Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win. 94's.....say what??!!

Banned

I was in a shop yesterday and looked at one probably from the 70's in decent shape for $389. Considered buying it as most of them seem to have stupid prices on them lately, but I really don't need another lever gun.

I have been intrigued by the Mossberg 464s and like how Mossberg jumped to fill that market niche when the '94 ceased production, but I'm not gonna pay the new price for a 464 when I can still find older Winchesters or Marlins around for the same money or less.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Look what M-1 carbines are going for now. Saw two at a show Sat., $1250 and $1400, and both pretty beat up.
    You got that right. Back in the 1970's I just had to have a M1 Carbine. Got one dirt cheap, and it shot good, was nice to carry.
    Dang thing had trouble putting ground hogs down with 110 gr soft points. I could hit'em, but it just wouldn't always stop'em from running back to their hole. Gave it to my brother, free of charge. He still has it!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I hope he realizes what a good brother you are Hickok!
    Around here Pre 64s are $600 and up; post 64s are $300-400; AEs are the same if they are 30-30.
    Exotic calibers go for a bit more. A Big Bore .375 Win sat on the rack for two weeks at $450 recently at the LGS before someone snatched it. It was an XTR and quite nice.
    Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    You got that right. Back in the 1970's I just had to have a M1 Carbine. Got one dirt cheap, and it shot good, was nice to carry.
    Dang thing had trouble putting ground hogs down with 110 gr soft points. I could hit'em, but it just wouldn't always stop'em from running back to their hole. Gave it to my brother, free of charge. He still has it!
    And that's why I'm not a big fan of that round/gun. About the same weight and size you could have had the Ruger 44mag carbine that would drop things. But I'm persnickety.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I hope he realizes what a good brother you are Hickok!
    Around here Pre 64s are $600 and up; post 64s are $300-400; AEs are the same if they are 30-30.
    Exotic calibers go for a bit more. A Big Bore .375 Win sat on the rack for two weeks at $450 recently at the LGS before someone snatched it. It was an XTR and quite nice.
    Best, Thomas.
    Dad asked me to look at the last gun show I went to, $800 was the cheapest I saw, and it was rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

I'm glad I bought several Winchesters years ago when the prices were still quite reasonable. I didn't pay anywhere near that new price for my '94 take down rifle. Mfg in 1895, second year of production for the '94 model and first year for the .30 WCF cartridge.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Looking on the Winchester site at the Model 94 AE's. Retail running from $1200 to $1450 !!! These are not the high end models either.

I realize they could be had for somewhat less else where, but these are Winchester's listed retail prices.

Someone has to be nuts. These cost as much or more than what I paid for my Weatherby MK V .257 magnum about 10 years ago.

I guess I am just getting old.

I have a pre-64 1894 30/30 and a 94AE Legacy color case hardened 38/55 26"barrel, and a 94 AE .44 mag with nice checkered wood....maybe I could sell them and buy a motorcycle!
    Sell your house too, and buy a H-D cvo.
    1 Corinthians 15:33
    Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Boolit Buddy

Hickok if you decide to sell the 94 Legacy 38-55 I would be happy to help put you closer to that motorcycle .

Alan

The 30-30's still go for dirt cheap. Nobody really wants those. It's the other calibers that are commanding the high prices.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Not quite.... The only Japanese made "Winchester" prior to the New Haven plant closing was the imported Model 101/96 O/U shotgun llne in the 1960's, next followed in 1993 by some other models (M-12, M-42, M-52).

Here's the timeline skinny, from the horse's mouth: http://www.winchesterguns.com/suppor...igns-move.html

I stand corrected Pietro, thanks for remembering that for me.

Banned
    i've only seen 30-30, 94s(no ae) go from $400-$600 around here. i remember after deer season(, they were $150 with/without a scope. they stayed that way till '07 or '08, then the '94 was (price wise) unreachable. then they would go $800 and up. but they settled down, but i will never own another one until they go down in price. i have a 94(top eject) in 30-30 that was made in the early '70s, it was my first deer gun and i got my first buck with it.

Boolit Master

TDoyka That is what really gave me the sticker shock. I was always used to seeing the 94's for bargain prices in the years past since I got off Noah's Ark, and I knew they had gone up. But I didn't think the 94's price had skyrocketed.

It is what it is! BUT, to me the Win. 94 ain't never gonna' be the Rolex of rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    got to recoup the fuel costs somehow
    it takes a lot of fuel to get across the water
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    TDoyka That is what really gave me the sticker shock. I was always used to seeing the 94's for bargain prices in the years past since I got off Noah's Ark, and I knew they had gone up. But I didn't think the 94's price had skyrocketed.

It is what it is! BUT, to me the Win. 94 ain't never gonna' be the Rolex of rifles.
    i think(i do alot of that now) a brand new winchester model 1894 in 30-30 was around $200-$225 in the mid '80s. a used 1894 in 32win sp will go $500-$600 in the mid '80s. this year i seen a '94 in 32win sp that goes for $900. next year it might go up or go down, it depends on on the guy who wants or don't want it. for me, it would be nice to have it but i won't pay $900, heck i wouldn't pay $400 for a '94.

one day i took my 30-30 out of the closet(now everything has to be locked up and in a safe) and i found rust on the receiver. this was the day we had no internet, just me and the gunsmith. i said to myself, no problem i'll just wipe it off with gun oil. (it sat unused for 2 years) i was wrong, i tried everything but the rust stayed the same. i took it with tears in my eyes, to my gunsmith. i figured he could get the rust off. i was wrong. i was told not to "blue" the rust because it will continue to rust. the metal was some kinda of alloy that didn't require blueing because it was already "blue". it was a cost cutting device that some bean counter came up with. like the "aluminum can" firing pin that didn't work on my '94. now it sits in "high place" of guns(ok, in my safe) to be cremated with me. i'm working on the cremated gun, the wood poses no problem but the steel won't be like ashes!!!

a '94 and the rem 760's were everywhere in PA. you either had a 30-30 or a 30-06 to kill deer. you would see a bolt action, ruger #1, or a savage 99 only rarely. nowadays most people won't take a lever action if you would give it to them. the 30-06 or 270win in a bolt action with a plastic stock seems to be everybody's gun.
    Last edited by tdoyka; 07-26-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I see today's prices I divide by ten to get a seventies price before we had galloping inflation.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Bought my "94 AE 2 years go from a pawn shop for $75 bucks. Thirty/thirty caliber, like new with the box.

Guess I'm one lucky pup!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

JCwit, I would have jumped on that deal like a gorilla on a banana tree!

Boolit Mold
    I can't find a 94 AE in 357 for a decent price. Who's got one to part with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

JCwit, I would have jumped on that deal like a gorilla on a banana tree!
    Believe it, I did!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    The Winchester lever guns being marketed now are made in Japan by Miroku. Really nice guns......but??
    Mirrors my feelings. They are very well made. But I'm not a fan of any of Winchester's lever actions. I will take a Marlin over one every time. I have no need for collector pieces in my safe anymore. To bad Miroku doesn't make Marlins. I would gladly pay the asking price.

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to buy a M94 in 32WS in June for $450 here in SE PA. Under the crud and some surface rust on the barrel and receiver from poor storage was a lovely little eastern carbine rifle, which dates to February 1937 according to the Cody Museum. Shot a very nice group with 170gr Hornadys and 3031. I just cast 50 boolits with a Lyman 321265 HP mold that I overpaid for on eBay, and I am going to try them with 8 grains of Unique which I have had luck with in my M94 30/30. Can't wait to shoot it in August.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast