Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Trapdoors

Trapdoors

Learning a lesson on not bidding after afternoon beer drinking, I bought my first trapdoors in a two for one money bid item at the recent RIA auction.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-rifles#detail

After a fair bit of online reading about these guns I have a couple of questions I would appreciate some help on.

The first gun is an 1873 ser # 195465 that per the online sources, appears fairly correct on parts, stamps and measurements. The bore, unfortunately, is pitted and corroded beyond use. I am wondering about others satisfaction and results when putting a liner in these guns? I am thinking of the 1-22" 3 groove from TOTW? Any reason I would not want to do this?

The second gun is an 1870 with the number 1561 on the barrel only, that likewise seems to have the correct parts and stamps, and a really nice 3-groove bore, but its measurements are off. 48" overall, 28 1/2" muzzle to block hinge pin, bands 12" apart. I am guessing it was converted to a cadet configuration somewhere along the line, but it sure looks like all original construction. I am hoping the someone might have some better information on this gun?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2526.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	200328

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2527.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	200329
    THBailey

"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects"
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Even if the bore looks like a sewer pipe, go out and shoot it a couple hundred rounds. You may be surprised just how well it will shoot. I've seen some pretty miserable bores perform quite well. Pretty is as pretty does.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    After seeing your 50-70 I had to go digging in the safe to find mine. It is nearly identical except my barrel measures 29 -3/4 to the pin, with a ser. no. over 5600. It has been used hard but still in pretty decent shape and actually shoots well after I modified the front sight so it wouldn't shoot a foot to the left. Years ago I had it on my table at a local gun show and a man named Miles Gilbert stopped to examine it and we decided it was probably built of parts and sold by Bannermans or another old time surplus dealer. After the 1873 came out i think the gov't dumped the old 50 cal stuff on the market pretty fast. Mr. Gilbert then gave me his new book he was peddling , called Getting A Stand, an excellent book of stories on buffalo hunting.
    Now , even if your rifle is a bannerman, it probably still saw more more frontier use than any later trapdoor or fancy Winchester.
    As for the 45-70, if it won't shoot, it would look good wearing an oct barrel and a Gemmer style stock. Have fun

Boolit Buddy
    The 1870 has an 1868 barrel on it and in all likelihood is a Bannerman. If you're considering a reline for the 1873 Bob Hoyt is the go to guy if you rather have someone do it.

You stole those at that price. I *almost* bid on that particular auction number but my evil wife angel was on my shoulder saying "You're retiring in 47 weeks, don't you DARE spend money now!".

Boolit Master
    yes go with hoyt for the reline. he installs the liner then reams and rifles it. not putting a rifled liner in.