MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Best way to completely plug the bore of a SAA?

Best way to completely plug the bore of a SAA?

I'm aging a SAA and would like to plug the bore on it so no damage is done there. What would be the best route to take for both the front and back of the barrel?

Boolit Master
    Use a rubber plug.

Dick

Rubber plugs. They sell sets of them at Harbor Freight for not much money.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I used rubber plugs, but you have to be careful to not jar them loose. If/when I need to seal the bore of a revolver, I'll likely drive an over size pure lead ball down the barrel; one for the muzzle and one for the other end.

If I may ask, what aging method are you using?

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Anything put in the bore will likely be there when the gun is fired. Remove the cylinder, place it in a velvet pouch and tied to the top strap. Pack the bore with grease.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I used rubber plugs, but you have to be careful to not jar them loose. If/when I need to seal the bore of a revolver, I'll likely drive an over size pure lead ball down the barrel; one for the muzzle and one for the other end.

If I may ask, what aging method are you using?

35W

Well

Saturday I got involved with a bottle of wine. Ended up buying 2 guns off Gunbroker. A 20" Cimarron 1878 coach gun and a $199 Mossberg 500 with wood furniture and a 20" barrel.

My spree did not end there. I attempted to age my Cimarron SAA by wrapping a vinegar soaked damp paper towel around the cylinder to put "high spots aging" on it. DO NOT DO THIS! I read this method in a thread I searched. So last night I realized I now have to fix this. So the whole gun will be aged.

I will strip most of the bluing using white vinegar and will leave probably 20% case hardening for looks. After that probably brown the metal or rust blue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Well

Saturday I got involved with a bottle of wine. Ended up buying 2 guns off Gunbroker. A 20" Cimarron 1878 coach gun and a $199 Mossberg 500 with wood furniture and a 20" barrel.

My spree did not end there. I attempted to age my Cimarron SAA by wrapping a vinegar soaked damp paper towel around the cylinder to put "high spots aging" on it. DO NOT DO THIS! I read this method in a thread I searched. So last night I realized I now have to fix this. So the whole gun will be aged.

I will strip most of the bluing using white vinegar and will leave probably 20% case hardening for looks. After that probably brown the metal or rust blue it.
    I wouldn't worry myself about it. I couldn't care less what a firearms looks like and am far more concerned with how it shoots.

I did the same thing with an older Uberti. Stripped the finish with vinegar, then began experimenting with antiquing methods. It's difficult to find something that "sticks". A slurry of hydrogen peroxide and salt applied to the metal will bubble orange and look like it's destroying the gun, but wipes/polishes off the high spots after several trips in and out of the holster.

Here's the revolver in question, you can sort of see how the finish looks. I carry it almost every day and would have to say it's my favorite pistol.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

That looks very nice. Here is my Richards Mason conversion that I did. Keep in mind this is a brand new gun that hasn't even been shot. It started off looking like this.

After about 2 weeks I got it to look like this. Grips and everything I aged.

I really like that. How did you achieve that finish?

NRA Life Member

Banned

he loaned It to me to take deer hunting last fall.

Boolit Master

I wonder what Doug Turnbull would charge to undo all of that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I used foam ear plugs in the barrel and cylinder and Birchwood Casey Blue remover on a C&B revolver. Cold blue will age brass frames giving a pleasing mustard patina.

I did this with a couple replica C&B colts. I cleaned bore and other holes that I wanted left as is
    with acetone and poured them full of paraffin wax, the kind that is used in canning food.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I would pour in wax to fill the bore.

Beeswax, Candlewax, cheesewax or earwax whatever you fancy.

Been wondering what to do with a brass framed Pietta .44 picked up for cheap. Looking at formulas the 1932 edition of the Scientific American Cyclopedia of Formulas gives recipes for coloring brass to be steel blue, steel gray, verde, red, violet, silver, white, bronze, iridescence, mottling, green, olive green, gold, frosting, curling, brown, blue, black...
    Yall's fine looking pictures might have pushed me over the edge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Been wondering what to do with a brass framed Pietta .44 picked up for cheap. Looking at formulas the 1932 edition of the Scientific American Cyclopedia of Formulas gives recipes for coloring brass to be steel blue, steel gray, verde, red, violet, silver, white, bronze, iridescence, mottling, green, olive green, gold, frosting, curling, brown, blue, black...
    Yall's fine looking pictures might have pushed me over the edge.
    https://ia600707.us.archive.org/24/i...eric04hopk.pdf

Boolit Master
    I age my guns very slowly. I just shoot them after a few years they start to take on a used look.

Boolit Master
    Man I tell you, if I ever sobered up to find my gun wrapped in a vinegar rag I would swear of alcohol for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I age my guns very slowly. I just shoot them after a few years they start to take on a used look.
    This is my preferred method. Nothing like a little honest wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly