 280 gr?

It's no wonder many think Alliant changed 2400 and it's "hotter", especially if they load Keith's classic load of 22 gr under the above mentioned "Keith" bullet..........That definitely would be a little warm........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Lyman cast bullet handbook fourth edition shows the Lyman 429421 as a 245gr. cast bullet.
    Loads with 2400 are.
    18.5gr to start, and 20.6 as MAX.
    If people think 22.0gr seem warm it's because they are.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master

Waco

Look at the next page; 255 gr cast, max load 22.6 gr 2400 at 35,300 CUP.

SAAMI MAP (Maximum Average Pressure), the industry maximum allowable pressure, for the 44 Magnum using CUP measurement is 41,000 CUP. None of the Lyman listed loads measure up to that. Thus all Lyman's listed loads there are below the industry standard SAAMI MAP.

I measure the psi of the 44 Magnum and other cartridges. 22 gr of Alliant and Hercules 2400 is right at the SAAMI MAP with a 250 - 255 gr 429421 or 44-250-K. That is safe and within SAAMI specifications.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry

I didn't notice that. I just went right to the load data for the 429421.
    My correction.
    Walter

Boolit Grand Master

waco

No problem. My real question though is when did so called "real" Keith bullets get so heavy?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast