Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps question

Pedersoli Sharps question

I have been looking at the Pedersoli Sharps in order to get started in shooting long range BPCR. 45-70 is the caliber I am looking at..I see prices ranging from $1200 to well over $2000. Cimarron has some basic rifles with out any frills for $1600-$1800 while Dixie has similar ones for $1200-$1500...Are the Cimarron rifles any different or better than the Dixie or Cabela rifles or any of the other ones out there? I am looking for someone to hopefully shed some light on this. Thanks. I am looking closely at the Dixie rifles just due to cost but if Cimarron has better grades for a couple hundred bucks it might be worth the upgrade.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    About the only difference is who's name is stamped on the barrel on any of the Pedersoli/Uberti built sharps, Pedersoli does the metal, Uberti does the wood, Pedersoli's are all produced in house.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

That is kind of what I thought. I know Cimarron touts themselves as requiring a higher standard from Uberti and Pedersoli for their arms but I have never been sure if this was really the case...Thanks

Boolit Master
    I've owned three Pedersoli Sharps rifles and they were all excellent quality and shootes. They make a lot of different models so you'll need to determine which one you want. You can buy them from under a thousand on sale and you can buy them for over two thousand if you go high end. I've had some of each. They all shot great regardless of the price. For BPCR you may want a particular weight due to the rules of the game. Too heavy and they aren't eligible. Check Cherry's for info, selection, and availability. Their prices are usually fair.
    http://cherrys.com/

Thanks, I will check Cherry's out...I appreciate the info...

Boolit Buddy
    I have a "Quigley" from Cabela's. Super shooter, high quality gun.
    Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    Does the price difference have anything to do with the sights that come on the rifles?

Boolit Master
    Had a buddy that shot BPCR and he loved the Pedersoli's sharps rifles. Had about 4 of them and used to travel to various matches. Pretty outspoken about them. Had some of the other expensive makes as well as a couple of the farmingdale sharps Didn't think they were worth all the hype and money. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quality sights, imho, are more important that the name stamped on any of the Italian Sharps.
    Check MVA's website.

Rich

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Does the price difference have anything to do with the sights that come on the rifles?
    Fit and finish and wood have a lot to do with the price. I have a hunter model and it is straight grained Walnut dull finish on the metal and wood and I got it on sale at Cabela's for $1099 they took another 15% off because I was a veteran and I had $500 in Cabela's points on my CC so ended up with $477 in the rifle. It ain't pretty but it shoots.
    My Godson found one of the fancy ones used at a gun shop and it is a piece of art. Fancy wood in the stock polished Blue barrel, French Gray receiver, high luster finish on the stock. New price was $1800 and he picked it up for 1K which I would have given in a heartbeat. It also shoots very well.
    Not trying to toot my own horn but here are a few of the ornaments the Pedersoli cheap model has picked up over the last 5 years, mid range out to 1200yd.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoff Mattch 003.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Fit and finish and wood have a lot to do with the price. I have a hunter model and it is straight grained Walnut dull finish on the metal and wood and I got it on sale at Cabela's for $1099 they took another 15% off because I was a veteran and I had $500 in Cabela's points on my CC so ended up with $477 in the rifle. It ain't pretty but it shoots.
    My Godson found one of the fancy ones used at a gun shop and it is a piece of art. Fancy wood in the stock polished Blue barrel, French Gray receiver, high luster finish on the stock. New price was $1800 and he picked it up for 1K which I would have given in a heartbeat. It also shoots very well.
    Not trying to toot my own horn but here are a few of the ornaments the Pedersoli cheap model has picked up over the last 5 years, mid range out to 1200yd.

Bob
    My "cheap" Cabela's Pedersoli Sharps shot every bit as well as my Cherry's very high end (over 2k) Pedersoli Sharps. I believe the barrels are the same and both had good triggers. The expensive one had AAA French Walnut, grey receiver, and better sights. It was a nice piece of eye candy but functionally the same as the cheaper one. What will make or break you on any of these guns is the sights you put on them. You simply can't shoot well with the cheaper sights. You really do have to spend the money on good sights to get the most accuracy. Cheap ones are very difficult to level and have a lot of back lash and coarse adjustments. I ended up spending over seven hunred on a set of MVA sights for the gun. If you're not sure what to do, buy the cheaper gun to start and put the money into the sights.

Boolit Master
    The wood on the stocks of the Sharps shipped in the 1870's was usually straight grained and not pretty. Those old Sharps killed Buffalo and won matches. Fancy wood today looks nice but it is less authentic to Sharps shipped when the frontier was wild.

Personally I upgraded the wood when I ordered my Sharps from Shiloh and it looks nice. Mostly my decision was due to urging from the riflemen in my family rather than my own preference. I certainly added many other upgrades when I ordered mine.

My Shiloh shoots great and I'm really happy with it. In retrospect my only advice would be to get one right away and get shooting while your waiting for the exact one you want.

I plan on getting one soon...Dixie has one that fits my bill to start with. Sights are another story. I can see where you can lay out as much for a high quality sight as you can for a rifle..I had figured a budget of a couple grand for rifle and sights. I might be light on that. But I am looking at making this my main shooting for a long time so the investment is worth it to me...and quality sights can be remounted on a higher grade rifle if I ever feel the need to go fancy. I know in shot guns you can by a Beretta over and under for a couple grand or 10 grand and internally both are identical, it all comes down the the wood and engraving...I don't thing spending 10K will make you a better trap shooter than the 2k gun will...it will just feed the ego a little better and there is nothing wrong with that. Thanks for the advice...all very good

In Remembrance
    Many years ago, when Dixie was about to import their Sharps rifles, they had a special price of $800.00 if you pre-paid. They actually didn't have any rifles yet. They were offered in 45-70 and 40-65; I ordered a 40-65. IIRC, that was in Sept/Oct. and the 45-70s arrived around March the following year. I waited a year almost to the day before my rifle was delivered. That was one fine shooting rifle. I traded it off several years ago (regretfully!) as I had 3 different 40-65 rifles at the time. Sigh!!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

You know I am always trading or selling guns to buy others...but in the end I always miss one of those I traded off. But I always enjoy the ones I trade for to...Life of a gun guy....lol

I have a number of Pedersoli Sharps in 40/65, 45/70, 45/90, 50/70 and 50/90. Never been able to fault any of them

The 50/70 (now discontinued model) is an awesome shooter!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Bad A** Wallace is the Pedersoli man. He's the guy you want to talk to about Pedersoli....a wealth of info!

Banned

for the most part, the pedersoli sights are nothing to write home about, definitely not their vernier rear. after market sights are the way to go as good/great sights are extremely important. i outfit my rifles with lee shaver super grades for under $500 for the rear vernier micrometer soule w/hadley eye cup, and the front spirit globe aperture. without the hadley and adjustable rear sight foot the set is a bit over $300.

Sent you and email..thanks for your input...

Boolit Master

This is my old Pedersoli Sharps Creedmore. It was a 45-70, but I didn't like the thin round barrel which I felt was detrimental to accuracy, so I had it re-barreled with a heavier half round barrel chambered in 40-65 (because I also had a Shilo 45-70 and didn't need two of the same caliber). I really liked the Pedersoli Sharps, but the Pedersoli Soule sight that came with it was **** - an MVA found its way onto the rifle in pretty short order.
    I ended up selling both to pick up a buddies CPA with 4 barrels...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	153559253.mnuV8vsm.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	200861

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast