Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 GI Looking for Opinions

Banned

50 GI Looking for Opinions

So i am either going to add .45 ACP
    Or
    The 50 GI
    I am pretty well set up for the .45 ACP, but I keep thinking the .50 GI makes sense
    What say you all???

Boolit Master

Stick with the .45. That's just my advice....

You are already set up for it. Brass is plentiful for the .45 ACP (not so much with .50). Ammo can be had at most any retailer for the .45 ACP (not so much for the .50).
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    You have the Guncrafter 1911 and the Glock Conversion for 50 GI. If you reload, you're better off with 45 ACP.

If you want 50 cal, there's the Desert Eagle or the S&W 500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

The .50 GI doesn't pass the Twodot test. New .50 GI brass costs more than loaded .45 ACP.

IHMO unless you just want a conversation piece stick with the .45 acp.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Don't be talked out of the .50 GI if that is what you WANT. If you're looking for practical rationalization for that cartridge, you will fail.

Since you asked for opinions, what can a .50 GI offer in performance that the .45 acp cannot deliver? Other than personal gratification.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master
    I have all kinds of impractical stuff. If you do not mind spending at least 1500-2000 on gun, dies, brass and moulds and magazines I say have at it. Can't put a price on fun if you don't need to save the money.

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Don't be talked out of the .50 GI if that is what you WANT. If you're looking for practical rationalization for that cartridge, you will fail.

Since you asked for opinions, what can a .50 GI offer in performance that the .45 acp cannot deliver? Other than personal gratification.
    I agree with both points here. If you're heart is really set on it and you think you can justify it, go for it.
    But I'm not seeing it doing much more than just getting a 45 +P barrel can't do just as well and a lot cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

I will say, there something to be said for bragging rights. Claiming the largest legal 'non destructive device' caliber is certainly worthy of a few chest thumps.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    I will say, there something to be said for bragging rights. Claiming the largest legal 'non destructive device' caliber is certainly worthy of a few chest thumps.
    Absolutely. I have several less practical calibers. The cost of my guns, Optics and reloading dies/materials, on average per firearms is about $2300.

Guncrafter is a great firearm. I had the Guncrafter No Name 1911 only in 45 ACP. It's in the same tier as a Wilson or Ed Brown.

They also make Glock Conversions in the desired caliber.

I do recommend that you check into supply lines if you decide to reload and also look into the availability of ammo. Cost of it should not be much of an issue if you can fork out the cost of a Guncrafter... But a gun without ammo is just a glorified paperweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned

I may be wrong, but a complete Glock conversion is around $1k
    http://guncrafterindustries.com/glock-conversion/
    Starline makes the brass
    The 300 grain bullet is going around 725 f's
    I appreciate the comments.
    Every post has be useful.

Guncrafter was actually the cheapest place I found brass, even once fired, I looked quite a bit out of curiosity.
    It's $50 per 100rds.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Two words: Brass Catcher

Boolit Master

The .50 GI offers heavier bullets at low pressure that seems to be its sweet spot. If you have a need to really hammer something and want semi auto it will be a good choice. The downside is yes it is not cheap to get into this platform with a 1911, but the clock conversion is cheap enough, also the ammo is expensive even to load because of the brass so naturally you don't shoot it and let it lay.

I am going to go with the Clock Conversion this year and probably get a 1911 down the road.
    I have friends that are using it on Bowling pins and it is a huge advantage.

Banned

I understand the 300 grain hits like a freight train. Plus I can go back to .45 ACP
    Seems like a good deal all around.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I understand the 300 grain hits like a freight train. Plus I can go back to .45 ACP
    Seems like a good deal all around.
    Sounds like you've got your mind made up, let us know how you like it.

Banned

Well, if I decide to dump $3,000 down tnis rabbit hole, then yes, I am in.
    I would buy a lot of brass for a few hundred dollars.
    Get Tom at Accurate to cut a mold or two
    Buy two Glock platforms
    Than I am all in
    Oh, and all that and the Lee dies that cost a bundle. X 2 = a lot
    I do love big slow bullets

Boolit Master
    I have been to Guncrafter's shop several times and shot the .50 GI, it is a interesting gun to shoot.
    I have came close to buying one my self but then I don't have time to shoot every thing I have now, so I stick with the cal's I shoot in IDPA & USPSA.

A 1911 size .50 is very appealing. The S&W .500 and the Desert Eagle? I'd rather carry my 94 30-30. It's lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A 1911 size .50 is very appealing. The S&W .500 and the Desert Eagle? I'd rather carry my 94 30-30. It's lighter.
    Now there's some perspective!

Boolit Buddy
    Since you already have 45acp go with 50GI, I have 2 Glock conversions, a 5" encore barrel, 15" encore barrel and 3 DI AR15 uppers. I love the 50GI, if you are looking to compare it to the 50AE or 500 S&W it is lacking, if you want to have a 50 cal handgun that weighs less then a VW it is the one to choose. If you reload it is even better. You can use 230gr - 400gr bullets. There are several cast bullet molds avaliable and I have designed several for the 50GI and had Tom at Accurate Molds cut them. As for brass yes it cost more but I have several hundred that I have reloaded 20+ times. I keep loads to what it was designed for and brass life is great. Usually when a case goes bad it is a crack @ the mouth and then I use them for dummy rounds to set up my dies. It is also accurate and shooting 8" steel @ 100 yds is easy with both handguns, AR's and both encore barrels. Not sure if you are into suppressors but the 50GI suppresses very well, it is not as quite as a 22lr suppressed but I have never seen a 22lr launch a 400gr bullet. Guncrafters also has 2 factory loads that would be great for self defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast