WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Flash-Pan to Flash-Hole distance

Boolit Buddy

Flash-Pan to Flash-Hole distance

any one know the proper placement of the flint-Lock pan to the flash hole ?
    I've read some put the hole to the bottom of the pan and some keep the hole up over the pan a tad,

looking for the correct setup as ill be carving in my Lock-plate in the stock this week, (my barrel already has the hole in it--so i have to match the Lock to the hole)

Thank you John

In Remembrance
    Most consensus is the touch hole should be centered in the flash pan at the "sun down" position over the top of the pan. So, centered in the pan with the hole centered at the top of the pan.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

duelist1954 on the YouTube discusses flash hole placement on a TOW Bucks County flinter build.

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Most consensus is the touch hole should be centered in the flash pan at the "sun down" position over the top of the pan. So, centered in the pan with the hole centered at the top of the pan.
    And a small diameter round rat tail file can be oh so handy when working on a threaded flash hole insert.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    + 1 ^ ^ ^ mazo

You want fast ignition so the flash hole needs to be at the top of the pan in the center - put it too low in the pan and your priming charge has to "burn down". While powder flashes fast, there will definitely be a noticeable lag in the charge ignition if the flash hole is too low.

Just as a side note - it always amazed me when I hear or read of folks talking about the slow ignition of a flintlock and having to wait for the gun to go off. If the flash hole is properly placed, a person shouldn't notice any "delay" (for want of a better word). I've even heard folks say such things about a percussion cap ignition. Part of that mental state is probably nothing more than "expectation" - similar to shooting a modern pistol or rifle and flinching with the anticipation of recoil. Once you are used to a flint or percussion rifle, and all is working well, you should be aiming and pulling the trigger - and not worrying about such things as cap snap, big boom, recoil, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    thank you very much

Boolit Master
    If you have a Flintlock that has the touch hole near the bottom of the pan here is a tip that works well.After priming tilt the gun away from the touch hole prior to firing.It will fire just as fast as a gun with the Touch Hole in the correct place.

Boolit Man
    I bought a used flintlock from a coworker once. He claimed he never shot it and I believe him. The pan completely covered the touch hole. A little dremel tool work to deepen the pan and it was good to go...