Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got hit last night

Boolit Grand Master

Got hit last night

After shooting and shooting the bull, was headed to restaurant fro dinner, I got rear ended.
    Was stopped for traffic and the guy didn't even slow down.
    Luckily we were all going slow, stop and go.
    Bumper is total lost.
    Haven't crawled under to check for any other damage.
    Now have to wait for their insurance, geico, to get back to me.
    Heard lots of horror stories about geico.
    I'm feeling OK. Little stiff neck, but not bad.
    Just go the truck, now got to fix it.

Banned
    They make vehicles every day. When you get right down to it, - it's just stuff.

A lot of people get really stressed about vehicle damage but my advice is to keep it in perspective. You're not injured, the ball is in the insurance company's court right now but that doesn't mean that's the last say.

Wait for the insurance company to make an estimate and go from there. Chances are good it will only be as stressful as you want to make it.

Sorry about your truck. Dealing with insurance companies is a pain, dealing with body shops can be frustrating but in the end; stuff can be replaced/repaired - people are a little harder to fix and impossible to replace.

Good luck.

Boolit Master

If your truck is fully insured, get it fixed through your insurance company and let them deal with the other insurance company. Once it is settled and your insurance company gets paid from the other company, they will refund your deductible. That is what we have done anyway.

Boolit Master
    Geico is the worst. They force repair shops to hurry due to what they pay and they use used parts to fix everything. Used parts come from vehicles that were totaled out for scrap/salvage, how straight you think those control arms, knuckles, and struts are? I would do anything to not deal with Geico

I'm glad you are fine, that's what's important!
    A few years ago my wife went to the post office, not another car in the parking lot, but she managed to total out her van. She woke me up in tears, just bawling her eyes out! "I did something really stupid! I can't believe how dumb I was, I did something really stupid!"
    At this point the van wasn't even on my radar! She finally told me what happened, I asked if she was alright and after she told me she was, I just laughed! "It's just a stupid car honey, as long as you are fine we'll be alright!"
    It sucked but could have been a lot worse, just a matter of perspective I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Banned
    The insurance company doesn't dictate the shop you use. The insurance company makes an estimate for the repair. They pay YOU the amount it takes to repair the vehicle and return it to the pre-damage condition. If that amount is less than what is needed, you negotiate with the insurance company. A good tactic is to get more than one estimate before the repairs start, particularly if the vehicle is drivable.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 07-24-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sorry you got hit. Good luck with geico, my SIL is having a awful time with them when she got hit.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    In the past year and a half, I've been hit from behind twice while completely stopped in traffic or at a red light. Both times the driver that hit me was texting.
    In the 1st accident, my Achilles tendon on my left leg was torn but it did not show up for a few days, due to the fact that I felt a little banged up and didn't move much. When I walked a few days later was when it showed up fully. It will never completely heal.
    In the 2nd accident, my wife's rotator cuff was torn, which required surgery 9 months later.
    That driver had no insurance, no license, and he took off before the cops arrived. Luckily I have insurance on my policy against uninsured drivers.
    I don't really like lawyers, but I like insurance companies even less, so I finally had to hire a lawyer to deal with the games and **** they were tossing my way.
    Don't sign off on anything yet. Document everything. Don't trust the insurance companies even when they sound like they're your best friend.
    Get the neck checked by a DR just so you have it on record.
    Both times, the damage to the car was minimal, about $500 each time. It doesn't take a high speed collision to cause bodily damage.
    Last edited by Battis; 07-24-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Geico isn't bad. We currently have it and just got some hail damage repaired. My first car was insured by them in the late 60's and my parents cars were insured by them. You want bad? My son was preparing to make a left turn, was stopped, an a guy in a Jeep went by and hit him in the left rear of the truck. My truck. Somehow it was his fault, sayeth the local LEO. Of course people with money generally get the clean end of the stick. I got an estimate from my insurance company, Allstate, an got the truck fixed. A week later I got a letter in the mail saying that Allstate insurance was going to drop me, but I could sign up with Allstate Indemnity for just $1500 a month! First and last claim with those people.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    abunaitoo - IT'S A TRUCK. No one is seriously injured. sawinreneck is totally correct.

Inconvenient ? = you bet.
    The worst problem you'll deal with in life ? = not even close.

Glad you're OK.

Boolit Master
    I'm reminded of a old saying "its a mild heart attack to everyone but the person having it,to them it's a heart attack"

I'm glad your ok and hope your truck gets fixed with no hassles
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Grand Master

It is a hassle to deal with theres no denying that. Talk to the insurance and see whats required, some require it is seen by their adjustor others require 3 estimates. Also at a certain age most companies may require used parts for body parts and some other parts. If you don't like what they offer then you can talk to them or turn it over to a lawyer to handle it for you. In most states you have 2 years to make the claim or do something. Ive had to go this route with a claim against Nation wide on a car accident. Like said it is a hassle and a pain but More important is no serious injuries to deal with. Glad your Okay and will wish you the best. I would get an estimate onmy own so when their adjustor shows up and starts looking a quoting you already have a good idea of cost and parts needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not really worried about the truck.
    It can be fixed.
    It's just all the BS I'll probably have to go through with geico.
    Developed a sharp pain in my left leg. Don't know if it's from the hit.
    If it doesn't go away by tomorrow, I'll try and see the doctor.
    The guy was probably on the phone.
    Hope i don't run into any problems with geico.

Oh I wasn't making light of it at all!
    I came home from a 12hr day years ago, cracked open a beer and was watching the idiot box. The door bell rings and there's a kid standing there telling me my trucks on fire! I call 911 and grab the hose. Cop shows up and we are going like mad to get this put out, it's less than 6 feet from my house! Finally got it out and sent to the shop. Two weeks later I get it back, 4:30am Sunday I'm on my way to work. Turn north on a divided four lane highway and almost immediately have to plow it into the ditch to dodge the drunk driver coming head on at me, in the far right lane!
    It went back to the shop on my dime, again.
    I gave up on worrying about having nice cars or trucks after that. After all I've been through with vehicles, '67 Fairlane 2dr hardtop wasted by grapefruit sized hail, the '85 Chevy Silverado I totaled out in six months, an '87 Suburban, TWO WRECKS within an hour, and my '97 F150 burning up then getting ditched the day after I got back, I gave up!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

From experience contact YOUR insurance company get your truck and yourself fixed. Let your company deal with his insurance.

Wife got hit a couole of years ago. The og insurance tried to low ball us badly. I finally contacted our insurance and we ended up getting way more fro them and all of our deductible back! Make sure you are healthy.. even if it is a year!........

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear this but glad you were not seriously injured. See a doctor, if just to have a record if anything turns serious.

Moderator Emeritus

That depends on your state laws. IN MN they have to use new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Geico is the worst. They force repair shops to hurry due to what they pay and they use used parts to fix everything. Used parts come from vehicles that were totaled out for scrap/salvage, how straight you think those control arms, knuckles, and struts are? I would do anything to not deal with Geico

Boolit Master

We have Farm Bureau insurance on the house and cars. I always check the cost every year with some of those " We can save You hundreds of dollars " come on adds from other companies and they can't seem to even match the rate we get, let alone save us any money at all. We have had three claims in ten years or so. One where the other driver got a ticket, one where I backed into someones car in a parking lot, obviously my fault, and one where both cars got hail damage. All were handled well and without drama or undue stress. I recommend them. Glad you are safe.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    That depends on your state laws. IN MN they have to use new parts.
    New does not mean OEM. Just pointing this out. In some cases I'd rather have a used OEM part, like a bumper. Instead of a new aftermarket part.

Boolit Master

My wife's car was totaled last winter and the driver at fault had Geico. I must say that the process went ok, we were offered fair value for the car, her medical was paid, and we got a rental of our choice. I had to be very direct a couple of times but I would sure rather deal with them again rather than some fly by night company.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast