MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Possibles/shooting bag pattern needed

USMC 77, USRA 79

Possibles/shooting bag pattern needed

Morning all...

Not sure if this is he right place to post, Mod's feel free to move if needed.

I am looking for a pattern for a BP shooting bag.. I am looking for something that has spots for stuff... like this one has.
    https://s19.postimg.org/8xwdumjmb/IMG_3857.jpg
    https://s19.postimg.org/nv4uvmwur/IMG_3858.jpg

Anybody have a pattern or something to help?

Thanks so much

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any patterns but an easy 4 hole punch for leather is an old dinner fork. Hammer it out flat and sharpen the tines, been using one for years for leather work with thin nylon string for the stitching. Just don't make it out of the wife's good flatware

Boolit Grand Master

I sew all mine with thread and usually use a double bag pattern. I make my patterns from paper bags using old books for idea's. Straps are either leather with pockets for starter and measure and a pocket on the flap. the knife sheath is on the back of the bag. the pattern is easy to do the sewing is a pain. I use cheap blacksmith sides for leather and trim with felt. PM me and I will try and take a picture for you of a bag that I have carried for the last 40 years.

Here's one of many patterns, although I make my bags with the back wall and the flap as one long piece of leather.

It's easy enough to sew pockets into the front/rear bag walls prior to sewing the bag together.

Here's the 1st bag I made (the bags are sewn inside-out, then reversed when the sewing's finished - which hides raw edges):

Last edited by pietro; 07-26-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Patterns are easy to make. I usually make mine out of file folders or poster board for whatever I'm making - bags, holsters, etc. All dependsonhow machined how hard you want to work to make one as far as the design goes. If you are a hater and hunt in a variety of climates/weather, then make you shoulder strap adjustable so you can adjust the hang of the bag according to the clothing you are wearing. I usually sew mine up with a gusset - narrow at the top and widening to the bottom. A variety of leathers can be used - deer, elk, cow, etc. - vegetable tanned is the best for cow hide as opposed to chrome tanned. I usually use 8 - 10 stitches to the inch - sometimes 12 depending on the weight of the leather and what I'm making. Use an awl to make you holes and saddle stitch it for a secure seam. Artificial sinew or waxed linen thread.

Pouches can be "lined" if desired - I've used wool, pillow ticking, fustian, etc.

The problem a lot of folks run in to is that they feel the need to carry everything but the kitchen sink in their hunting pouch. Carry the basics - ball bag, spare flint or caps, short starter, patches or patching strips and a patch knife can easily be attached to the strap or sewn to the back of the pouch (my preference since my favorite knife is an antler handle with about a 5 inch blade. If I were carrying a flintlock - then I would have my combination brass knapping hammer/screwdrive - if percussion - then possibly a nipple wrench and a nipple pick tucked away. A spare jag and worm can be tucked in with the nipple wrench, etc. in a small leather bag. When I was hunting, I would usually carry a "day horn" - i.e. a smaller horn that held perhaps a 1/3 pound of powder.

When shooting on the line, all a person needs is the basics and that doesn't require a huge bag. A good alternative for carrying additional "stuff" is a canvas haversack. I use a black tarred Civil War haversack quite often to carry "extras" whether i'm going to be shooting C & B, rifle or fowler at the range. They are reasonably priced and can be found on fleabay or from some of the "sutler" sites.

If you have access to the Buckskinning books - I can't remember which volume but one of them has an excellent article of constructing pouches and gives a variety of designs as well as showing originals. Figure out what you want to carry in it and then design the bag for what you want to carry. If you have a Tandy Leather anywhere nearby, go there and see what they have in leather - they often have shoulders, etc. of pre-dyed soft leathers that would be suitable for making a shooting/hunting pouch or you can buy it off of their site. There should be videos out there on the net that you can see how saddle stitching is done (you need two needles - not hard to do at all). Most of what you need, artificial sinew, needles, awls, etc. can be purchased from a supplier like Tandy or take a look on the auction sites.

Good luck to you - don't let it overwhelm you - just dive in and give it a try. For what you want to do, a very minimum of equipment is needed - you can make your own awls, punches, etc..

Boolit Master
    CrazyCrow has finished bags, kits and patterns, as well as high end bags!! The one for $35 is great, I rubbed/0iled on, used it for 12 years for NMLRA woodswalk, as well as hunting!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Just about any design you come up with can be made kind of easily. Do a pattern with stiff cardboard, work out any issues and stick it together. As stated above, the sewing can be a pain. I set my seams together and "tack 'em" with a little epoxy. Clamp what I can and when dry use my drill press to drill both (all) those to be stitched together. Drilling the leather allows me to run a blunt needle with fake sinew or waxed cord for the sewing. Tandy makes a gizmo that acts like an old spur. You roll it along the line to be sewn and it dents the leather so you can come back and drill out your stitch line with evenly spaced holes. With just a little practice, you can make some really nice stuff. All the better because you designed it, & you made it. Good luck.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Actually, I have quite a few sets of spurs, and the drill press is a great idea.... so is the sharpened fork... one could use that to line things up.. thought about using moose leather as it is tuff stuff, and Alaskan..

Thanks for the responses all... lots of cool ideas.. I have always been afraid of using leather here in a rain forest, but I am tired of carrying stuff around in my pockets all the time... I can't really carry the kitchen sink in there either... lol.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Actually, I have quite a few sets of spurs, and the drill press is a great idea.... so is the sharpened fork... one could use that to line things up.. thought about using moose leather as it is tuff stuff, and Alaskan..

Thanks for the responses all... lots of cool ideas.. I have always been afraid of using leather here in a rain forest, but I am tired of carrying stuff around in my pockets all the time... I can't really carry the kitchen sink in there either... lol.

The moisture is a definite consideration. You may want to consider making one from linen, pillow ticking, or wool. All are correct for early shooting bags. Not to mention the materials tend to be cheaper, and will probably last longer in your conditions.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Waxed heavy canvas works pretty good in damp weather
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post

I have always been afraid of using leather here in a rain forest, but I am tired of carrying stuff around in my pockets all the time....

This one's made from canvas duck, with a weatherized lining:

Another option for a water-resistant bag would be to grab a woman's purse made from the hide of the wild Naugha (aka: Naugahide ), from a 2nd hand or Salvation Army store, and adapt it for shooting/hunting.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

USMC 77, USRA 79

Actually, I don't know how stiff canvas is.. I was considering a nylon bag made out of stiff nylon, similar to my chest holster. The bag needs to be easy to get in and out of and not bunch down when opened. But I do want to make a moose hide one as well, heavily oiled and stored on the coat rack near to woodstove to maintain dry.. I have a couple leather slings that I have done this with over the years. But for the most part, I make Paracord slings these days. But I love leather stuff.

Leatherworker.net i believe (when I searched for possible bag patters) came up, A fellow posted full sized patterns which I was able to trace off the computer screen. The only piece missing was the gusset which I didn't realize at the time. It is a beaver tail flap style. I improvised a little on it but it came out very nice for my first bag.

Boolit Buddy
    GFred Asbell sells a wool haversack that I use for traditional archery stuff for hunting and it makes a good one for muzzleloading. I think his website is asbellwool...............Curdog