Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1903 and cast bullets. Want advice before I buy

Quote Originally Posted by guicksylver View Post
    Agreed the H-S barrels were of outstanding quality..I just recently sold my last two NOS ones for the 03's..

What I was saying was that ,if memory serves (I'm 69.5), there were a limited number of H-S barrels used on the SC's that had an odd number of grooves...again if memory serves they didn't want to immediately change their milling practices from 5 groove to four when they started supplying the 03a3 barrels..could be wrong ..the "way back machine" is not always working correctly ...Dan

And it wasn't.... quick research says they were 6 groove...
    I am 75 and memory is near as trustworthy as it was when I was 69. See what you have to look forward to.

I have always attributed, without any proof, the superior performance of the S-C 03A3 to the High Standard barrels.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Where's the LG?.....I might send you the money to buy it ..the parts alone are worth more than the asking ptice..$300.00+ in sights $250.00 in hardware...$200.00 in stock even with chip..not to mention the barreled action...If that in fact is on 03a3..that's all 03 milled hardware on that gun..
    people have been known to put 03 hardware on 03a3 target lik that ..I have an 03a4 Sniper clone I did that to...also they removed the rear sight collar on 03's and installed a 03a3 hand guard when making target guns out of 03'3s ..they end up looking like the one pictured..
    I forgot to answer your question.
    Here in Tallahassee Fla, where are you?
    I could ask him if he would ship it. (and what it would cost if you want)
    let me know

Boolit Buddy
    I love this site ..while your typing away showing off all that useless stored knowledge..someone comes along and post better information on the same subject before you can finish...

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=aephilli822;4111597]blatantly stolen from NRA website-

blatantly "borrowed" from NRA website-my friend...

Boolit Buddy
    blatantly "borrowed" from NRA website-my friend...
    nope, stolen, as in "i ain't givin' it back"

P.S. let me know if you want me to check with the shop about shipping the 1903, or more details

Boolit Buddy
    Do i need a mint gun or will it shoot ok with some wear on it.
    that's one of the benefits of casting your own. if the barrel is a bit worn, just increase boolit size. I have a garand that I shot the barrel out of, wouldn't hit a 24x36 pig at 300 meters. I started shooting .311 sized boolits (instead of .309). shoots just like it did when I first bought it.

Boolit Master
    Because of the massive amount of knoledge that is avalible on this sight Im going to buy a sportrized 1903 with Redfield sights. Im wanting a gun to shoot and I think this will be the best way to spend my money. I know this is a total 180 but you have shown me the flaw in my original plan.

Boolit Buddy
    Still a great move.
    Still get a great gun..still fot great hostory..still got great acuracy. ..and still got money left over to customize it making it even more yours..wins all along...good luck..

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen and fired both 2 and 4 groove rifles that shot better than I could shoot them. my 61 year old eyes no longer lend themselves to really tight groups. If I can keep them in the black at 200 yards, or ring the 13" gong at 200, I'm thrilled.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234