Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dupont Bulk powder

Boolit Master

Dupont Bulk powder

I got a number of cans of Dupont Bulk from an estate.
    I have found loading information for 22 hornet and 37 grain bullets - velocity and pressure seem to be spot on with the published data from the old Lyman Manual.
    Accuracy with a plain base, powder coat bullet in the Hornet is excellent. Velocity is very consistent with weighed powder charges.

There don't seem to be any other sources of data for this ancient powder.

Any one have any data from the 1930s on using this in pistols or rifles with cast bullets?

BTW, the powder smoke smells the same as Dupont / CIL / Dominion rimfire ammo from the 1950s, it also has the same green colour but not grain size.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

USMC 77, USRA 79

What sort of data are you looking for??? Did you check castpics older reloading manuals. I have older manuals.. let us know what sort of boolits you wanna load.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Assuming your DuPont Bulk Powder is in cans something similar to this one:
    Attachment 200233

The following comes from Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading", 1937 edition:

"Du Pont Bulk Shotgun. Introduced 1893. Still Manufactured 1937. One of the first successful nitrocellulose powders in shotguns. Not a true bulk-for bulk but closely approaching it. Quite hygroscopic but extremely successful in its field. In shot shells it was for many years the favorite with trap shooters because of its smooth recoil, even after more ballistically satisfactory shotgun powders had been developed. The recoil was easier on the shoulder than that developed by the dense powders exemplified in Infallible and Ballistite. It was designed to burn at around 9000 pounds pressure and riflemen soon learned that it coud be used in a variety of cartridges of many types, particularly for reduced loads much along the lines of the Scheutzen and Rifle Smokeless #1. It can be used in the Springfield for gallery charges, and when loads are properly developed the accuracy is equal to that obtained with #75 and #80. It is coarse in granulation and quite friable. The reloader should sift it carefully on a very fine screen or agitate it in a very shallow dish while blowing gently on it to remove dust. It can be used in revolvers for indoor gallery loads and light charges, particularly with round balls. In this case the best performance is obtained when the lead balls are seated deeply in the cartridge case to compress the powder. this means using a straight case."

None of the loading handbooks I have from the 1930s (or any era, for that matter) list rifle or pistol loads using this powder. Its intended purpose was for use solely in shotshells. The use of thes powder in rifle and pistol cartridges appears to have been in the realm of the experimenters, outside of the published data.

However, a quick look around the internet did turn up these previous threads, probably a bit more along the lines of what you are looking for:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...shotgun-powder

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lk-quot-Powder

Boolit Master

Thank you for your replies.
    I was hoping to find a load for a 150 grain cast bullet in 30/30 but the comments in the threads and links tell me that there are unknown variables that could lead to pressure excursions.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - figgerout some way to "reference test" this olde "estate powder".
    YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW ITS BEEN STORED!!!
    (Hope it smells "sweet" and isn't "all clumped up"?)
    Maybe check a load from olde reloading manual / info?)
    Last edited by GONRA; 07-31-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Banned

Banned

44 grs in a 12 ga 2-3/4" shell with cardboard spacers gave about 1150 fps.
    bulk was almost a dead ringer volume wise for black powder and was popular for clay target shooting because of that trait.

Boolit Grand Master

The old cans are collectable. If you don't want them maybe we can work something out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I remember references to DuPont Bulk Powder in my early 1960's Lee Loader instructions. You measured it with a scoop provided in the loader kit and used it in paper cases with a nitro over powder card and felt wads.

The "Charge Table" that came with the Lee Loader lists the following loads for DuPont Bulk Powder.

10 Gauge 3 1/2" hull 5 Dram Equivalent with 1 3/4 oz of shot - Use shot measure set at 1 1/2 oz. of shot.
    12 gauge 2 3/4" hull 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent with 1 1/8 oz. shot - Use shot measure set at 7/8 oz. of shot.
    16 gauge 2 3/4" hull 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent with 1 oz. of shot- Use shot measure
    set at 7/8 oz.
    20 gauge 2 3/4" hull 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent with 7/8 oz. of shot - Use shot measure set at 7/8 oz.
    Regards
    John