Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

View Poll Results: Which Mold For 38 Snubnose (see post one for details)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee 358-125

15 23.08%
  • NOE 360-172 SWC

2 3.08%
  • NOE 360-172 SWC HP

5 7.69%
  • NOE 360-180 WFN GC

9 13.85%
  • Lee 358 200 RNFP GC

2 3.08%
  • Buy Factory SD Ammo

15 23.08%
  • Get a different mold

17 26.15%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Snubnose Bullet Options

Banned
    To All,

I once (LONG ago) was the sole railroad detective was a small railroad & fell in love with a BIG/HEAVY bullet made of 98% lead & about 2% tin for self-defense in the rail-yards & using either my S&W Model 64 snubbie and/or my D-frame Colt's revolver.
    (The only living creature that I ever had to dispatch in a rail-yard was a VERY large & vicious stray dog that tried to take me down about midnight. I would guess that he weighed at least 140-150 pounds. = That 200+ lead CB out of the Model 64 ended his attack, literally in mid-air & before he could take my face off.)

Even at a relatively low speed out of that short barrel, the BIG lead CB makes an awful mess in the K5 area of the human body.
    (I've attended several autopsies & have SEEN what a tumbling & "heavy for caliber" soft lead slug does to bones & soft tissue. = A nearby LA sheriff's department issued .38SPL "Super Police" loads for their Model 28 S&W revolvers & for the department-issued Model 10 snub-nose S&Ws, so I saw several lethal wounds from those handguns.)

just my opinion, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-05-2017 at 09:19 PM.

As expected there is alot of different opinions to be had on this subject. I think a person should carry what they feel comfortable with that being said I think a cast hp boolit using the right alloy would do the job in a SD situation. I have watched some testing done with cast hp's in ballistic gel and they had real good expansion. I take gel tests with a grain of salt they do give you an idea of what a bullet might do but in a real world situation there are alot of elements to condider such as buttons,zippers, jewelry etc. It is easy to get caught up in the hype of the latest and greatest new ammo or how this ammo tested in gel but for me I want to shoot it and if I feel its going to do the job then I will carry it in my own firearm to protect myself and my family.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234