Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Came home to a little basement flood

we paid the extra charge for a late night visit when our AC went out
    yea, did my AC repair this morning, new run cap - 15 yrs on the old one isn't bad. Granger wants 2x the Amazon price but $50 fix is OK with me. Unfortunately, it was 100 + yesterday and 2 GKs came to visit. Woke them this morning, they were under blankets! Tough little buggers. Real pain (sore back) was carrying the freon jug from the garage to the other side of the house. Be safe and get a spare cap for yours - AC usually quits when the store is closed and EM calls aren't cheap.
    Yes, the movie 'money pit' with Chevy Chase was pretty correct.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I know it's different in the South. But AC isn't a necessity here. Heat in the winter absolutely is. I hated late night no AC calls. Window units are cheap and everyone should have them for your bedroom at a minimum. If you have make sure you have units for their rooms as well. W/ them costing less than $100 per unit it's cheap insurance. I'm beyond glad that I no longer deal w/ residential on call. People expected way to much and always complained about the price.

Boolit Master
    I'll take a condensate or sump failure over this any day. Had 2ft of sewage in my basement in 2014.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1830.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	200546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1831.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	200547 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1836.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	200548

A gallon!

Try 18" deep in the whole basement because the power went out in the middle of a downpour.

2 years later I was still cutting out bad sheet rock. Good news is all the electrical was above that, way above it. Mostly the real stuff we wanted to not get damaged was in rubbermaid tubs and was all fine. A few cardboard boxes of junk to throw away.

You got a very light easy first lesson.

Boolit Master
    Believe me I understand, with all the rain this last weekend in NY I woke up to this, I have owned my home for 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Remodeling, once you start you never finish...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    I'll take a condensate or sump failure over this any day. Had 2ft of sewage in my basement in 2014.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1830.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	200546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1831.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	200547 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1836.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	200548
    Had the same thing Dec 2014. I have pictures that look just like yours. $30,000 later I have a re-finished basement and truck loads of less stuff I learned didn't matter. Before the first piece of sheet rock went in, I put a back flow valve in to prevent it in the future. A few gallons of your own mess is nothing compared to thousands of gallons of city sewer.

Boolit Grand Master

That kind of disaster is more common than you might think. Back flow valves should be required with city sewer. The added cost is trivial considering what it can protect from.
    When my both homes were built it was common to have basement floor drains empty into the sanitary sewer which can be a recipe for disaster. A large pill bottle that (a child played with) got into an uncovered floor drain and there was over 5'' of muddy water in what had always been a dry basement.
    It was caused by a 100-year record storm.
    Guess what happened a week later. This time, in the other house, a floor drain allowed 4" of sewer to back up from a clogged city sewer. There were water proof tote boxes floating everywhere, but no loss.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I know it's different in the South. But AC isn't a necessity here. Heat in the winter absolutely is. I hated late night no AC calls. Window units are cheap and everyone should have them for your bedroom at a minimum. If you have make sure you have units for their rooms as well. W/ them costing less than $100 per unit it's cheap insurance. I'm beyond glad that I no longer deal w/ residential on call. People expected way to much and always complained about the price.
    What's this "heat" you talk about? I could do without that entirely . Sad thing about window units is the HOA won't allow them if you can see them from the street. I have a spare running in the living room to help during the hottest months but 30f under ambient is still hot some days. Don't know how yall do it but I can't sleep if I'm sweating. My wife and kiddo disappeared the night of the repairs to the hotel.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Came home to a little basement flood

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Sad thing about window units is the HOA won't allow them if you can see them from the street.
    This is why I hate HOAs and will never live where I'm subject to their rule. That's one of the stupidest rules I've heard of. Especially w/ the weather being what is where you live. If my AC went out and I had to put a window unit in temporarily I would do so regardless of what the HOA "allows".

The climate here is semitropical even though I'm pretty far north. High 90s w/ 90%+ humidity is the norm from July through early September. I grew up w/out AC. It was uncomfortable at times. But it's not the end of the world. Don't have central in my house even though HVAC is my trade. Age of house is one reason why. But it's also not a necessity.

Moderator Emeritus

Get one of the portable units that ducts heat to a small window insert. Doesn't stick outside at all. Makes a nice emergency A/C that can be used in any room with a window.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12