ADvertise hereRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionGraf & Sons
Titan ReloadingStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Best way to completely plug the bore of a SAA?

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    66

    Best way to completely plug the bore of a SAA?

    I'm aging a SAA and would like to plug the bore on it so no damage is done there. What would be the best route to take for both the front and back of the barrel?

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Soda Springs, Idaho
    Posts
    722
    Use a rubber plug.

    Dick

  3. #3
    Moderator



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    2,900
    Rubber plugs. They sell sets of them at Harbor Freight for not much money.

    Hope this helps.

    Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master 35 Whelen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    1,053
    I used rubber plugs, but you have to be careful to not jar them loose. If/when I need to seal the bore of a revolver, I'll likely drive an over size pure lead ball down the barrel; one for the muzzle and one for the other end.

    If I may ask, what aging method are you using?

    35W
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting." -Col. Townsend Whelen.
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor

  5. #5
    Anything put in the bore will likely be there when the gun is fired. Remove the cylinder, place it in a velvet pouch and tied to the top strap. Pack the bore with grease.

  6. #6
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I used rubber plugs, but you have to be careful to not jar them loose. If/when I need to seal the bore of a revolver, I'll likely drive an over size pure lead ball down the barrel; one for the muzzle and one for the other end.

    If I may ask, what aging method are you using?

    35W

    Well



    Saturday I got involved with a bottle of wine. Ended up buying 2 guns off Gunbroker. A 20" Cimarron 1878 coach gun and a $199 Mossberg 500 with wood furniture and a 20" barrel.

    My spree did not end there. I attempted to age my Cimarron SAA by wrapping a vinegar soaked damp paper towel around the cylinder to put "high spots aging" on it. DO NOT DO THIS! I read this method in a thread I searched. So last night I realized I now have to fix this. So the whole gun will be aged.

    I will strip most of the bluing using white vinegar and will leave probably 20% case hardening for looks. After that probably brown the metal or rust blue it.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master 35 Whelen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Well



    Saturday I got involved with a bottle of wine. Ended up buying 2 guns off Gunbroker. A 20" Cimarron 1878 coach gun and a $199 Mossberg 500 with wood furniture and a 20" barrel.

    My spree did not end there. I attempted to age my Cimarron SAA by wrapping a vinegar soaked damp paper towel around the cylinder to put "high spots aging" on it. DO NOT DO THIS! I read this method in a thread I searched. So last night I realized I now have to fix this. So the whole gun will be aged.

    I will strip most of the bluing using white vinegar and will leave probably 20% case hardening for looks. After that probably brown the metal or rust blue it.
    I wouldn't worry myself about it. I couldn't care less what a firearms looks like and am far more concerned with how it shoots.

    I did the same thing with an older Uberti. Stripped the finish with vinegar, then began experimenting with antiquing methods. It's difficult to find something that "sticks". A slurry of hydrogen peroxide and salt applied to the metal will bubble orange and look like it's destroying the gun, but wipes/polishes off the high spots after several trips in and out of the holster.

    Here's the revolver in question, you can sort of see how the finish looks. I carry it almost every day and would have to say it's my favorite pistol.



    35W
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting." -Col. Townsend Whelen.
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor

  8. #8
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    66
    That looks very nice. Here is my Richards Mason conversion that I did. Keep in mind this is a brand new gun that hasn't even been shot. It started off looking like this.



    After about 2 weeks I got it to look like this. Grips and everything I aged.






  9. #9
    Boolit Master 35 Whelen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    1,053
    I really like that. How did you achieve that finish?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting." -Col. Townsend Whelen.
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    runfiverun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    soda springs Id.
    Posts
    27,976
    he loaned It to me to take deer hunting last fall.
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

    this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

  11. #11
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Denial
    Posts
    2,005
    I wonder what Doug Turnbull would charge to undo all of that.
    WWJMBD?

    Buried in molds until covered with mold.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,232
    I used foam ear plugs in the barrel and cylinder and Birchwood Casey Blue remover on a C&B revolver. Cold blue will age brass frames giving a pleasing mustard patina.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master Drm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    538
    I did this with a couple replica C&B colts. I cleaned bore and other holes that I wanted left as is
    with acetone and poured them full of paraffin wax, the kind that is used in canning food.

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Posts
    472
    I would pour in wax to fill the bore.

    Beeswax, Candlewax, cheesewax or earwax whatever you fancy.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master Good Cheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the Ark
    Posts
    2,666
    Been wondering what to do with a brass framed Pietta .44 picked up for cheap. Looking at formulas the 1932 edition of the Scientific American Cyclopedia of Formulas gives recipes for coloring brass to be steel blue, steel gray, verde, red, violet, silver, white, bronze, iridescence, mottling, green, olive green, gold, frosting, curling, brown, blue, black...
    Yall's fine looking pictures might have pushed me over the edge.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC Arkansas
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Been wondering what to do with a brass framed Pietta .44 picked up for cheap. Looking at formulas the 1932 edition of the Scientific American Cyclopedia of Formulas gives recipes for coloring brass to be steel blue, steel gray, verde, red, violet, silver, white, bronze, iridescence, mottling, green, olive green, gold, frosting, curling, brown, blue, black...
    Yall's fine looking pictures might have pushed me over the edge.
    https://ia600707.us.archive.org/24/i...eric04hopk.pdf

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    gardners pa.
    Posts
    2,539
    I age my guns very slowly. I just shoot them after a few years they start to take on a used look.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master
    2ndAmendmentNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,729
    Man I tell you, if I ever sobered up to find my gun wrapped in a vinegar rag I would swear of alcohol for good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

  19. #19
    Boolit Master
    2ndAmendmentNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I age my guns very slowly. I just shoot them after a few years they start to take on a used look.
    This is my preferred method. Nothing like a little honest wear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check