WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Fast, dumb simple question reloading .45 Schofield??

Fast, dumb simple question reloading .45 Schofield??

Ladies and Gents,

I may not have found the perfect search to find references regarding reloading the .45 Schofield.. it's amazing though how many times ".45" showed up!!

Curious on reloading dies. Will the .45 Long Colt adjust far enough to load these or is it going to be specific dies??

Thanks

(Told ya it was dumb/simple )

Boolit Buddy

I haven't tried this but with the Schofield being shorter my concerns would be the 45 Colt dies may not have enough adjustment to seat the bullet deep enough into the Schofield cartridge. Having enough adjustment for crimping is also a concern. I see that the Schofield and the Colt have the same outer dimensions on the brass and bullet do an extended seating plug should allow ample travel to take care of the seating problem, you'll have to just try and see if you can get a crimp.
    Jeff

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I knocked the carbide ring out of a Lee 45 Colt Carbide Crimp die, it works well for crimping both 45's; with out resizing after seating. End of problem....

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    What brand of dies? Some brands do and some don't. Your best get is to look at the die sets offered by the various makers and that should tell you if they will do the shorter Schofield brass or not. My main set of dies that I load45 Colt with is a hodge podge of different die brands. I have a set of the RCBS Cowboy dies and IIRC, they are listed as doing both cartridges.

The normal FL sizing die should work just fine regardless of if it is steel or carbide. The expander die and the seating die (which is usually also a crimp die) will be iffy depending on the length of the expander stem and seating stem and the location of the crimp in the die. I like to use a roll crimp but a 45 ACP taper crimp will work in most cases for putting a taper crimp on them.

Go up to the top and hit on the icon for Titan Reloading - they sell Lee and other brands. Lee lists the 45 Colt and the 45 Schofield as separate die sets. Not a whole lot different than trying to load 38 Colt Long in a set of 38 special dies. Some might work - others not. On my 38 Colt Short and Long, I use a 9mm taper crimp die. Check RCBS website and see what it says as far as their 45 Colt dies - they may do both since their Cowboy dies do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used a bastardized 45 ACP/ 45 Colt combo, with a 45 colt sizer and expander, and a 45 ACP Seater. My RCBS 45 Colt die was a llittle too long to crimp the Schofield round.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	200473
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I used a bastardized 45 ACP/ 45 Colt combo, with a 45 colt sizer and expander, and a 45 ACP Seater. My RCBS 45 Colt die was a llittle too long to crimp the Schofield round.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	200473
    Exactly what I do.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

ANick57,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your question seems like a good one.
    I'm glad you got some answers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The used Lyman dies I bought off Ebay work for both, however the 45 Colt RCBS shellholder did not work with the Schofield rounds. The Schofield rounds have a larger diameter rim. I had to file down the rim in order to get them to work. The Hornady LNL shellplate seems to work with either round so that might depend on the individual item.

The adjustment limitations were something I was expecting to vary by maker, or for that matter product iterations. It wasn't a great concern as I was just mildly on the fence about fiddling with sharing the dies anyway. I'll just get a dedicated set for the Schofields and leave them parked on the turret plate. Beats the buggers out of resetting everything!! Good observation on the shellholder difference though. Not totally unexpected after finding the thread regarding the larger Schofield rim impinging on the star of some revolvers. I'm thinking my Uberti Schofields should like the Schofield rims a little better than they do the .45 Colt.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Vendor Sponsor

I got a Lee 45 Schofield 3 die set from a forum member here for $20. There is currently a used set on ebay in good condition for $20 plus shipping. IIRC, Lee ships the 45 Schofield set with a 45 Colt sizing die.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Ran into the same issue wanting a 375 Whelen seater without buyer a very expensive custom die.
    Found a stray 375 H&H seater, took it to the grinder, and 10 minutes later had a "home /custom" die that does just fine.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I can't even get a proper crimp in the .45 Colt with RCBS dies with the Dillon 550B because the Dillon shell plate is too thick. I use RCBS Schofield dies to crimp my Schofield and Long Colt cases.

Boolit Grand Master

With the light loads used in the 45 Schofield I mostly don't crimp per say. Just use the 45 ACP seater to taper crimp slightly. A crimp isn't needed with the ACP and isn't with the Schofield......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee .45acp dies to load .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, and .45acp. The .45colt and schofield require the #11 shellholder. I use the Schofield brass in my .45Colt M625 Mountain Gun as the ejected brass clears the cylinders, like the .44 Spl does from the M69.
    Neck tension is good with the .452" bullets. Might be too tight if you NEED .454" bullets.