Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: .32 Rimfire Conversions

.32 Rimfire Conversions

I have a antique Flobert Lifting Breech Rifle in .32 Rimfire that I picked up recently. I am planning on converting it to a centerfire cartridge. The ones I have found that might work are the .32S&W, 32Long Colt, and 32-20 Winchester Center Fire because they all have similar bore diameters. I know that i will need to convert the firing pin to centerfire and I have a method that will work. I plan on reloading blackpowder casings for it

What cartrige do you guys think will work best?

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I don't believe I would convert it. The actions are pretty weak on those rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    I don't believe I would convert it. The actions are pretty weak on those rifles.
    Not even if I load it to 32 Rimfire specs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would go with 32 S&W, that's about the same size

Many years ago, I had a Marlin lever-action .32 convertible. It had a rimfire firing pin for .32 Short rimfire and .32 Long rimfire ammunition and another firing pin for .32 Short Colt and .32 Long Colt ammunition. The .32 Colt ammunition is externally identical to the .32 rimfire ammo but it takes a heeled boolit if you're going to cast your own and reload for it.

In Remembrance

Keep in mind that .32 Short & Long Colt have smaller case diameter than .32 S&W short and long. Most .32 Colt cartridges are also loaded with heeled/outside lubricated bullets. Colt and S&W cases are not interchangeable. .32 Rim-fire were mostly loaded with heeled bullets and .322-.325 diameter bullets. Depending on your chamber diameter, you may need Colt or S&W diameter brass. If you keep to .32 Rim-fire pressures with either black or smokeless powder you should be fine. I had a Flobert .32 rifle that was converted to take center fire .32 S&W long cases with heeled bullets. It worked fine with 2 grains of Bullseye and a 98 grain heeled bullet cast of pure lead. The Flobert action is not particularly strong so keep loads on the mild side.