RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: An 1888 For Old Eyes

An 1888 For Old Eyes

My 1888 was rebarreled by Richard Hoch with one of his excellent 12" twist cast barrels (0.325" groove diameter) and supplied with a mold to match.
    Since then in 1982 my eyes have changed somewhat and I'm starting to seriously consider a scope.
    Sooo, maybe a short six power Leatherwood Malcolm? There just isn't much to choose from these days.
    Any thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

I have the mvas and like them easier to install as posa mounts are used no mill work needed. Also picked up the DZ scope with my DZ hepburn when I purchased it. It is 8 X I believe and a very good looking unit. Uses extended clickless unertal rings. Again unertal style mounts drill and tap only, needed. The MVA is a vernieer style rear mount both have wind-age in the front mounts.

I have 3 mvas all full length 2 are standard crosshairs and 1 is the 4-6min circle reticle also mill dots are available

Boolit Master
    Is that a Commission 88 ? I would think the barrel shroud is pretty thin to hold the base screws, unless you used silver solder and screws.

Also you would need to bend the bolt, or find a carbine bolt.

Yes indeed, an '88 Commission rifle.
    About the shroud, yeah, I've been thinking about that and what the mounts could look like.

Boolit Master
    You got me thinking about how to install bases on that thin shroud, maybe you could drill and tap a section of thicker walled pipe, and attach a sectioned piece on top of the shroud. Solder, or maybe even Locktite or Acraglass, that could be removed with heat. It might not hold with full charges, but might work with moderate cast loads.

Boolit Grand Master

If there is enough room in and under the shroud but the holes up from underneath with the threads in the base. there are shallow head cap screws and flat heads depending on shrouds thickness

Hi Good Cheer, any progress on the scope for your 1888?

I find myself moving away from a scope to open sights. I find that some sight designs are just too poor for my eyes while others are outright great. I'm lucky though, I still have good eyes.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Not yet. Been trying to get ready for winter and the revised garden plots ready for spring.