RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 120gr RN .30 Carbine gb mould results in Blackhawk

120gr RN .30 Carbine gb mould results in Blackhawk

After casting a thousand or so of these boolits, I finally had a chance to try them out...

I was kind of suspicious since loading to an OAL similar to factory am mo, there was a ridge in the case where the boolit expanded the taper, even after a run through my Lee FCD. It didn't hinder chambering in either my Blackhawk or the AMT Automag III so I loaded up 50 for testing.. Next will be accuracy testing at 25 yds in a couple weeks.

This boolit on 6.8gr Blue Dot is a great, fun load for the Blackhawk! I'm thoroughly happy I had the chance to try it, and the 2 liter plastic bottle that was jumping around the range seemed to be having fun as well!

If there's enough interest in another run of the mould, I'm definitely in for it!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Bub
    Have you tried 32-20 brass in your 30 Carbine Blackhawk ? I just sent a reply to a different post from 2006 asking some questions on this subject.

Crooked Creek:
    32-20? ...... More info on 30 car. please
    Captain
    "Like cool water to a thirsty soul is good news from a distant land." Prov. 25:25

Boolit Bub
    Sorry for the delay Captain, I haven't been here in a while. A number of people have used 32-20 (rimmed) brass in 30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawks for lower pressure cast bullet loads, in the 900-1100 FPS range. Sometimes the rims have to be thinned a little to function without locking up the cylinder. I was having trouble with lead building up behind the headspace ring at the end of the chambers and thus keeping subsequent rounds from chambering properly. Use of the 32-20 case, with headspacing on the rim, can help prevent the problem.

P.S. Look back at a thread under "Wheelguns..." , under 30 Carbine Ruger Pistol for much more discussion on the subject.
    Last edited by Crooked Creek; 09-04-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Crooked,
    Sorry for the lack of response, didn't see the thread... Also been playing with some new acquisitions..

No, I havn't gone to 32-20. I put in an order with Jeff Bartlett (Nice guy to do business with!) and got a couple thou 30 carb. cases.

Just got some Hogden H110 last weekend and loaded up a couple 20 rounds. The 120 gr boolit on top of 14gr H110 shoots REAL nice!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Master

32-20 brass does not always work in new model blackhawks, will not work in old model blackhawks. I find 30C brass works great if trimmed to proper length.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator