RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Water proof primers?

Water proof primers?

I traded with friend for some .44 brass. I took the lot and cleaned them in a mild citric acid solution. I then dried them in the sun and finished them off in the tumbler.

As I was pulling them from the tumbler, I found ten pieces that were primed.

I set those 10 aside and tried to fire them off. To my surprise, 9 out 10 fired!

I have a new respect for primers!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

As I understand it, the primer itself is waterproof, they put sealer on them to keep the powder dry, same reason they sealed bullets on some military rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

I did exactly the same thing a couple of months back only 5/6 pieces of 223 and all went pop after 2 hours of tumbling in water, Dawn, Turtle Wax wash/wax and Lemishine.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    the question is, why aren't you decapping before cleaning?

Lemi shine and citric acid supposedly creates a very destructive acid on primers that on other forum will apparently eat the primer and make it split into pieces if you deprime said shined primers
    I used to de prime then clean, but I scratched a carbide die and I now at least tumble som to knock any dirt off.

Also, I use a progressive press now and it doesn't make sense to handle multiple times.

The point of the post was to point out the toughness of the primers we use. I assumed they would not have remained functional after a liquid cleaning.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I always clean my brass first also.

Boolit Master
    I deprime with a univ deprime die them clean only clean brass gets close to my dies

I deprime with a Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer, then citric acid wash/rinse, clean primer pockets while damp, roll on a towel on my leg to get stubborn grime off. Then dry, then they are ready to size, prime, charge and set bullet.

It is not a cheap tool at around 60$ but it seems to be tough enough to last.
    Mine lives upstairs so I can deprime while watching TV.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Primers are routinely sealed with a lacquer to prevent liberation of primer dust which could cause a static-induced explosion in the loading machine. This has been standard practice in WW1. WATER does NOT deactivate primers. SOLVENTS such as Stoddard or aliphatic mineral spirits will, most of the time, IF you are patient.

ATF and acetone 50-50 works most of the time...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.