MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee's new press!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    My EZ Prime is steel, that one looks like cast. Not sure if it matters or not. But my primer cup base is smooth and machined looking the one in the picture looks cast.

What if anything does it have going for itself? Other than being "new".
    It does look like cast aluminum. Mine look like cast iron. Totally smooth except for little imperfections in the iron.

Also there should be a paint color "Lee Red" just like John Deere Green.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

I noticed the base and the stamped steel part are the same color so no indication of material used for the base...

Where is this info coming from? Just one press shipped as a replacement? Or possibly from a Lee employee?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Just finished a conversation with my source at Lee Precision. This base is the replacement for the old Red Aluminum. The decision was made to phase out the Red Aluminum bases as the new bases became available. She also confirmed that it will be the base for the new 4 hole progressive in about year. The new turret base will not show up in the catalog until the 2018 edition. No comment as to the the color issue as yet?
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    This base is the replacement for the old Red Aluminum. The decision was made to phase out the Red Aluminum bases as the new bases became available. She also confirmed that it will be the base for the new 4 hole progressive in about year. ?
    Interesting. Not that I need a new press or another press. Will the new 4 hole progressive be compatible with the 4 hole turret unlike the Pro 1000 and the 3 hole turret press that the turrets cannot just be taken out and swapped back and forth between the 2 presses.

Looks like the base is mim or sintered (whatever the linkage parts are made out of) I guess it would make sense to switch to that for bases instead of the aluminum bases. Just don't mess with the classic turret.

Boolit Master

Looks interesting

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Interesting. Not that I need a new press or another press. Will the new 4 hole progressive be compatible with the 4 hole turret unlike the Pro 1000 and the 3 hole turret press that the turrets cannot just be taken out and swapped back and forth between the 2 presses.
    looks like it. i don't see why the would change out the top portion at all. i amy order the new base in a year or so as im not really fond how the spent primers fall now.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    looks like it. i don't see why the would change out the top portion at all. i amy order the new base in a year or so as im not really fond how the spent primers fall now.
    The 3 hole turrets are identical problem is one cannot be taken out and put into the other press w/o moving die positions and die depth as the Pro 1000 and the turret press do not stroke to the same length in relation to the turret bottom. So a turret with dies set up for a turret press cannot be taken out and just dropped into a Pro 1000 with out a lot of adjustments. Would have been nice if it would have worked that way.

Boolit Master
    Lee again Has filled the gap for The Loader That does not Have any Money to spend Or want to spend any money @ all.
    Cheap will always be in Demand . when it comes to Reloaders
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

salpal I guess I fall into the last category as yes I have Lee and yes it was all purchased USED!

Boolit Master
    That base looks like an improvement over the old aluminum base and its flimsy hold down bolt tabs.

Boolit Buddy
    Saw that fb post. The guy took a large magnet and let it hang from the base. This says its steel!

Definitely compression die formed sintered ferrous metal. How strong it turns out depends on the material used, the heat binding process and final heat treatments. Time will tell, but I would hope it is better than the die cast aluminum ones. Although I have never broken an aluminum one some have.

GD
    Last edited by Gillie Dog; 07-31-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12