Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45-70 load for white tail?

Banned
    Iowa Fox,

CORRECT in all respects.

yours, tex

Boolit Master

I shoot the gould boolit with 29 gr IMR 4198 out of my Marlin 1895 CB I get about 1350fps and at this speed (which is what this boolit was meant for in 1880), and coww allow, I find it very deadly on WTD and not destructive on meat.This boolit speed makes it a 100 yd deer gun unless you practice a lot at longer ranges to work out the arcing trajectory.

I have used a Accurate Molds 46-405A with 2400 on deer. Then I tried a big charge of IMR3031 with the same boolit and it shoots very good. The recoil isn't particularly bad either. Doesn't snap at your shoulder like 2400 or IMR4198 can. I've read that 3031, 4895 and H322 are good choices and finally got to try some 3031 late last winter and gained speed and had recoil that is more like a push than a punch.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Has anyone tried Accurate 2015 or 2230 in the 45/70.
    I don't know how it is with light loads. But 2230 is THE 458 heavy bullet powder. !! And 2015 is great for light bullets.
    It's been a LONG time since I loaded 3031 in the 45/70.
    I do remember I was loading 52 gr pushing a 350 gr Hornady at around 2200 fps from my Ruger #1 . But that was 31 years ago.
    45/70 was my first big bore rifle. Soon as money allowed, I built my first 458 later that year.
    You are being watched.

I used the LEE 340 grain flat nose on several deer and feral hogs. I water quenched (wheelweights for lead) them from the mold and they came out pretty hard. I found that 31.0 grains of IMR 4227 was plenty accurate and guestimated velocity is in the mid 1500 fps arena. Results on deer, every one ran at least 35 yards, farthest 50 yards, I was hitting them in the ribs and got exactly what I expected a reasonable blood trail and dead deer. The hogs were all hit in the neck, head or spine and accordingly they fell and kicked around a bit then expired. Accuracy was excellent. My next mold is going to be a WFN from NOE or Arsenal not sure which but in a over 400 grain bullet. I got plenty of penetration with the 340 LEE as I never recovered one but the mold started giving me problems so it's new mold time.
    Last edited by rickt300; 08-05-2017 at 01:45 PM.

I also shot a few deer with the 311291 out of my 30-30. 23.0 grains of IMR 4198 under a gaschecked 311291 made with wheelweight material water quenched. I used a vice to seat the gascheck and squeezed the bullet enough to slightly flatten the nose of the bullet. My velocity guestimate is 1900 fps. The rifle a beat down 1974 model 94 Winchester shot this load as well as any factory load and the lead bullet did plenty of damage when I hit a shoulder or neck. I traded the rifle off to a friend and after 20 years I am still building this load for him. He has used it way more than I ever did and the stack of deer and hogs he has killed with this rifle is impressive. I wish I had kept the rifle but I now have a 1943 Model 94 to try the load in and it is in far better shape than the 1974 I traded off! Oops off topic, sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Happy for you Scott. Keep us posted on your progress as you get ready for hunting season. Over 55 years ago my uncle told me you need to shoot at least twice a week starting 3 to 4 months before season or shooting match's. He was really right, it makes a big difference. Velocity kills when you're shooting jacketed bullets, NOT so when your shooting lead. Remember the buffalo hunters that cleaned the plains with big slow lead bullets. Hope you post a pic of the monster you take for us guys, goes for all the Iowa guys using rifles & handguns with their home brew lead bullets.
    I agree Iowa fox, I shoot 2 to 3 times a week. I am fortunate to have my own range, plus training drills I learned from Larry Vickers.

Boolit Bub
    My Marlin (microgoove barrel) likes the Ranch Dog (a Lee mold) 350 grain and 5744 powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't use a pointed style bullet. Shot one pushing 600 yards many years ago and it showed no sign of being hit. Went about 200 yards before piling up. Using a 500 grain pointed bullet over 62 grains 2F BP in a trap door. If I hunt gun season this year and not early muzzle loader I will use a 400 grain FN over 66 or 67 grains of 2F BP. I think that will go through a deer at 1000yards. Be out of a Remington Roller.
    As for smokeless powder I use IMR3031. With that powder you can go from trap door loads of 1200fps up to 1850 fps with a 500 grain cast or over 2000 fps with a 400 grain and anything between providing your rifle will stand the load.
    Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123