WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dillon550 powder funnel die 50 GI and 500L

Boolit Buddy

Dillon550 powder funnel die 50 GI and 500L

Have any of you made your own powder funnel dies for the Dillon 550 press?...I need to make one so I can load some 50 GI rounds and 500 Linebaugh and I don稚 know of anyone making one for these calibers. I知 already set up with dies and shellholders. I have a machine shop so I値l make a few of them. Question...what metal alloy should I use to make the powder funnel sizing die. (Lyman M style) ??? Will I need to heat treat this after to harden it some??...I値l be making this on a Monarch EE manual lathe so I値l be using HSS or carbide insert tooling. Thanks in advance.

The Dillon powder funnel for 50 Action Express and 500 S&W also works for 500 Linebaugh. We don't offer one for 50 GI, as it would need a longer funnel and a different profile. Dillon handgun powder funnels are carbo-nitrate heat treated to the mid-60s on the Rockwell C scale. If you make the funnel from drill rod or tool steel, you can probably get away without hardening, but case-hardening the flaring portion will give it a longer life. Kasenite should work for this. Follow the profile for a 45ACP funnel, with the larger funnel body diameter and expander dimensions scaled up.

Boolit Buddy
    DillonH....Thanks for the info. I have some kasenite at the house as well. Going to try a couple of different steels. I thought about using the 50AE for the 50GI but wasn’t sure about the OAL of the funnel. Also... my 500L uses a .512” bullet instead of the .501” used in the 500SW.