WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: S&W 357 Mag Brass?

Boolit Buddy

S&W 357 Mag Brass?

I have been looking for a sticky to avoid newbie questions, but can't find one that reviews different manufacturer's brass. So here hoes: Local gun shot has a very large supply of S&W fired 357 Mag nickel plated brass for $3.50/ box. I believe this was from the Wilmington Police Department. I could use a few boxes of 357 cases, but didn't even know S&W made ammo. Any one (or everyone?) have good luck with this? They also have boxed 45ACP wadcutter match brass.

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly, S&W ammo with their brand name was discontinued in the early 1980s. They also had a polymer coated bullet at that time that they called Nyclad. I bought a case of 158 gr jacketed hollow points when they were closing them out. It was some of the best factory ammo that I had tried and the brass was very good. That was over 30 years ago. It's possible that that brass could be starting to get brittle now but then again it may be just fine. I do know that at the time the brass was indeed very good.

Boolit Buddy
    While I don't know who actually made the ammunition and the breath Smith & Wesson did have a line of ammunition for a while. I have a bunch of nickel 38 with the Smith & Wesson headstamp and it seems to shoot just fine. At 3.50 a box for what is problably once fired brass I would not hesitate to get some and try it out.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, I bought a box and will give them a try.

Boolit Master

I too have some of the S&W stamped .38 brass. Loaded some the other night.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

In Remembrance
    I have a coffee can full of the 158 gr. swc nyclad boolits that was bought years ago off ebay. Never have loaded any of them yet. Early PC coating.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a great deal of trouble with 38 Special S&W brass. It was much thicker than most other brands and eventually culled them out and used them only for Jacketed.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I've probably got three or four hundred rounds of S&W .357, some of which have been reloaded a half-dozen times. Case walls are a little thicker but not enough to cause a problem in any of my revolvers. However, even loaded with jacketed, it won't chamber in the .357 barrel of my Contender...which also won't accept nickle W-W cases, either.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Back in the early 80s S&W sold ammo ! My local gun shop also sold new S&W 357 brass for a short time , I still have a few hundred thats still in service .

Boolit Master
    30 year old brass from a gun show.... I'd be afraid it's seen hard use at some time. I'd prefer to buy brass from the vendors here that get brass from indoor shooting ranges.