WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: New point form die

New point form die

I made a new point form die and it turned out pretty good. The question is has any one re shaped bullets from a different point form die. This is a 30 cal. I made a lot of bullets with my old die and would like to re shape them to the new one. I haven't tried it yet, don't want to get a stuck bullet. Accuracy with new die is excellent. 5/8 inch 6 shot group at 50 yards with my 300 blackout. For me that's really good. I'm using 5.7 mmx28 brass for jackets. I'm sure every one is like me you have a lot of bullets and then you make new ones that are better and loose interest in the old ones. Has any one here tried it?
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master

Sounds good, what type, round nose?

I often reform round nose to wad cutter for .44. If using anything other then dead soft be careful how much pressure you use. I know from experience.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I've taken 30 Carbine bullets (110gr FMJ) and bumped them up to 0.311" in my CH4D swage die set (point form). I have found that lead can be deformed into a different shape a lot easier than it can be extruded out the bleed hole of a core swage die. As long as you're just putting a different nose on it, you should be fine. If it were me and if I was worried at all, I'd bump it a little, then eject and inspect. Do that over and over. As long as it keeps ejecting fine, then there's nothing to fear. Post pictures of the end result!

You're definitely asking for trouble, speaking from experience. If you press a bullet into the new die that is the same size or possibly even slightly bigger than the inside diameter of the new point die, the chances it'll get stuck hard in the die are high. If you're dead set on doing this, my advice would be to make a push through sizing die at say .307 (smaller than the new die) and size them all down before putting them in the new die.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Thanks for the responses. I think the sizing smaller then bumping them back up would be the way to go. It takes so long to make a point forming die and that's if you get it right the first time. Maybe I will just use the old bullets for when I need a good nitro fix. They do shoot good but the now ones get better groups.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master

Since no one has asked yet, let's see the new champion.

Ditto on Prospector's advice! Better size them slightly under the new PF die first.