Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Win. 94's.....say what??!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was in a shop yesterday and looked at one probably from the 70's in decent shape for $389. Considered buying it as most of them seem to have stupid prices on them lately, but I really don't need another lever gun.

I have been intrigued by the Mossberg 464s and like how Mossberg jumped to fill that market niche when the '94 ceased production, but I'm not gonna pay the new price for a 464 when I can still find older Winchesters or Marlins around for the same money or less.
    You can buy a nice 464 for $300.00 or less. My first one I paid $220.00 for, the one I have now was $300.00 like new. I think the 464 is a better entry level .30-30 than the current Remlin 336W. They cost about the same and the 464 definitely is put together with more care and the wood and metal finish is much nicer. Mossy's factory service is good if you should ever need it. I don't think Winny offers any factory service for the New Haven 94's but I could be wrong. I think they send them to contractors like Remington does, which can be a roll of the dice. I remember they told me to send my 2002 94 to Williams Gunsight for the barrel clocked wrong problem.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    It's always the marvel of one generation what the next must pay for goods.

Some day someone will comment how they can remember when them 94's could be had for less than $1500 new.

It's not the cost of goods that has increased but the value of the dollar that has decreased.
    A bar of gold big enough to buy a mansion on a hill 200 years ago will buy the same mansion today for the most part.
    That's how money works. Hold has a set value. Money fluctuates in value relative to gold, not the other way around.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    94 prices are even more volatile than gold. The price on the very nice 1978 model I have on layaway, described in another thread, was $400.00. Cabela's here in town wants $700.00 for a 1979 model with rust on the receiver and a sidesaddle scope mount that I'm sure required extra holes drilled.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    94 prices are even more volatile than gold. The price on the very nice 1978 model I have on layaway, described in another thread, was $400.00. Cabela's here in town wants $700.00 for a 1979 model with rust on the receiver and a sidesaddle scope mount that I'm sure required extra holes drilled.
    That just comes from the fact that cabelas is run by people who don't know anything about gun values.

Thank you OP, made my day. I found a pair of Win 94's a year ago at the local pawn shop. Paid 350$ for the post 64 AE in very nice condition. Went back a week later and paid 650$ for a very nice pre -64 made in 1944, great shape. Unhappily it has a somewhat strange bore. Big at the chamber, a tight constriction at the rear sight dovetail that tapers lager to the bore.

I tried bullets as large as .312 and fired 10 at a target at 25 yards and had one hit. Other 9 were lost in space.

I need to send it to JES get it turned into a .35-30-30 or .38-55 but just wonder if it is worth spending the money on. I'm on a pretty tight budget so it hard to shell out that kind of cast for a gun I may never use.

Still you made me feel better about both of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123