Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 load for white tail?

Boolit Buddy

45-70 load for white tail?

Since Iowa just moved to use 45-70 for white tail this year what are some peoples favorite load for deer?

Black powder or smokeless.

Thanks Scott

Won't take much. A case full of trail Boss or about 12.0g of Unique with the standard 405g cast bullet will bowl a deer over no problem.
    It doesn't take much to kill a deer if you put it in the engine room where it belongs. Shot placement beats uber super magnum any day.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    i use a 405gr fbfn and a varget(can't remember the load, but it is a springfield load).

i have found that a 330gr gould hp is a great one too. i would go with a springfield load too.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I use a Gould 330 grain HP for our Blacktails out here. I know some would say to use a hardcast flat nose and I wouldn't argue with them. I like the HP because it is accurate and kills our small deer quickly. Also no gas check makes it cheaper to shoot. I have a 405 RCBS for anything bigger.

Banned

I'd think just about any Trapdoor load as long as it had a flat nose would work just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I was looking more for mold info, I only have two right now. A 535 postell and a 457121ph, I think a bit overkill for deer. I was also wondering if the lyman 457122 330hp bullet would work in a miroku 1886. Looks like a good boolit for deer.

Vendor Sponsor

That would be a great bullet in most 45-70's .. as for the miroku.. don't have one ..so cant say as far as fit goes
    I use a NOE 460 350 HP which comes out at about 330 4 deer last year all DRT
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lyman 457122 is the Gould bullet (iirc). If you make it accurate, it'll work. I have used the 460-420 (415 gr large meplat) with great success for everything. Right now I'm experimenting with a 350 gr RD boolit but haven't got to where I want to be, yet. Personally, I stay down in the trap door load levels and haven't ever found a reason to go higher.

Banned

I've been working with a 3oo grain Saeco and the 350 grain Lee and 5744 in mine. I have no doubt that combo would take Bambi doen cleanly in my normal hunting conditions.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    I guess I was looking more for mold info, I only have two right now. A 535 postell and a 457121ph, I think a bit overkill for deer. I was also wondering if the lyman 457122 330hp bullet would work in a miroku 1886. Looks like a good boolit for deer.

Well sac. I think the first thing to do is a pound cast. Depending on what it tells you about your chamber you can then start to close in on what nose and body profile you need for the "best fit" choice. At least that is where I would start.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just getting into the 4570curious about varget. I don't remember seeing varget listed for light 4570 loads..im greatful for any info or direction ....

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    That's a deep rabbit hole but I have a 405g hollow base single cavity made by Lee years ago. Maybe you can find one on Ebay. It shoots like a house fire in my buddy's 450 Marlin which is basically the same thing you have. I figured seating depth then measured 100% case fill with no compression using Trail Boss. He's taken several deer with it and managed a cool shot on a coyote that was raiding his chickens. It was a frontal shot between his front legs. It exited out the poor things junk. I guess it was because it was a slightly angled down shot off the back porch. .....it didn't run for some reason. LOL!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Man
    I use a 350 RD with RL7 in my GBL. 1 hog and 2 deer since Ohio allowed them. Like a lot of people say DRT.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I'm just getting into the 4570curious about varget. I don't remember seeing varget listed for light 4570 loads..im greatful for any info or direction ....
    i use lyman 49th ed

330gr gould
    varget 38.0gr
    varget 53.0gr

405gr fbfn
    varget 42.0gr
    varget 46.5gr

Boolit Grand Master
    I also am going to use the Gould hp this season
    will use rl-7 or 3031
    have used an 420 gr accurate mold boolit previously
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, HBAR2989

Boolit Buddy
    Doing some surfing, looks like this boolit should work in the Miraku 1886.

Boolit Buddy
    The Gould is deadly, but tears up a lot of meat. The 457121ph works like a champ, is accurate, and is fine for bears and anything else that comes along. It will destroy less meat than the Gould and give far greater penetration. Either bullet is a winner--my favorite and the one I use is the 457121ph.

Boolit Master
    325 WFN over a dose of Unique works fantastic as does the Gould HP with a fiber wad or pillow ticking over a nice low dose of Unique.

12.0 Grains Unique with Dacron wad for the 325 grain WFN
    10.0 grains Unique with a Dacron wad for the Gould HP

Easy shooting accurate and deadly and easy on the shoulder.

I use the tlc460-310-rf that Ranch Dog designed for the Marlin. NOE has the 350 grain version with and without the gas check. Either of these will do the job with their big, fat meplats. I use them in a lever action and an original Trapdoor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast