Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading Range Brass

Boolit Grand Master

Loading Range Brass

I've always picked up brass and have loaded lots of range brass. I've always had enough name brand (FC, RP and WW) that I hardly ever loaded the lesser brands. I've been going through my 9mm brass getting ready for a marathon loading session and I have several cans of odd ball brands. I know 9mm brass is dirt cheap but I hate to scrap it. The back part of my brain says to save it for the next round of shortages. The front part of my brain says that I have enough FC, RP and WW to last my lifetime. So, I'm thinking about loading it and setting it aside for the times that I will shoot in places where you loose your brass.

Anyway, I have a few thousand mixed cases in brands like PPU, Perfecta, PMC, Blazer, CBC, S&B, Aguila, Midway, Hornady, Browning, GFL and probably a few others. Standing some of these up in a loading block the flash holes look to be centered and uniform. The rims are a little different. Some have a radius cut on the outside. Has anybody experienced any problems loading any of these that are worth mentioning? Thinking I'll run them through the Dillon with my favorite plinking load and use them for blasting ammo.
    Last edited by lightman; 07-28-2017 at 09:44 PM.

I've used all but the Perfecta, Midway, and Browning with no problems. But I'm like you, I tend to stick with the "usual suspects."

Boolit Master
    The only 9mm brass that I've heard of people avoiding is the 'interior stepped' brass that Freedom munitions made for a while (reducing case capacity). Here is a bit of recent info re: them discontinuing that style of case:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/22...stepped-brass/

Boolit Master
    I don't even look at the headstamps for 9mm. If a magnet won't pick it up, it goes in the press. I shoot so much 9mm it isn't funny, and I can say for sure that at out to 25 yards, I can't tell the difference between any of the cases. I'm not shooting 9mm for super pinpoint accuracy but it sure is good enough at 25 yards to hold a nice tight group in a 5" pie plate if I do my part.

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I don't even look at the headstamps for 9mm. If a magnet won't pick it up, it goes in the press. I shoot so much 9mm it isn't funny, and I can say for sure that at out to 25 yards, I can't tell the difference between any of the cases. I'm not shooting 9mm for super pinpoint accuracy but it sure is good enough at 25 yards to hold a nice tight group in a 5" pie plate if I do my part.
    What he said. Although my groups are a bit(choke, cough) bigger than his.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently loaded up a couple hundred using Perfecta brass for the 1st time and had no issues or complaints. I personally would use it. I have also used S&B brass, not for 9mm but 38 special. I hold my breath each time while priming because the primer pockets are so tight I am afraid I am going to set one off seating it. Not sure if they would have the same issue with 9mm but something to keep in mind.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    All I load for 9mm is range brass. I don't load on a Dillon or a progressive. I'm pretty low tech. I hand prime and load 'em on a Lee 4 hole turret. I don't sort head stamps. I de-prime and throw 'em in a large tote and when I get ready to load them, scoop a bunch up in a plastic dish. I do visually inspect when I hand prime them and I do run across some that just don't want to talk a primer once in a while (no specific head stamp and it isn't military brass). If I can't easily prime it with a hand primer it gets tossed into the scrap box.

We've all gone through "shortages" but honestly, there is so much 9mm out there. I usually buy it in late quantities so the price per casing is dirt cheap. Yea, I still pick it up when shooting if I can - old habits are hard to break but if I loose some, I don't worry about it. I don't know how much "range brass" I have but I would imagine that I'm probably sitting on about 10K if I was to get it together in one place. And yet, I still pick it up or buy it if I can get a bargain price on a quantity of it. Go figure . . . bad habits are hard to break and I'll probably never live long enough to use it all up. BUT .. I have it . . . "just in case". LOL

Boolit Master
    I pick up whatever I can when I'm finished shooting. I mostly shoot at an indoor range, so just sweep up a pile of brass people leave on the floor. The 9mm gets deprimed and sized and tossed into the tumbler. I already have a military 50 cal ammo box full of ready to load brass, and I do this same for .45 acp brass, although I don't own a .45 just now. I am starting with .38 Special and .357 again. All of my loaded round boxes I bought from Midway are currently full. If I could just get enough to get a new .45 Colt /.45 acp Redhawk.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I am sitting on a 25 lb box of 9mm range brass. Paid essentially scrap price for it. I have loaded maybe 300 rounds out of that box. Can hardly tell I have been in it.

I have seen no issues. But I do go over them pretty carefully by eye in the process.

I deprime with a Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer, citric acid & Dawn wash, couple of good rinses. Then I sit in my comfortable chair and put a brush in each primer pocket. Look at the flash hole. Then run the case on a towel down my leg. Look inside.

It takes time, but I have time to spare.

Anything that looks hinky in any way gets pitched.

The rest get sized, primers, a moderate charge of Red Dot and a .358 125 gr cast boolit.

Pretty good stash right now, have not been shooting much since my last run of 9mm.

Still I sleep good knowing the brass is there, the lead stash is there, the primers are there in the ammo can, and the big pile of Red Dot is there.

I would not even want to think about how many I could load if I felt the need.
    Mostly because right now I am just not feeling the need.

My 9mm Hipoint Carbine has a 100 round box in the case with it. My 9mm C9 Hipoint pistol has a 100 round box under its case. My 9mm handi barrel has a 100 round box it its case. And there are 3 full 100 round boxes on the ammo table.

My shooting buddy does not shoot anymore, sold his Beretta 92fs. So that is one less concern.

Yeah I sleep good.

Banned

I'd run them as separate from the others the first time.
    you'll figure out right quick if any are gonna give you any grief, then you can pick those out and re-cycle bin them.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys everyone. I have what I call my "working stock" for my pistol ammo. Large batches of 2000+ that I load with a proven load. Then I always have ammo available. In between loading these and shooting them, I try to cast enough bullets to load the next round. I think I'm going to make all of this odd ball stuff another working batch and use it in places where I may loose some.

This ammo shoots pretty well but I use matching head stamps for my hunting/defense loads or for hotter HP loads. I used this method with 223 and 308 when I was shooting AR's and M1-A's a lot more.

Boolit Man

I've ended up with W-W, F-C, and Blazer brass sorted to provide enough brass for serious stuff, and a mixed box of the others that you mention, except I pitch S&B and Aguila (may be crazy, but they just feel/look enough different that I'm suspicious off their metallurgy.) Mixed stuff ends up as blasting ammo.

Boolit Master
    I agree that it might be a good idea to load up about 20 rounds each with each type of head stamp and shoot them in groups. If there is a stutter or failure of any type, that brass will be a headache in the future so dispose of it. You will feel better having given it a chance to work or not. As to the "sleeved" cases, I am still seeing them as pick up brass from a LEO range, so they are still out there.

Last fall I bought 3000 pcs. to get started with 9mm. When it arrived I spent the time and sorted by headstamp. WIN, *F C*, R-P, Blazer, Perfecta and a few others that there were at least 100/150 of them. The rest got thrown into a mixed bag. All the stuff that was 100pcs or more I loaded up 1st to use up and develop loads. Then recently we were going with a group to an outdoor range and the question of brass recovery was questionable so I loaded up all that mixed stuff I had. While loading it there were times I could feel tight or loose primer pockets but didn't take notice of what it was as I didn't think it was coming back. Most of it did!

My observation from this is that the brass doesn't effect my shot grouping but the brass does effect my loading it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm probably going to prime this stuff by hand and then load it on the Dillon. I think seating the primer is going to be the headache here and priming problems aren't much fun on a progressive! Anything hard to prime will get scraped and I will be extra strict on the QC. Anything that is suspect will get scrapped.

Boolit Master
    The only brass I am avoiding is the 'interior stepped' brass that Freedom munitions sells, one guy I know had some of these separate at the step in a 9 mm carbine.

I always plunk test my loads in the barrel before taking them to a match. Any brass that has a crimped primer I run through my RCBS primer pocket swagger and load on my 550.

Boolit Master
    I run em all, S&B may have slightly tighter primer pockets but it doesn't bug me. Aguila was actually my factory ammo of choice before I started reloading myself. ~10 bucks a box and was the most accurate in my 2 guns even over winchester and the locally available stuff in walmart. I stocked in deep and still use it up when I take someone new to the range.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    I load it all.
    I've heard stories of the stepped stuff separating, haven't experienced it yet, have loaded lots of it.

S&B brass washed steel, load it right up too.

SDs might be a little on the large side, teens, but groups still stay around or under 4" at 25yds.

I do hear there's a stepped brand now that has a double thick step, haven't seen it yet, probably won't load that one, understand "normal" charges overflow and even with really fast powders it's way up in the case.

Boolit Master
    I suppose one of the advantages of not running a case feeder on my AP means I get to look at each case as I load them in. I haven't seen any of the stepped cases but I do occasionally catch a SPP 45 case that snuck past my sorting stage. I would toss a stepped case in my recycle bucket if I find one.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

As of now I have about a plastic lunch baggie full of those cases. If I recall there are also about 3 different headstamps on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast