MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Range repot DMPS Sweet 16

Range repot DMPS Sweet 16

This is a follow up to the "Thinking About a Mini-14" thread. The upshot is that we got a good trade on a DPMS sweet 16. We liked it because it is the least "tactical AR we saw. Today was the second trip to the range with boolits. The boolit was Lyman 224415 sized .225, lubed with Ben's red and then swirled in Lars 45-45-10. Brass was a Hodge podgy of military and all brands of range pickup. Powder was 18.5 grains of IMR4895. Here is the 50 yard target shot off bags with a Leupold 2x7 scope mounted. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_135212 (360x640).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	200276 Mrs. Thumbcocker shot clay birds at 100 yards and then shot pieces and pieces of pieces. We did have a few problems. There were occasional failures to go into battery and failures to feed. Sometimes the boolit hung up on the edge of the chamber but all in all things went well. I thought I might need to seat the boolit out further but we are close on the Lyman oal of 2.060. Any suggestions are welcome. I did take the advice of some Vietnam era vets and ran the rifle wet. It was generously lubed with Break Free CLP and that definitely seem to help it run. I don't think this gun has been shot much as the finish on the bottom of the bolt was still pristine. I also don't think there is much of a throat in the barrel. All in all progress is being made. There was no evidence of lead in the barrel or on the bolt. Looks like with a bit of tweaking we will have a good load. There is a 5 cavity NOE 55 grain RCBS clone heading our way so we will be trying that cast of wdww.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Good work. That sad face flyer is hilarious. Any pics of HER rifle?

Vendor Sponsor

run it wet .. the lower end DPMS line is not finished as well as some of their higher end guns and needs run time to smooth things up
    Its a fine shooter after several hundred rds and all the burrs are smoothed out
    enjoy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

And you really can't get them too wet! I've read of people dumping ATF on them to break them in. I've read a lot on these, as I bought an AR-10. I had mine wetter than I cared for, but not a single malfunction with it in the first 100rds. After that I lubed it like normal and have only had one problem with it, that was when I was developing cast loads for it. The nose of the bullets were getting hung up in the leade, not the guns fault at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

The "sad face flyer" is actually a hole from when I was sighting in the gun for elevation so it's not part of the group. I crossed it out and it just looks like a sad face.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Never worry about flier's. Just state you were trying to tighten up some "one round groups".
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.