WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to get into Black Powder cartridge shooting, Help...lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vikingson57 View Post
    I am sure there are good and bad of all the different makers. I have read a couple of bad write ups on the Shiloh and C. Sharps as well...I think it always comes down to trust and some luck. I have just heard more positives about the Pedersoli's than the Pedretti guns. And Customer service is huge as well. Nice to read that you have had good luck with yours. Thanks for sharing with me.
    A lot depends on how serious a competitor you are. Personally I shoot for fun and the only guy I have to beat is me. If I am improving I'm a happy camper. Every once in a while I get lucky and pick up some hardware, but there is no money in most of these matches just bragging rights. I have been a serious competitor in several different sports and when it wasn't fun anymore I quit. Easier at my age to just enjoy the sport.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    A lot depends on how serious a competitor you are. Personally I shoot for fun and the only guy I have to beat is me. If I am improving I'm a happy camper. Every once in a while I get lucky and pick up some hardware, but there is no money in most of these matches just bragging rights. I have been a serious competitor in several different sports and when it wasn't fun anymore I quit. Easier at my age to just enjoy the sport.

Bob
    Well stated Bob. I'd suggest you start out for fun and see where it goes. You might find you do well with what you start with and if you want to go further you can always sell what you have and move "up". I think you'll find out that just being part of the sport and being around a lot of like minded people is the real reward. I was a top shooter in several sports for many years and I finally decided shooting for fun was, well.....more fun. Good luck to you.

I tend to be very competitive, I used to race off road motorcycles and was pretty successful at it, but as Bob states I am about fun now. I want to be the best I can be at what ever I take up, but I only have to beat my last score..and I agree with NSB that half the fun is just being around others with the same passion and who enjoy the sport too..
    Thanks a lot.
    Charley

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vikingson57 View Post
    I tend to be very competitive, I used to race off road motorcycles and was pretty successful at it, but as Bob states I am about fun now. I want to be the best I can be at what ever I take up, but I only have to beat my last score..and I agree with NSB that half the fun is just being around others with the same passion and who enjoy the sport too..
    Thanks a lot.
    Charley
    BINGO, give the man a cigar. The folks involved in this sport are probably some of the most generous with info ect or to just have a beer with.

Bob

I'll take that cigar and smile..thanks Bob.

Boolit Man
    Take a look at the Browning/Winchester BPCR 1885. It has to be the BPCR model and not one of the other Browning single shots.
    This model came with a decent set of soule sights. They came in 45-70 and 40-65 (rarer 45-90 and 50-90) calibers. They also came from the factory with 30" Badger barrels (kind of the gold standard for BPCR barrels). I have 2, my son has 1 and several friends have them also. They are competitive right out the box. And the best part is that they priced at $1500 to 1800 range. If you buy one and don’t like it, you can always sell it and get your money back out of it. For starters, I recommend the 45-70. Components are easy to come by.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    [QUOTE] If you buy one and don’t like it, you can always sell it and get your money back out of it./QUOTE]

That right there is the most overlooked bit of advice given. Yes you can buy rifles for less, but take a long hard look at what that same rifle sells for on the used market.. If a rifle losses 30% + of it's over the counter price, just taking it out of the store, that's not much of a return on investment..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Here is a complete equipment list used at the NRA black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches this year.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bmwocbyye...veys.xlsx?dl=0

Boolit Master
    Pedersoli barrel making processes

EDG

Boolit Master
    When you have the ability to buy a used gun with confidence you can get a significant price break.
    BPCR rifles take a bit of effort to shoot a significant amount so I would say more than half of the rifles have never been shot more than once or twice.
    I don't mind paying 30% less for a very slightly used rifle because the first time I take it to the range I will probably shoot it more than what the original owner ever did.
    I have 2 Pedersolis and I don't think either was ever fired more than 5 rounds. Both are higher end Pedersolis. One is a Billy Dixon with the oil finished high grade walnut. The other is the long range model. I paid about half of the list prices shown on Cherry's web page. As long as I take care of them I should easily get my money back if I ever sell them.

[QUOTE=Don McDowell;4111493]
    If you buy one and don’t like it, you can always sell it and get your money back out of it./QUOTE]

That right there is the most overlooked bit of advice given. Yes you can buy rifles for less, but take a long hard look at what that same rifle sells for on the used market.. If a rifle losses 30% + of it's over the counter price, just taking it out of the store, that's not much of a return on investment..
    EDG

Boolit Master

My Godson paid $1000 for his high end Pedersoli and it listed for $1800+. When I looked at the breach block I couldn't see any indication that it had ever rubbed up the back of a cartridge case. I think a lot of people buy them for the neat factor and find out that they are heavy and more difficult to load for BP than smokeless and lose interest.
    Pesonally I don't buy a firearm with the idea of what I can get on resale, I buy it to shoot. In many cases I've made money just because I kept a gun long enough for inflation to give me a perceived profit. And some I have lost money on because I lost interest and wanted to move on to something else.

Bob

I always figure that unless I am buying a classic vintage firearm, the ability to make money isn't something I can plan on...The guns are truly only worth what the right buyer is willing to pay for it. I have sold guns for more than they were worth because someone wanted it badly enough to offer that kind of money. I have also lost money on guns, but I enjoyed every shot fired and never looked at it as a loss. I shoot every gun I own...

Thanks Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12