Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pan lubing newbie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Attaboy ... You just got to keep on keeping on !

Glad you are better .

I'm sort of on the clumsy side ... my first attempt at Pan Lubing was a big disaster ...got me spilled lube on the kitchen floor , the stove , kitchen counter top , my shirt , jeans and the dog ... After cleaning up all the spilled lube I bought a Lyman 450 lube sizer (1972) and that thing was the best item I've ever spent money on .
    With the 450 it's a lubed and sized bullet with every cycle of the handle and no more spilled boolit lube .

Good luck , be careful and the boolit cutter / remover should make the job easier ... I never got that far !
    Gary
    LOL...But, My experience, more like 1978 or 9, was with the Lee System...pan, punch, and push thru (beat it thru more like it) included some pretty good stick lube... but... I found out how clumsy I could actually be.. Second or third time before I was Mess Free!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Good luck. Post some pics when you can.
    Here you go. Here's the full story:
    Pan Lube: A Detective Story

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5117.jpg  

Banner Sponsor

https://youtu.be/-6VknyUHcFI
    Quick and easy, no mess

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Pan lubing is one of the more frustrating things I have ever done. I usually experienced about a 30% success rate. I gave it up as a bad idea.
    First thought --ya musta wanted it to fail ---seriously!
    pan lubing is 100% reliable , quick and easy
    make a push through cookie cutter
    get a bottle neck case the right calibre , neck expand it oversize, bell the mouth, cut the rear end off, drill a piece of broom handle so the rear end fits in and it makes a T handle . its comfortable to use and greased boolits come poppin out the top every time you push it down,
    The other trick is once you cut em out of the pan the first time just reload new boolits into the holes and heat the whole thing up with a hot air heat gun - only takes a couple minutes compared to messin round with double boilers ona stove. I always melt lube with the heat gun its way heaps quicker than the double boiler but still dont burn the lube (which is main reason for the double boiler ina first place) ..,

this stuff can be simple and quick if we think a bit - but theres a mountain of good advice goin around that gets us slow and difficult ................................

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    get a bottle neck case the right calibre , neck expand it oversize, bell the mouth, cut the rear end off, drill a piece of broom handle so the rear end fits in and it makes a T handle . its comfortable to use and greased boolits come poppin out the top every time you push it down,
    The other trick is once you cut em out of the pan the first time just reload new boolits into the holes and heat the whole thing up with a hot air heat gun - only takes a couple minutes compared to messin round with double boilers ona stove. I always melt lube with the heat gun its way heaps quicker than the double boiler but still dont burn the lube (which is main reason for the double boiler ina first place) ..,

this stuff can be simple and quick if we think a bit - but theres a mountain of good advice goin around that gets us slow and difficult ................................
    Yup...for lack of a "like" button

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post

YEP!!! Did all of that. The RCBS lubri sizer is so much quicker and produces 100% every time.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm kind of ham fisted, so any boolit with a long skinny ogive gets pan lubed. Too many fat noses and banana boolits otherwise.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I’ve used all 3 , used the pan in the kitchen when I started, pc’ed for a while in the shop and a lubrisizer and have come back to using the lubrisizer. I clamp my sizers to the bench in my reloading room, plug in the heater and go. I liked the look of the pc boolits but running the Lyman’s are easier. After pan lube or pc your cast boolits you still have to size them. With a lubrisizer one and done. I used commercial lube when I pan lubed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 474043C0-E10A-42A0-B458-679ED9645996.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-08-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use a lubesizer on all my boolits over .30 caliber, since those are the majority of what I shoot and are less likely to be deformed due to my clumsiness. I've also had very good success running boolits through the Lee sizer and then just dipping in LLA.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    YEP!!! Did all of that. The RCBS lubri sizer is so much quicker and produces 100% every time.
    I seriously doubt you get it done quicker than me, I DO get 100%, plus its 400 bucks I rather spend on something else.

Whatever floats yr boat is fine but dont dis pan lube just cuz ya didnt get it figured out

I think the same about the blokes tell us push the boolits outa the lube cake with ya thumb -- thats nuts ----- to me ----- tried it a couple times just for fun = hopeless!!! -- some serious shooters have that down pat so I'm not gonna argue with em - just says we are doin somethin different in the process (lube recipe likely) - theirs works , mine works , yours works ---lets go make some smoke !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12