RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deathmatch for Bull Goose Looney at Raton

Boolit Master

Thumbs up yesir

Always enjoy looking at photos. Gotta love the highwalls with the half round barrel- something just classy about that set up. To me the half round looks a little out of place on some other models but on the 1885.... excellent.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Or a Tabasco drinking contest!
    And to think we got spanked for our "unpleasantries" on the RPM thread! We didn't hold a candle to these boys!

Larry Gibson

That is about as good as I can get it Gussy. I'm not much of a photographer, no.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

It's just not right to talk bad about a man's dog. Mine has enough sense to wear hearing protection.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master

I'm assuming you did some welding. How did that cast lever weld and what did you use? I've been thinking about just bending that original curl out and flat against the pistol grip with maybe just a tiny curl at the bottom for ease of opening.

I have one of those 1 of 350 or so 45-90's and have been a little reluctant to mess with it. Something about it being worth something to my grandkids when it's it the collector catagory. Right now it's in the shooter catagory as long as I have it!! I did check on the cost of a new lever to work on, $75.00 or so I think it was.

Also, nice wood!!!! My 40-65 is like that too.

Used a MIG welder with solid wire. I did not use the flux core wire because it splattered all to hell and gone. Had no problem with welds. It took a little grinding and polishing with a Dremel tool to make all the seams run together and disappear. I also lightly bead blasted it before putting it in the blueing tank just to make sure there were no lines that could be seen on the finished product. I should not have worried because it came out fine and would have even without the bead blasting.

I think your idea of bending the lever flat would work very nicely. A little curl at the very end would make it fairly easy to work the lever. Or, if you wanted to be VERY KOOL, instead of the curl, you could weld an extension on it and run it just below the pistol grip and terminate it with a ball like the Martini lever. If I had thought of that, I would have done it. By golly, you don't see THAT every day on an 1885.

Hey Mumble, since both of you are wearing hearing protection, which one is you and which one is the dog?
    Last edited by Black Prince; 08-06-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Bullshop, thanks for the tips, I was going to try Mulwex AR2205 in the 458WM. Off the top of my head (according to someone a few pages back there should be a saddle up there) I think that AR2205 is sold by Hogden as 4227, but I am not sure. We don't have a large selection of powders in Oz at the moment, and being out in the boonies, I am limited in what I can get any gunshops to order in. I don't have a hardness tester, but the mix I have on hand that I want to try is 50/50 Pb to WW.

Black Prince, the timber on that rifle is nice, but the tiger stripping just in front of the reciever is hipnotizing. Looking at the rest of the rifle makes me wish that my Spagetti Hiwall had a pistol grip. My rifle shoots fine (heaps better than me), but they just look so much better with a proper pistol grip. I am thinking of making a wooden wedge to go on the wrist so that it at least feels like a pistol grip.

Mumblypeg, I never really looked at your avatar until just now when I read Black Prince's remarks. That is a great photo. I will have to show it to my missus. Both my wife and I are dog lovers, but she goes nuts over photos like that. I am feeling promted now to get her to take a photo of my two dogs with me so I can have a cool avatar like everyone else.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

I agree Southern Son. Mumblypeg, post that photo in a BIGGER size here so we can see that good looking dog. Both of them. Them ain't no rat dogs boys. Them is REAL dogeux's!!!!

In Remembrance
    Black Prince,
    Your Hiwall lever is what Pedersoli should have used on their new Hiwalls. Those who have commented on it have complained that it 'looks wrong' with a single trigger...and I guess I have to agree.
    http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/defa...Id=300&lang=en

I suppose they will change it with little delay, and I would advise them (if I had any pull) to get with you for a proper configuration.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

You are correct

I looked at purchasing one of those and did not because of exactly what you say CM. I thought they were going to bring out double set triggers later, but when I called and asked when that was scheduled to be in dealers hands, they say that is not planned at all. I can't for the life of me figure why it would be designed the way it is if they were not planning on a double set trigger because to my eyes. it is unbalanced and fugly on an otherwise well done rifle. To each his own, but it's not my own, and until they change it, they can keep it.

Truer words never before spoken!

Don

"seem to have a real hard time dealing with someone that doesn't run in their clique knowing anything."

You got that right brother!!

Boolit Buddy
    Might as well get the facts straight. Brent and I had our little shoot INSIDE Steve Garbe's Quart Of Blood match on July 27th, the Sunday before the BPCR Silhouette matches started.

We shot side by side with silhouette legal rifles having iron sights. We each had to shoot inside the match's 3 minute time limit for each round.

IT WAS NOT 10 ROUNDS OFFHAND. Garbe's match consisted of five shots from bench rest on each of four Schuetzen targets at 200 yards and measured by "string." That means that each shot was measured by string from the center of the target to the center of each bullet hole and then all those 20 string measurements were added for score.

During the additional three minute "cleaning period" after each score shot Brent and I visited and I for one enjoyed getting to know him a little. For what its worth, during the week we also wished each other "luck" before the silhouette matches started. One thing we both agreed on during the Quart Of Blood match was that it was BORING. I suggested to Garbe that they change its name to the Watching Paint Dry Match.

And also for what's its worth, I like all dogs except those that try to bite me. We have six around this place now. They range from 11 pounds to 110 pounds

My best to all of you.
    Mike Venturino

Boolit Master
    What Mike doesn't include is that he won easily. I never even had to look for the targets to be scored.

And yep, that is one BORING match. It is more like a nap. At 8 am in the morning, I didn't need it. But god it was boring! That is a total of 6 minutes per shot! Call it The Old Geezers' Nap Match...

6 dogs? We have only 3, with one "on order" so to speak. I hope you bring one of your's next time.

Brent

Boolit Buddy
    Brent: I'd love to bring my big collie with me next time. He goes to all the Montana shoots with me. Maybe if gas prices drop by next year I can come with him instead of three of us crowding together in one rig to come to Raton.

Six dogs may be explained by the fact that my wife works part time at the local animal shelter and does all their photography. Five of the six came thataway.

I'm still trying to get brass cleaned up after last week.

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to these boards Mike.

Lots of knowledge, experience, practice and opinion to get ones teeth into here.

Learn and share is the name of the game.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Thanks fellas, for the update and the civil way you described it here. It is an example of the way we sholud all conduct ourselves and a tribute to both of you.

Boolit Master
    Mike I'm on my last batch of brass in the ultrasound. Should be done tonight.

I was hoping your collie would be there because the photo you posted of him once is darn handsome. Sure were a lot of pocket puppies at the matches though. I was surprised that. Maybe T would let me take off with Ande next year.

BTW, there is a Vickers watercooled on display here in Story City. It's not for sale though.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike & Brent, it's great to see you both posting here. Hope you both continue to share your vast experience in the various forums here on cast boolits.

Looking forward to reading and learning from you in the future.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Brent: After leaving him behind for over a week he has stuck to me like glue since I got back. He's the easiest dog to travel with I've ever had - never once barked in a motel room.

Why don't you just come on out to Montana and shoot with us in one of our summer matches like the Missoula Regional or State Championship. The Missoula silhouette range is about the nicest I've ever seen and the Butte range may be even harder than Raton.

cbrick, Black Prince and dromia: Thanks for the welcomes.

MLV

Boolit Master
    Mike, it all depends on time. I need to go back out to Wyoming again to chase pack rats, but next summer I am supposed to be in Alaska and Argentina in addition to any place I want to shoot.

The best dog I ever had went to 4 different universities with me - every day.

Brent

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast