Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need help with 22 hornet bullet seating dies

Need help with 22 hornet bullet seating dies

I was using the seating die from the lee set and noticed some run out with the speer jacketed bullets i have, which are plain base.
    So ive read about this problem and ive found so many folks doing things so many ways, i need clarifation. What is the best die to bullet seat the hornets.
    I have the lee seater,but what about the redding or forester bench seating dies. I dont mind the bucks just wantthe right one.
    Do i also need a collet sizing die? Or m die? Confusion is setting in!!
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

In Remembrance
    The 22 hornet with it's long tapered body and neck can be a bit aggravating at times. I have found that flat based bullets, cast or jacketed, tend to get better results when a two step M die is used to slightly bell the mouth of the case. This allows the bullet to start in the neck straighter. The bell is removed in the crimp process. Be gentle with the crimp as very little is needed. Too much crimp will push neck/shoulder back. The hornet case is thin in the shoulder/neck area. Hope this is of help to you. Iron Whittler

I like the Lee Collet die for sizing 22Hornet. Size once, the rotate the shell 180 degrees and size again. I found I was less likely to crush the brass with the collet dies. Since it's not a full length resize, it means I have to keep the brass segregated between my Handi Rifle and my Contender.

Then I use a Lyman M die to open the case mouth so that the bullet starts square to the mouth.

Then seating die (Lee in this case) followed by a Lee crimp die. Again, very little chance of crushing the neck with the Lee Crimp die.

Started with the standard rcbs seater, upgraded to the Forester, it works very well. If I were to do it today, I'd go with the Redding, I have a couple of Redding competition seaters and I like them better. I can't quantify the difference, just like the Redding better.

I just use regular RCBS dies.

He keys to .22 Hornet success for me was brass fireformed for the rifle, size the neck only as far down as the base of the bullet will be when seated and trying various bullets.

Some bullets I tried were 2" groups at 100 yds, the ones my contender like best are 3/8" at 100 yds.

Lots of things can cause your runout, might try measuring just the case right before you size and deprime, then again right after. If it's good before and out after I bet your messing it up with the expander and need a different lube or application method, likely why Dudel likes the Lee collet die. The Hornet is a weak case and doesn't take much to mess it up and once you mess the case up, no bullet seater is going to make it better.

FWIW you might take your bullets that show runout (assuming the case itself is not the problem) and chamber them in the rifle once and measure them again. In the hornet case I have seen bullet tip runout up to .002", go to .0005 after being chambered.

Boolit Master

if you chamfer the inside of the case before seating flat base bullets and be careful seating the bullet ,making sure its straight ! it will work ok 98%of the time.
    If not get a lyman or rcbs M die to flair the case mouth slightly.

Boolit Master

It's such a fragile case but such fun to shoot! I flare just enough to get the bullet started. Unless you have a huge quantity of bullets you might consider boat tailed bullets. I do whatever I can to protect the brass and use boat tails. I shoot 'em in a Contender pistol. Huge fun whether hunting or plinking.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris