Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Is this something special, or not really (brass question)

Boolit Master

Is this something special, or not really (brass question)

My brother (sadly a non shooter) gave me a box of old rifle brass he found in his basement. His father-in-law (who I unfortunately never met; in fact it was his sudden, untimely passing that was the first time we met my sister-in-law's family at his wake and funeral) was apparently quite an avid hunter, shooter, and reloader. I wish I had known him. My brother and his wife now live in that man's house, and from time to time when my brother uncovers something of interest he passes it on to me.

Anyhow, it is a fairly good size box of fired rifle brass, mostly .30-06 and a bit of other things. Most of the commercial boxes I would say date from the 50's or 60's. But what intrigues me most is there is a lot of (at least a few hundred) military surplus Franford Arsenal National Match .30-06 brass.

http://s204.photobucket.com/user/pat...ff003.jpg.html

It seems I have heard that this is desireable brass. Is this true, or is it no better than any other brass?

Boolit Master

I apologize for you having to click the link; I haven't posted photos in awhile and I don't know if things have changed or if I've just forgotten how to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Frankford Arsenal National Match brass is excellent quality, and in the past was much sought after.

Boolit Grand Master

If Frankfort arsenal the head styamp should be FA and a year ( last two digits of) and maybe a match or NM stamping designating match grade brass. FA brass was sought by NRA high power competitors as it was consistant and of very good quality. It may even be from earlier than the 50s. I would anneal it all and use it

Boolit Master

M72 Match Brass

I still use a lot of FA and LC Match brass and in fact still have some of the loaded M72 rounds which I use as a baseline for accuracy in US Military rifles. The match brass was not crimped at the primer so that is its attraction for reloaders in addition to its long reloading life.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-24-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Yes, very good. I have a few hundred myself in 30/06. As Gent said, I would anneal it before use, enjoy!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies!

I just grabbed one box quick (remember there is lots) and the head stamp is FA 57 and MATCH.

Match brass primers weren't crimped, correct? Also, should any of this be pre-non corrosive primer, would there be any issues from that? I thought I heard or read that the earlier corrosive primers made the brass not as desirable for reloading?

Boolit Master

Right. The primers are not crimped in and it is all non-corrosively primed. I believe that the early FA57 brass is of a slightly different alloy to the later LC Match and it is prefered by many old hands.

While many brands of brass are as uniform or even more so, the old match brass is well worth saving and using.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

It's really terrible brass, don't listen to Scharf........needs to be disposed of by someone like me........

LOLs......all kidding aside that's a good find/gift you got. FA match cases are excellent as Scharfschuetze says. I'used FA 67 cases in the past. I currently have some FA 68 I've dedicated to my M1903A1 NM Type II.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Good ammo, good rifles and good times. All courtesy of Uncle Sam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M72 Match-Cropped.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Somewhere along the way I picked up someone else's brass along with my own at the range and have in my .45 ACP military brass some F A '42 and WW '42 pieces of brass. Can't help but wonder who got hold of that ancient stuff and fired it at the range. It all cleans up good and runs with the best brass I have. Big Boomer

Banned

they probably been shooting it since it hit the open market.
    I still have a couple of spam cans of 30 carbine ammo I paid about 5$ apiece for.
    I just keep on loading the stuff I shot the first time waiting for it to wear out.

Boolit Master
    Hi R5R.A friend has some 30 carbine brass that he got as loaded ammo in about 1960 or 62,and he is still waiting for it to wear out.Even shoots some of it in his carbine with the"MickeyMouse"button.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck