Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser drops round while extracting.

Mauser drops round while extracting.

Mauser action is dropping round out during ejection. As soon as the round is clear of the ring it drops back down into of magazine instead of holding until it reaches the ejector. I have replaced the extractor and it still does the same thing. Does anyone know of a way to remedy this?

The Mauser has a positive ejector, which is a spring-driven pivoting piece of metal attached to the left rear of the receiver, that moves in behind the case as the bolt is operated,

When the cartridge case, which should be held in place on the bolt via a combination of the extractor's grip on the cartridge rim, and the small rim around the bolt face, impacts the extended ejector and gets pivoted out of the receiver.

If your Mauser is not ejecting, then there could be a variety of reasons:

1) Foreign matter in the bolt face is not allowing the base/rim of the cartridge to fully seat inside the circular edge of the bolt face - clean it in the angle of the boltface rim and the boltface itself.

2) The ejector is either not in the gun, is broken off short (the tip), or bent, so that it can not slide into the cut on the left locking lug when the bolt is withdrawn to the rear - replace the entire unit.(bolt stop, ejector & EJ spring)

3) The EJ spring is missing, broken , or has lost its springiness - replace the entire unit, as above.

4) The bolt is not being moved all the way to the rear, either from short-stroking or interference from a bent/broken EJ plate.

5) Since there are different Mauser extractors available (they all look almost identical, but are not), it could be that the wrong extractor(s) have been installed.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    Wow! Just wanted to comment on the amount of experience and brain power on this board never ceases to amaze me. I have a Mauser that is torn down at the moment for a project and will have to now look at the entire ejection processes to understand what I just read. Thanks to all who take the time.

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

#5 I believe may be the problem I was not aware of variation in extractor types. The one I replaced it with has what appears to be an anchor stamped at the tail end of it. Any idea what this would have been made for?

It seems that as soon as the cartridge clears the front ring it just drops out of the extractor and off the bolt face. It never makes it back to the ejector to be thrown clear.

In Remembrance

What action do you have? If you have one of the Yugo Mausers with a 98 extractor then that is your problem. Also you might have one of the 91,93,95 Mausers extractor. Most of the extractors will fit but not work properly. More info needed.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Vz24 Czech

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Did someone alter the extractor to "jump" the rim when single loaded directly into the chamber and grind it so short that it does not hold the case against the opposite side of the bolt face?

Is the side opposite the extractor extremely worn and rounded therefore not supporting the case against the extractor?

This is pretty far out, but is it possible that the bolt face has been altered to MAG?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by kfd518 View Post
    Vz24 Czech
    You need the extractor for the 24. The VZ24 is a medium length action and takes a shorter extractor. If you just buy a "Mauser extractor" then it is most likely for the long action 98,turks, etc. If that is the case then that explains the case dropping before ejection. E-sarco.com had the correct part a few days ago. Should still have some.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

VZ-24 is a standard length 98 action. Your replacement extractor is probably for an argentine 98 which is a little different than a standard 98 extractor because the rim is thicker on the 7.65x53.

One question. Is your rifle still in it's original chambering?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    VZ-24 is a standard length 98 action. Your replacement extractor is probably for an argentine 98 which is a little different than a standard 98 extractor because the rim is thicker on the 7.65x53.

One question. Is your rifle still in it's original chambering?
    is the anchor stamp marking an argentine extractor? Guessing the tip is shorter on argentine vs standard? It is now chambered in 35 whelen but it does not hold any 30- family cartridge
    Last edited by kfd518; 07-27-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added information

Quote Originally Posted by kfd518 View Post
    is the anchor stamp marking an argentine extractor? Guessing the tip is shorter on argentine vs standard? It is now chambered in 35 whelen but it does not hold any 30- family cartridge
    Yes, just checked 2 of my Argentine mausers and they both have the anchor on the very end. Not sure if the claw is shorter but there is more clearance between the extractor and the bolt face to allow for the thicker rim of the 7.65x53. Therefore it doesn't hold the cartridge tight enough to allow proper extraction.

Boolit Buddy
    Take the bolt out and slide a rim under the extractor. The case should kind of snap into position and be held up by the extractor tension. If not, it could be the shape of the hook or lack of spring tension. The edge of the hook should be slightly crescent shape. If the hook is to open on the bottom it will push the cartridge down. It's not easy to add material, so a different extractor may be in order. Some extractors lose their tension from being removed, but it is an easy fix. Remove it, bend the tail of the extractor toward the bolt so it has more tension upon reassembly. When reassembling, only flex it enough to install. It is hard to explain in writing, but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

PS edit. It looks like the above post may be on to something. The hook has to be close enough to the bolt face to hold the rim against the opposite edge of the bolt. But not so close as to prevent a round from tipping in out of the magazine.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Did someone alter the extractor to "jump" the rim when single loaded directly into the chamber and grind it so short that it does not hold the case against the opposite side of the bolt face?

Is the side opposite the extractor extremely worn and rounded therefore not supporting the case against the extractor?

This is pretty far out, but is it possible that the bolt face has been altered to MAG?
    FYI, the usual method is to relieve the receiver wall, rather than weaken the spring
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    FYI, the usual method is to relieve the receiver wall, rather than weaken the spring
    I don't understand what you mean by "relieve the receiver wall".
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "relieve the receiver wall".
    Think about where the end of the extractor contacts as the cartridge is pushed home. There needs to be enough relief to allow the extractor to over ride the rim as it is chambered.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    Yes, just checked 2 of my Argentine mausers and they both have the anchor on the very end. Not sure if the claw is shorter but there is more clearance between the extractor and the bolt face to allow for the thicker rim of the 7.65x53. Therefore it doesn't hold the cartridge tight enough to allow proper extraction.
    Check dimensions in 8!mm Mauser vs 7.65 argentine.
    Argentine extractor rim groove appears to be .3 mm thinner than 8mm
    Argentine case head appears to be .1 mm narrower
    Argentine Extractor groove width appears to be .1 mm wider.
    The groove width is where I would imagine to be a problem.
    Either way my cartridge is not held tight on the bolt face. Can anyone recommend an extractor that would give a tighter fit or can someone take some measurements of extractor hooks they have on hand.

The extractor currently in it is unaltered brand new.
    The only modification done to the original was relieving the bottom edge of the extractor. I imagine this was done to help feed cartridges at one point in time from the right side of magazine.

I'd order a vz24 extractor from Sarco or Numrich and go from there if you haven't already.
    Best, Thomas.

It seems it will grip R P 270 head stamps. It will not grip hornady or R P 35 whelen head stamp though.

In that case try 30-06 brass. Find a brand that fits then form those to .35 Whelen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast