RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Shooting BPCR in Washington State

Shooting BPCR in Washington State

I have a local range that has targets out to 200 yards but can any one recommend or point me in the right direction for shoots or groups in Washington state? I live in Bellingham but have no issue heading to the dry side of the state for fly fishing so wouldn't have any issues for shoots..or just a range with long distance targets or gongs...

Thanks
    Last edited by vikingson57; 07-29-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    They shoot BPTR at the rattlesnake range north of Redman, midrange and silhouette at Spokane. I think it's the Evergreen muzzleloaders that shoot what they call an Old West cartridge gun match once a month.
    Next time you get past a magazine rack that sells Rifle, Handloader etc, watch for the Black Powder Cartridge News magazine, they often print a list of ranges/clubs around the country, with dates and types of match.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Check out the Rattlesnake Mountain facility. They have black powder target rifle matches there at 600 and 1000 yards. They've also recently started an NRA state championship match with a long range, and I believe a mid-range, course of fire.

Chris.

Thanks...I will check out the Rattlesnake Mountain facility. And I might head to Spokane to check out one of their shoots as well...I figured there were some shoots on the dry side...I had also heard somewhere there might be someplace down Vancouver way as well. I am surprised there isn't anything around Ellensberg, or at least I haven't heard about anything there...or even Winthrop for that matte. Thanks again

Boolit Man
    I live in Yakima and routinely shoot at the TCSA Rattlesnake range which located a few miles north of Richland WA. We shoot both mid (300 and 600 yds) and long (800, 900 & 1000 yds) range BPTR. The next match is set for Aug 11, 12 & 13. It’s not a big match, but does fun bunch of guys that shoot there.

Eatonville has a monthly BPCR silhouette match. Here’s a link to their website: http://uppernisquallysportsmanclub.c...2802&pageid=34
    Also a fun bunch of shooters.

While not in Washington, the Great Basin Sharpshooters holds monthly matches at the COSSA range which is located about 25 miles east of Bend OR. Here is website link: http://greatbasinsharpshooters.com. It’s a gong type shoot. Very relaxed and friendly.

Hope this helps
    Skip

Boolit Master
    The Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club in Eatonville has a 550 yard range. We shoot NRA BPRC matches about once a month. I'm heading out tomorrow with my Sharps to the 550 yard range if you'd care to be my guest. The next match is Aug 6th.

Thank you ...unfortunately I can't tomorrow, but I might see if I can make it on the 6th. I would love to just go and watch the shooting and talk to folks about it...I sure with there was a range in Whatcom or Skagit county..Or ever Snohomish. Thanks again.

Thank you...I will check them out. I appreciate the information.

Boolit Grand Master

Check with the Washington Rifle pistol association for matches when and where. They also may have match rules the course of fire and costs. The NRA may also have information on their web sites.

Boolit Master
    The Upper Nisqually range calendar says the match is the 13th of August, not the 6th.

Good Ideas...thank you I will

Thanks...the 13th might just work before I head to Montana for some fly fishing...I will let you know.

Boolit Master
    The Tri-Cities range is open Friday August 11th for a 600-800 yard shoot/sight in at 8:00 AM, 1,000 yard range at 1:30. I'm planning on going.

I tried to make it to the Tri-Cities/Richland ranges for BPCR long range this summer but life kept getting in the way!
    Next year I retire, will definitely make it then!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mak View Post
    I tried to make it to the Tri-Cities/Richland ranges for BPCR long range this summer but life kept getting in the way!
    Next year I retire, will definitely make it then!
    Here it is almost a year later. I retire May 24th!
    The TCSA website is difficult to comprehend, a lot of acronyns. Can someone tell me about the July match they have coming up?

Boolit Master
    Big Mak,

There is a group that shoots informally I think every Wednesday morning at the Capitol City Pistol and Rifle Range just outside of Olympia.
    They have a more formal shoot every month or two on the weekend.
    I've shot with them once. I think they are limited to 100 and 200 yards, but it's better than nothing!
    One of these days, I hope to have a bit more time as well....

-Tom

Boolit Man
    Congats on the retirement!! The July TCSA match will be the 20th, 21st and 22nd. Match fees are $30 for 3 days of shooting. You will be expected to take a turn in the pits to pull targets. If you haven't done this before, it easy to learn!

The 20th is a mid-range match with 10 shots for score at 300 yards and 10 at 600 yards. This usually is ends around noon or so. In the afternoon you can practice for the long range match which is held on the 21st and the 22nd. A great way to get sight settings for those longer distances. On the 21st, they'll shoot at 10 at 800, the 10 at 900 and 10 at 1000. It will be 2 to 4 in the afternoon by the time its over. Then on the 22nd its 2 strings of 10 shot at the 1000 yard line. There aren't many BP shooters, but they are a fun bunch.
    Start time is 7am. For a lot more info, here is link to the TCSA website flyer: https://www.tcsa.info/pdfs/highpower...ch-program.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Big Mak,

There is a group that shoots informally I think every Wednesday morning at the Capitol City Pistol and Rifle Range just outside of Olympia.
    They have a more formal shoot every month or two on the weekend.
    I've shot with them once. I think they are limited to 100 and 200 yards, but it's better than nothing!
    One of these days, I hope to have a bit more time as well....

-Tom
    Thanks Tom.
    We have a Military CMP shoot once a month on 200 yd range at my local gun club. I'm looking to extend beyond 200 yds. Thank you for the invite though!
    Last edited by Big Mak; 04-25-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 38-72 View Post
    Congats on the retirement!! The July TCSA match will be the 20th, 21st and 22nd. Match fees are $30 for 3 days of shooting. You will be expected to take a turn in the pits to pull targets. If you haven't done this before, it easy to learn!

The 20th is a mid-range match with 10 shots for score at 300 yards and 10 at 600 yards. This usually is ends around noon or so. In the afternoon you can practice for the long range match which is held on the 21st and the 22nd. A great way to get sight settings for those longer distances. On the 21st, they'll shoot at 10 at 800, the 10 at 900 and 10 at 1000. It will be 2 to 4 in the afternoon by the time its over. Then on the 22nd its 2 strings of 10 shot at the 1000 yard line. There aren't many BP shooters, but they are a fun bunch.
    Start time is 7am. For a lot more info, here is link to the TCSA website flyer: https://www.tcsa.info/pdfs/highpower...ch-program.pdf
    Thank you!
    Is there a warm up before the match? You know, to make sure sights and such are in working order?
    I'm tentatively planning on this match!
    Any recommendations where to set up a 34ft 5th wheel RV and truck? Edit: Disregard question about RVs, I read the bottom of the flyer.
    Last edited by Big Mak; 04-25-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Man
    No warm up match. Only Friday afternoon practice for the long range. There are a several different rifle makes and calibers used to shoot the matches. Shooters will share sight setting with you. You get 4 sighters at mid-range and an unlimited number at the long range. We'll coach you and help you get on the target. What make of rifle (and caliber) will you be using?