Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: How Phat is ur Can ?

Boolit Buddy

How Phat is ur Can ?

I just got my P.M. check makers. Only made about 4o so far, experimenting with different Al. for 45 PB boolits.

Found some Al. blinds at the scrap yard, (.008") but they got some kind of paint on them. comes off too easy to be worth dealing with. Don't want to clog up. Tried baking the paint off with a torch, but that is just getting way more complicated than it all really needs to be.

Got a small quantity of litho (.010") that someone used to make a homemade chimney flue. No soot, but it's a little bent up. It seems to work pretty good, but I had to modify my sizer (.0452" in a Lyman 4500) to get it to accept that thickness without tearing the skirts off those girls.

I tried a Squirt (.003") can before I modified my sizer, gonna have to try again to test new results.

So I brought home a sample from the Can machine today. This is totally unofficial. My quick measurements with a Hornady Digital Caliper.

Rockstar pull top .005"
    Peace Tea (big can) .005"
    Coors Twist top Bottle .008"
    Monster pull top .004"
    Mega Monster Twist top .004"
    Arizona Green Tea .005"
    Michelob Ultra .004"

Plus I got a short section of aluminum flue that's un-coated that I haven't had time to measure yet. And I'm waiting to get my hands on some of the Blue or Red Budweiser bottles. I'm just experimenting to see what works for me.

That was all I could grab that wasn't crinkled. I will keep my eye open for different options, but I won't be trying anything that I think might be to hard. After arguing with those blinds, I am really leaning towards Yonky as a source, but like a lot of other people, I like options.

Anybody else found any good Local sources ?

How fat is my can??? Isn't that a very personal question? I mean yeah...I fill up a seat pretty good, but there is room left over....

Vendor Sponsor

Mines bigger than .004 thats for sure
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I drink so much soda I'll never run out of material. Yes my "can" is bigger than .004.

Vendor Sponsor

some of my "cans" have holes bigger than .458
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In Remembrance

Screw on or sit on?
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Well the airline doesn't try to charge me extra for my seat width so by that measure I have a small can. By any other eh? Not so much.

There is an aluminum roof flashing available at ACE Hardware that Pat has posted about. Probably the cheapest and nationally available "off the shelf" option. But you do have to cut it into strips, paper cutter can prove useful. Yonky it's already to go in rolls cut to width.

Really either way homemade GC material costs are trivial in cost of finished round, and will be cheaper than buying ready made. With one additional advantage. Can make GC for 30 caliber, or .38 or .45 or 7mm or... all from the same supply of material so something to be said for having supply of material on hand that can cover whatever your needs are.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I've found that a doubled over Pepsi can works well for .45 and .44 caliber handgun boolits. I have a small arbor press that I bought from Harbour Freight several years ago. I can flatten the strips quite well and then punch out the checks. On a whim I put a .45 caliber aluminum check ( well, several actually ) on some .44 cast boolits and sized and lubed them. They worked perfectly.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?