Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358 mgp

358 mgp

For those who shoot cast bullets in the AR, there is a recently developed cartridge that I'm having success with. It's the 6.8 SPC opened to 35 caliber. Very nice development.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7904.jpg   IMG_7903.jpg  

Interesting round.

Do you have any velocities recorded, yet?

I'm such an easy mark for .35s.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Any feeding issues from standard mags? I have an extra lower that I need to do something with. This seems right up my alley.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No, not yet, as I just now put this together. If you visit "MGPCUSTOMS.COM", you can read up on bullet weights and velocities. Also enter 358 MGP in reloads nest and there's more info from users. I just fire formed with 1680 as per Mike Pilkington's data and couldn't believe the performance and accuracy from just fire forming. 1" groups of 7 rounds at 100m. Today I got a 1.5" group of 5 rounds with the Lyman 358315 and 22gr of IMR 4227. I shoot cast in all my guns for silhouette shooting so am not looking for max, just power to knock over steel. This load should knock over rams at 200m. I'll see next week. If you go on FB, search "Bang and Clang Alaska" and you can see what I'm talking about

Mike modifies 6.8 spc mags for use and I don't know how standard mags would work

Looks like skinny and short 35 Rem . ,Pretty impressive speeds from a little case ! What kind of operating pressures that running at ? 50-55k ?
    Last edited by RU shooter; 07-26-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

This is almost identical to a 35 Rem. I was so close to putting one of these together. I would if I lived in a different state. The bullet selection is huge too.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I have one and really enjoy shooting it. Not much recoil, 35 Rem velocity and very accurate. I am using the RCBS 200 gr and the Accurate mold in 35-235gr loads with a grin on my face. If I changed anything, I would try a little lighter barrel configuration for easier carry but that might have a negative result in the accuracy dept. I have that 360-280 mold also, might have to give that a try as it does look good in the photo.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

How can this cartridge equal the .35 Rem? By hype and loading to very high pressures? It can't. Now we load the .35 Rem hot and claim it to be equal to the .358 Win?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fun cartridge to shoot in an AR-15 with cast bullets. Efficient, extremely accurate, and did I mention, it's FUN- just what shooting is all about

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    How can this cartridge equal the .35 Rem? By hype and loading to very high pressures? It can't. Now we load the .35 Rem hot and claim it to be equal to the .358 Win?

If you want 358 Win in an AR15 then you want the 358 Yeti. Everyone knows that

To bad this doesn't feed from standard mags. There are so many wildcats it's ridiculous. But as soon as mags have to be modified I'm not interested. I'm waiting for a viable 35cal wildcat to come along.

The Yeti is a nice cartridge, and it is amazing the number of wildcats created to fit the AR15 package. Choices choices, it's great to have so many options for what ever reason a person wants

What I'm doing with the 358 MGP. Lyman 358315 204gr with 22gr of I4227 at 1668fps for 1258 ft/lbs. Lyman 358318 245gr with 22gr of I4198 at 1562 fps for 1325 ft/lbs. NOE 360-280 280gr with 19.5gr of I4198 at 1337 fps for 1176 ft/lbs. All burn clean and cycle the bolt and very accurate and do what I want-knock steel silhouettes over out to 200m

I'm sure it is a lot of fun and don't think I'm trashing your cartridge. It's just simply not a .35 Rem equivalent any more than a ,300 blackout is a 30-30 equivalent.
    Case volume matters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm sure it is a lot of fun and don't think I'm trashing your cartridge. It's just simply not a .35 Rem equivalent any more than a ,300 blackout is a 30-30 equivalent.
    Case volume matters.

In this case (pun intended) it just might be. It is a shortened 30 remington case (6.8 is a modified 30 rem, 0.422 base.). The 35 rem runs at 34k psi. The 6.8 runs at 55k psi, and thus the 35mgp can also. Case volume does matter but so does the pressure of the cartridge. A 62% increase in pressure has got to make up for quite a bit of case volume.

And we're not talking about hotrodding into dangerous pressure here, just run of the mill 55k psi that just about all modern cartridges operate at.

Case volumes might not be as different as you'd think. The 35mgp has a very short neck in comparison to the longer neck of the 35 rem.

Anyone have water capacity data for the two cases?
    Last edited by BK7saum; 09-10-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Correction

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    If you want 358 Win in an AR15 then you want the 358 Yeti. Everyone knows that

To bad this doesn't feed from standard mags. There are so many wildcats it's ridiculous. But as soon as mags have to be modified I'm not interested. I'm waiting for a viable 35cal wildcat to come along.
    Agree with that. If the cartridge will not run with standard AR magazines my interest is low. But for many others, if they can achieve their needs by simply altering magazines it certainly is viable.

I know it is not rocket surgery to mark magazines but Murphy and I seem to be the best of friends. If I can possibly screw it up...I will.

Still, a neat cartridge though. Nice for cast bullets and should be a good one for deer at medium ranges.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

358 mgp

This one would not be as bad since 6.8 already has its own mags. To bad you have to modify the mags. You're also dealing w/ a proprietary cartridge so costs go up dramatically. That's what makes conversion on 5.56 and 7.62 cartridges so appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the performance of this particular cartridge. It doesn't need a special bolt like the Yeti. Which at this point isn't being made as far as I know. So w/ a simple case conversion and mag modification you have a nice 35 caliber round for the AR15.

I should have said they are not equal if loaded to the same pressure. Bump the .35 Rem up to 55 k and see what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    In this case (pun intended) it just might be. It is a shortened 35 remington case (6.8 is a modified 30 rem, 35 rem, etc.).
    The .35R is a different and larger diameter case than the .30R and the rest of that family of old Remington cartridges.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    The .35R is a different and larger diameter case than the .30R and the rest of that family of old Remington cartridges.
    Absolutely correct. I mistakenly pulled 30 rem up when I was looking at 35 remington. 0.422vs o.460 base diameter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast